PDA

View Full Version : tank thoughs

Alove2frag
06-16-2009, 07:38 AM
ive been reading the tankspot forum since i started tanking on my dk and in the past few weeks i saw a lot of discussion on frost and blood tanks i myself am a frost tank but where is unholy at the moment in tanking is it becoming like the drop out of the 3 trees or am i wrong i don't play much so i don't get enough time to test it out for myself if anyone tried and though about trying it post their findings etc thanks in advance

Voodan
06-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Unholy is a viable tanking spec. However, to be truly effective it requires a significant amount of avoidance (the kind of which with current content is mostly found on deep/ hard mode) Ulduar gear. It's still around just the most difficult to get a base gear level for imo.

Alove2frag
06-16-2009, 07:43 AM
statwise what numbers in avoidance do you think would make it viable enough

Esch
06-16-2009, 08:59 AM
I found Unholy to start functioning adequately (heroic) at 40% avoidance (dodge/parry). Ultimately it's all about keeping Boneshield up as long as possible. Tricks like pre-casting Boneshield so the CD resets early into a fight or using trinkets work as well. Being a JC with the 1 min CD on Monarch Crab can be huge in that regard.

Satorri
06-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Unholy tanks just fine, but the issue is with the vulnerable periods. For the sake of survival the whole tree relies on a single ability, Bone Shield, to be durable against a physical beating. Otherwise you have nothing. With a 2 min CD on Bone Shield you can easily run into noticeable windows where you are unprotected and you will take more damage. It's not a horrible thing, DK's are pretty durable, but you look at that next to Frost's additional 3% miss and 2% damage reduction with a longer IBF duration, or Blood's heavy heals combined with talents like WotN and the Stam buffing from Vot3W, and Unholy *looks* weaker on survival.

You don't *need* avoidance to make Bone Shield better, in fact that's not really how it works (unless you're talking about tanking lots of stuff at once). Avoidance increases your survival value all on its own, and it simply feels better because you don't use Bone Shield as quickly. Unholy is best served with heavy amounts of avoidance and that is not hard to get, nor does it require Ulduar gear to be effective.

Unholy is just not in a good PR place right now, and I'm hoping it is on Blizz's shopping list for things to give attention to. Hopefully they'll fill in a little more of something to help in the gaps when Bone Shield is down, or they'll drop the CD on Bone Shield a bit.

Alove2frag
06-17-2009, 06:18 AM
i wanted to spec unholy coz we're 3 dks in guild and 1 is blood and 2 of us are frost so i was thinking speccing unholy to brng in some raid utility but anyway looking forward to changes in unholy to make it more efficient in tanking

Satorri
06-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Sounds smart to me, spread it around!

Hardline
06-18-2009, 04:58 AM
Yea you want to see an unholy spec where the tank takes a beating literally then spec like this:

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Fenris&n=Starfirerose&group=1)

Sure you put out some threat and DPS but man you will take some damage.

Satorri
06-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Ouch, that's one heck of a hodge podge spec. It'd have good base values for armor, health, and avoidance, but the lack of CD's or deep tree survival tools would make it somewhat shakey. I can't see where the strong threat would come from though...

Molohk
06-18-2009, 03:56 PM
The main strike would be Oblit, but you don't have any of the good buffs to it. Also, why spend points in Night of the Dead and Master of Ghouls if you are going for a high threat spec? Like Satorri, I can't see where's the big threat in that spec (DCs would be packing a good punch, but that's about it).

Hardline
06-19-2009, 04:41 AM
Trust me I agree with you guys. that is what the person that has that spec told me when I questioned him.

Not suprisingly , I got Gkicked from that guild for "asking to many confrontational questions" to the RL in whispers about his spec and boss strats.

Now i have a new guild and lead my own 10man group. We just went in last nite to Ulduar and downed 5 bosses in 3 hours and did FLV on hard mode with 1 tower up.

But yeah - imo his spec is epic fail and he is the MT for that guild in all of their 25 man runs. Its fun healing him.

Satorri
06-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Eek, sounds like you dodged a bullet.