PDA

View Full Version : Unable to tank General Vezax

xoplague
06-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Hello there! Tonight was my first run of 10 man Ulduar, as the "main tank". Generally, the other bosses went very smoothly and we even managed to down Hodir in 3:30. However, when it came time to descend into madness General Vezax just stomped me. I was flabbergasted. At first I thought it was a healer issue, but as those were unavailable we decided to let the other [paladin] tank try. It went nearly flawless.

He has very nearly, if not less than, my health, avoidance, and gear.
(~40k health, 27% dodge, 18% parry, 18% block)
I kept up my debuffs, I positioned correctly, and I'm not sure if I couldve done any better. I seemed to just die with consecutive 16k+ hits.

Have I made any obvious gear mistakes?
I appreciate the help.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nesingwary&n=Teddy)
(Hopefully my armory will update...today)

Bulk
06-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Every so often he'll do an ability called Surge of Darkness (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=62662) which I'm pretty sure there is a raid emote for. You can burn your cooldowns to live through the first one, and if available your can have a priest use their cooldown (pain suppression or guardian spirit is it? Not sure) - however after those are gone you will need to kite the boss while he is under the effect of that buff (he slows down by 50% when its active). If you have a DK tank in the raid its often more effective to have them tank it, as they have more cooldowns to use and should never have to kite the boss.

shez
06-13-2009, 04:26 AM
I seemed to just die with consecutive 16k+ hits.

parry haste? whats your expertise at

you're in dps gear

Dhalphir
06-13-2009, 07:47 PM
parry haste? whats your expertise at

you're in dps gear

His parry haste timer is disabled.

General Vezax does hits for 16k, sometimes up to 20k, and during Surge of Darkness you'll need a cooldown to survive, or kite him, and you'll still be getting hit for that much through the cooldowns.

You can lay the blame for this one on your healers.

And to be honest,if you're at 40k buffed health, you can take two 16k hits without dying. He has a standard swing timer, so there's at least 4-5 seconds without heals in order for you to die, assuming you're topped off. If you're getting no heals in 4-5 seconds, your healers are FAILING.

Faladir
06-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Yup, Dk tank speaking here, it is an healing problem. Much healers are having problems adapting to no mana regen or mana intensive fights. I had no problem doing this fight with the more exp members in my guild, 2 shotted him the first time we went there 10m. But our other healers we took there the folloing week had problems. Also, if I may ask, what healer setup were you running?

Hamburglar
06-14-2009, 06:08 AM

General Vezax does hits for 16k, sometimes up to 20k, and during Surge of Darkness you'll need a cooldown to survive, or kite him, and you'll still be getting hit for that much through the cooldowns.

And to be honest,if you're at 40k buffed health, you can take two 16k hits without dying. He has a standard swing timer, so there's at least 4-5 seconds without heals in order for you to die, assuming you're topped off. If you're getting no heals in 4-5 seconds, your healers are FAILING.

Where did you read his parry haste timer is off the table? I wouldn't mind seeing confirmation on this because everything I've read says cap your expertise if you can on this guy.

Mookey
06-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Please confirm this... tanking him with 20 expertise (tried once lol) and with 35 is completely 2 different stories.

Evereghalo
06-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Yea, please confirm the parry haste, bc only ever boss I know of that parry haste was disabled was brutalis. And as it stands now current raid enviroment isnt anywhere near that challenging to fix that.

jfrosty
06-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Yea, please confirm the parry haste, bc only ever boss I know of that parry haste was disabled was brutalis. And as it stands now current raid enviroment isnt anywhere near that challenging to fix that.

Brutallus, Mother Sharaz in TBC don't parry-haste.

At least Patchwerk in WotLK doesn't either, dunno about the General.

It's not about challenging, it's about the boss mechanic; if he's a very hard hitter (or has an ability that causes him to hit very hard), they usually disable the parry-haste for that boss.

xoplague
06-14-2009, 10:36 PM

That's what I was thinking. It was 10 man, though. So I wasn't expecting to be constantly topped off. Not sure how the raid damage is on this fight. I was definitely not getting spammed. I think I had lifebloom/earth shield/renew keeping me up with the occasional FoL/etc.

xoplague
06-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Also, if I may ask, what healer setup were you running?

Resto druid, resto shaman, holy priest *

*Might have gone shadow. I dont recall.

Heladys
06-14-2009, 10:48 PM
3 healers?

Your raid must be taking a ton of avoidable damage. We do it with two.

If your healers are distracted healing other people, then that could be your answer. The tank should be taking 90%+ of the damage in the fight, with the healers taking some damage from saronite vapor pools (assuming you're not doing hardmode). The dps should take almost no damage at all, and the dps casters shouldn't need to touch vapors if they're using the black smudges correctly.

xoplague
06-14-2009, 11:06 PM
3 healers?

Your raid must be taking a ton of avoidable damage.

That's unlikely. We interrupted every nova and were very sparring with the clouds those attempts.

Vlad
06-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Hello there! Tonight was my first run of 10 man Ulduar, as the "main tank". Generally, the other bosses went very smoothly and we even managed to down Hodir in 3:30. However, when it came time to descend into madness General Vezax just stomped me. I was flabbergasted. At first I thought it was a healer issue, but as those were unavailable we decided to let the other [paladin] tank try. It went nearly flawless.

He has very nearly, if not less than, my health, avoidance, and gear.
(~40k health, 27% dodge, 18% parry, 18% block)
I kept up my debuffs, I positioned correctly, and I'm not sure if I couldve done any better. I seemed to just die with consecutive 16k+ hits.

Have I made any obvious gear mistakes?
I appreciate the help.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nesingwary&n=Teddy)
(Hopefully my armory will update...today)

Surge of Darkness aside not enough healing is your problem, you have enough health to survive two hits so mebbe put another healer onto it.
If you think thats fun wait until you do him 25man where he'll start beating you with 25k shots before SoD.. you won't survive 2 shots there unless you get rng lucky or have 50k+ health.