PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

Papi
06-12-2009, 11:40 PM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eonar&n=Papi)

Hello all,

I have been playing for a few months and thought i had done my homework and spent my time in instances to assure myself that i have built a tough prot pali but it seems that I am mistaken.

A few times I have been one shot or fast 2 shot on the first pull.

Specifically a few times on 25man patch and the first trash mob in uldar on the way to kologarn

suggestions and help are greatly appreciated

I'm just trying to be the best i can but when I die in the first 2 seconds of an encounter I just lay there dumbfounded.

I have included my armory link at the top of this post.

Please Halp!

Thanks in advance.

Papi

Dhalphir
06-12-2009, 11:50 PM
you're a bit undergeared to be tanking Ulduar, your healers are going to need to be very good and very fast to keep you up at the start of a pull, even Patchwerk would be sketchy. you just need to upgrade your gear.

I also see you've gemmed for strength, which is a big no no, as well as defense, which is unnecessary since you're (probably) at the defense minimum of 540 without it. I also see a green-quality blue gem in your gloves, replace that with a 24 stamina gem, they're ridiculously cheap. Get rid of all of your 8str/8def gems and replace them with 24 stamina, and make that 8parry/12stam into an 8dodge/12stam, or replace it with 24 stam.

Your gear probably still won't be good enough for Ulduar, but it will be a bit better for what you do have.

Zangestu
06-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Patch is a fickle sort, He's the kind of bastard without proper timing that can easily one-shot a tank.

Are all of your tanks running in at once? If not you have a problem.
And Dhalphir is correct, you are rather undergeared for these raids. Try to up your stamina

xenogriff
06-13-2009, 12:50 AM
i agree about the gemming

my preference is +def/+sta gems for blue / yellow and +dodge/+sta for red
if over the defense min, then use +sta gems for blue and +def/+sta gems for yellow

also, on ur boots - switch it to either the +sta enchant or the tuskarr's vitality - the loss of 12 hit rating for more hp is acceptable at least to me

finally, switch ur libram from consecration to obstruction - the extra block can mitigate more dmg. besides consecration dmg doesnt help that much in threat generation that it overrides the mitigation u get

about patch one shotting u, have all the OTs stand on top of u and pull with exorcism + AS and wait for him to run to u, safest way to make sure everyone is in position so u dont eat the hateful strikes at the same time - u might also want to consider popping divine protection on the pull - this should give ur healers time to top u up and maintain u and at the same time have the 30 cd fall off for when heroism is activated. other benefit to this is that u will have it free to use again midway through the fight

Akeber
06-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Your spec is okay, you don't really need the extra point in improved judgements, 1/2 is fine there.

Your gear isn't really a good "boss tanking" set. Too much block value gear. Don't get me wrong, a high BV set is great for trash, heroics, tanking adds, and the occasional gimmick fight (Loatheb), but other than that it's not much good.

For "boss tanking" you want to swich out to gear that favors avoidance and stamina. Lose the +def+BV meta and switch to the 32 stam and 2% armor meta. Change the titanium shield plating to the defense enchant if you end up short after changing metas. Better yet, use a different shield, preferably the badge one with some hit.

Keep those BV items around, block sets are great for many things, but tanking the big boss with big hits isn't one of them. Until you outgear the encounters, then you can throw it back on as your DPS/TPS will be much better in a set with a high amount of BV.

Akeber
06-13-2009, 11:40 AM
I just noticed your Libram. Drop that consecrate libram FAST! Put it in your bank if you like, but that piece of garbage should never be equipped (except for a 213 item when you're shooting for the Epic achievement, or bumping up your Ilvl for flame leviathan). Consecrate benefits very little from spell power because it scales so poorly. The ONLY libram for tanking is the Libram of Obstruction from badges. You won't replace that until you can get the one from General Vezax in 25 man ulduar.

Papi
06-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks for all of the help I started doing the chnges selected and I have already seen improvement in my survivability. You guys (and or girls) have been a great help.

I will be working on more of the changes mentioned as well as getting my bumm back into naxx 25. I go where the guild needs me though.

Great help here I hope to return the favor one day.

Papi - Eonar