PDA

View Full Version : Frost DK Tank spec. Suggestions or anything.

Stallinj
06-12-2009, 05:08 AM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Muradin&n=Menergy&group=1)

Ive been tanking for a good while with my DK. I stumbled upon this spec back in Jan., and it has help me till now. I am guildless and looking to push to a top guild on my server. My only concern is the GM's looking at my spec and in the nicest way possible finding mein game and /lol at me. My currect spec was based solely on my raid job in my past guild. The "OH teh NOES everyones dead OH WAIT Menergy pick up EVERYTHING". I dont want to skyrocket to a MT position immediately i want to beable to raid with confidence. This spec has not failed me yet, but suggestions to make it better would be nice. Depending on what happens I will be dropping some Unholy points to pick up a few Frost points (Killing Machine and Acclimation for better TPS). So flame/rant/suggest anything I just want to know where my spec stands.

Stallinj
06-12-2009, 05:11 AM
Bump

megalewis
06-12-2009, 08:11 AM
My favorite frost tank spec is the following :

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight=0055020000000000000000000000305050003 5203310030025101351005200000000000000000000000000&glyph=201318010605&version=9947

I left you 1 point to put in wherever u want, hesitating between : lichborne, virulence or dark conviction. But I usually put it in virulence for more hit% on spells.

Make sure to macro Deathchill + Howling blast for those snap aggro AoE emergency.

Looks like you should do some more research on your side though... you didnt even use death runes?

What is your rotation? I like : IT-PS-OB-BS-BS, (Runic dump), OB,OB,OB and when lucky and proc a HB you let it out. Frost tank rotation is only a baseline, you must adapt to KM to maximise your threat/crits.

use SpellAlert to be aware of when you can proc free HB, or when your KM procs, so you can try to time your FS to KM insta crits.

keeprock
06-12-2009, 08:19 AM
First off, I'm not in a top 10 guild on my server or anything. But I'm sure if I was and I looked at your spec, especially if I never played a DK, I'd look at your spec and see that it wasn't a cookie cutter for other top dk's and /lol too. It probably doesn't matter if your great at what you do, you need to look like everyone else. But I digress...

Having said that, I'll point out some immediately noticeable issues with your spec.
No Frost tanks usually bother with Improved Icy Talons. This provides a buff an enhancement shaman can take care off. And it's not really your role to buff the raid. Your already the tank. No one's going to kick you for not having that buff.
Icy Talons 20% haste is also not much of a buff and could be better spent elsewhere to increase your dps and threat.
You don't get charmed/sleeped enough to use the point in Lichborne.
Merciless Combat is another "meh, who needs it" talent.
I have not seen any tank builds with Vicious strikes.
Deathchill means one guaranteed crit every 2 minutes. Without the talent you probably get 1 crit every 3 -5 swings/spells anyway.
So instead of those wasted talents you definitely should be using:
Killing Machine. This can proc an extra crit every 15 seconds or so if I remember correctly. You can use 4/5 points in it because the difference between 4 to 5 is 3 seconds shorter cooldown or something small.
Blood of the North 5/5. Every rotation loves Death Runes so the good spells are always available.
Bladed Armor 5/5 in the blood tree adds a nice bonus to your attack power so therefore dps so therefore threat.
For your glyphs IBF is still useful but definitely swap out the armor glyph for Rune Strike. You can decide if you want to swap out dark command for the free diseases from Howling Blast. I think you should. :p

Stallinj
06-12-2009, 02:17 PM
TY VM i wasgoing to make changes actually alot of them. This helps.