PDA

View Full Version : What to gem in my current gear

Xandarthe
06-11-2009, 03:22 PM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Icecrown&n=Xandarthe)

My current armory. My guild leader is telling me I need to gem for avoidance + stam. I feel that it would suffer to much DR to be effectively worth it. With my current gear what are your guys thoughts?

Fayre
06-11-2009, 04:45 PM
You only have two gems that aren't avoidance or stamina. I'm pretty sure that it'll make very little difference, given that.

But to answer the question - I'm not sure I'd personally gem for +16 exp. I probably would go for pure stamina or a 8exp-12 stam for red sockets (if the bonus is worth it). It depends a lot on what you're raiding - you'll find 'threat' gearing is more important in Naxxramas, and 'survival' more important in Ulduar.

If he's advising you this, is there an underlying reason? Are you keeping debuffs etc up so that you're not 'squishy' as a tank?

Just some thoughts.

Xandarthe
06-11-2009, 05:52 PM
We were initially talking about unbuffed hp. I said I just hit 30k and he asked if I was using 24 stam gems. I said yes, then basically I was doing it wrong that I should be gemming all avoidance + stam hybrid gems. As far as the +16 expertise goes I was honestly just gemming towards the soft cap as I thought it was important for my TPS. We are farming 25 naxx atm trying to get ready for uld 25. We do flame lev weekly for the loot and have triend other bosses I myself have only tried XT-002. The DPS was basically blowing each other up and they tried to use I think two healers on me. He was hitting me for 22k approx and I only have 39k raid buffed. So I'm pretty sure I am still a bit undergeared. If you think I should change any gems let me know.

Spazlord
06-11-2009, 08:25 PM
My general rule is stay alive first, and worry about aggro second. If I want a socket bonus I gem with dodge/stam or def/stam, unless that particular piece is very threat oriented and I have another piece to use for survival purposes, example, my T7 gloves were gemmed for exp/stam and I had the Callous Hearted Gauntlets if I was feeling squishy (which wasn't often, if at all, in T7 content)

Now in Ulduar, all my gear is gemmed for survival, and I'm still feeling pretty squishy.

Lyco
06-12-2009, 12:47 AM
I strongly feel that each tank should have hitcap and atleast the expertise softcap. If your DPS is worth a damn you'll need it ( especially on fights like Hodir ).

Go for Guardian Twilight Opals ( 8 exp / 12 hp )

Also, get Blooddraining on your weapon ( it will help as it gives you around 3000 HP when you drop to low. )