PDA

View Full Version : Help with prot warrior

Dur
06-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Hello everyone, i found my way here after sad problems with my warrior tanking. I have been doing heroics for a while now and for some reason problems have started to appear recently. Couple days back in UP heroic the healer asked me if my defence was even capped, perhaps he thought i was taking too much damage?
I cant help but to think there has to be something wrong with my warrior... please help? I take all suggestions i can have, whether its build, gear, stats, anything! I dont want to give up with tanking...

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Alonsus&n=Dur)

A while ago i was even thinking of starting raids but obviously i cant, with problems still in heroics. :(

Verize
06-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Gear seems fine except for a few things.

1. Don't socket 16 Str. If you want to match the Red socket bonuses use the 8 Exp/12 Stam or the 8 Dodge/12 Stam gems. As you are doing Heroics, I suggest the former.

2. Take points out of Imp Bloodrage and stick them into Armoured to the Teeth.

3. Replace the meta gem with an Austere Earthsiege Diamond if you are raiding. Otherwise the BV gem is decent for Heroics.

4. Get a faster weapon. Farm AD rep for the Axe or H UP for the Red Sword.

5. Farm SoH rep for the shoulder enchant or use the PvP one with 30 stam.

6. Also, remember to have the mobs stand in front of you!

Otherwise, you look more than alright to do Heroics. I started with 23K HP and ~2% less avoidance than you and didn't have any problems - might be the healer.

Also, you're more than fine to start and tank Naxx 10/OS 10.

Hope that helped.

Dur
06-15-2009, 01:14 AM
Thanks Verize for your suggestions, you said that i should swap the +16 str gems away. Should i do the same to my +27 str gems and switch them to something else too?

Also what rotation should i use with skills? And now i mean with mobs only because its those that i have trouble with, keeping the threat up.

Jewelcrafting is a nice profession so im gonna keep that, but should i get ridd of mining for something better?

Also, i cant help but to think my problems might come from the fact that i dont use addons or macros. I have always wanted to keep my gaming simple but i might have to change that as i feel like im lacking behind. What are the macros or addons that are most important for a tank?

Verize
06-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Oh right.

Replace the 27 Str gems with 41 Stam ones.

As far as trash tanking goes, if you mean AoE, what I usually do is Charge -> TC -> Shield Block -> Spam Cleave then Shockwave once Shield Block runs out. But I'm not really the expert in this area - might wanna ask someone else.

Regarding addons, I use Power Auras Classic to keep track of Sword & Board procs plus bind Heroic Strike to mousewheeldown. That's about it really. Haha.

Darkconious
06-15-2009, 10:35 AM
You and I are having similar problems and I have been getting very very frustrated.

I just changed my gems to add more expertise and right now I’m around 24. Expertise helps in that more of your hits land on the mob, causing more damage and as a result more concentration on you.

As far as rotation is concerned take a look at the following:
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/40491-wotlk-prot-warrior-guide.html

I know is a lot to read, but it can give you a really good idea. About a third of the way down you’ll find info on tanking rotation for AoE and Single Target Tanking. This post has helped me a lot.

Also, there is nothing more important for tanking then knowing the fight. Talk to someone, before going in that has done the fights a lot to get a real good idea as to what you’re getting in to. Even if you have done the fights in Normal mode and even 1-2 times in Heroic. There is a good possibility you could be overlooking something you need to do and that may be wiping the raid or the instance. I would even suggest going in with seasoned players in your guild. They always need tanks and are willing to help to get you there. If your guild is not willing to help you, find a new one. Good luck.

Teslin
06-15-2009, 10:58 AM
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f206/40785-warrior-pulling-guide.html

This might help out as well.

Blue
06-15-2009, 12:06 PM
I agree with most of posts, so far, except I'd take points from Focused Rage, and put them in Armored to the Teeth. Nothing crucial, but ATT is much more useful than small rage management. For AOE, you might consider trying to glyph Cleave. I'm not sophisticated enough to provide numbers, but I think the trash mobs will really hate you for it! Just a suggestion.

Also, be sure to remind your group, often, that you need a few seconds to establish threat, before anyone else opens up. This gets forgotten, but it's important, especially for warrior tanks. I usually tell everyone to watch for my Shockwave, which I use after dev and TC. Or, count to 5 from when I charge, or pull. Also, when about to pull, maybe get a HOT from healer, or other class, if available. Sounds like that's when you're maybe most vulnerable?

As for UP...and your healer...you have more than enough stats to be healed successfully in that instance. Therefore, either you or the healer is having difficulty with some aspect of the strategy. You should go over it with him, not to assess blame, but to find out why he's having trouble keeping you up. Is it that you are standing in the ice, lack of taunting the boss, when he whirlwinds, or just bad positioning on your part, or his? Or, is he throwing a heal before you establish aggro? Is he losing you on Line of Sight?

Khanor
06-15-2009, 02:12 PM
The str gems have been covered, the only thing i think is missing is, go for the sword from H UP - Red Sword of Courage. Also look into the mongoose enchant, its a fair boost to avoidance for a short period. Gearwise you should be fine, which means your problems most likely come down to strategy. Again, keeping mobs in front of you has been stated, the reason being you can reduce your incoming damage alot by doing this. Also, are you keeping up Commanding shout? Are you keeping up Demoralizing shout? and using Shielf Block? All of these tricks can help you mitigate damage more effectively, and thus make your healers happy :)

Carlthejim
06-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Another option available for a tank weapon is the tanking axe from the Argent Tournament, especially if your like me and only see the tank weapons drop on your shaman :P.... Its a pretty easy daily grind to get it and its Ilvl equivalent to the Red Sword of Courage and Slayer of the Lifeless. Good Luck