PDA

View Full Version : Is my build okay?

taxidude221
06-10-2009, 09:20 PM
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LVMhzZG0hZihtrg0dbdIzsGo (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#Lhrcdfht0bRRbhzbZ0xxZbIp0x)

So I have no idea how to tank or what to put in my talent build. So I need major help. Also, what gear should I be wearing.

P.S. If it matters I'm a Tauren Warrior

Bulk
06-11-2009, 12:28 AM
The tanking tree is the "protection" tree, but you have placed most of your talents in the Arms tree - big mistake.

Check out this guide for lots of information including what talents you'll want to get: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/40491-wotlk-prot-warrior-guide.html

Bulk
06-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Edit: doh, double post.

taxidude221
06-11-2009, 08:28 AM
So I guess I'll go with the build in that guide (I did change that build I posted to have more Protection, but I guess I didn't post the other link).

What armor should I use?

Blue
06-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Generally, you're armor/enchants/glyphs/weapons/gems should reflect anything that has Defense, Stamina, Strength, Hit, Expertise, Block...in pretty much that order of priority. Oh, and don't forget to get a shield! You'll need it!!

Mostly, though, you'll need to read through a lot of info, on this site. The link that Bulk provided has a lot more info in it than the talent tree specs. Read it a few more times, and also read most anything posted by Ciderhelm, on this site. Watch his videos, too...you've much to learn, grasshopper!!

Some other guides for Prot Warrs can be found at sites like Elitist Jerks, Ten Ton Hammer, and even Blizzard's site (imagine that! hah!)

Also, if you want more specific help, try posting your Armory stats link, from the WoW Armory. It's difficult to help, when we can't see where you're currently at, so to speak...

;>)

Martie
06-11-2009, 11:43 AM
The advice here is all good, and you should definatly read up on it.

I like fidgeting with my talent builds, though, and I'll give you my thought on tanking builds.

First goal of the build: Don't die.
This is accomplished by taking less damage and having more health.
So, every talent that gives straight damage mitigation or avoidance is a must.
So if a talent gives parry, you want it. If it gives dodge, you want it. If it gives armor, you want it. If it slows your enemies, you want it.
Likewise, every talent that increases your health you want.

Now, with the first step of tanking taken care of, it's time for the second step, keeping threat.
Figure out what the key threat moves are, and seek to improve them.
(Think of things like Sword and Board, Puncture, One handed weapon specialization and Focused Rage.)

Then there's the rest of tanking - utility and mobility.
You want to be able to move fast, sometimes even during combat, and have as many options as possible to use when things go sour.
So stuns, panic buttons, charges or flat movement speed reductions are a good thing.

Once you are done with all those talents, you should have a few points left to play around with. For those points, there generally is an optimal threat solution, though there is some wiggle room depending on what level of the game you are playing.
(Hard core raiders generally go for the best threat solution, though if you are not going into Ulduar, you can go for some of the more 'fun' stuff, or for general utility.)

Follow those rules, and you should end up at a pretty decent spec.

Gearing follows the same general rules, with one exception. You want to be uncrittable by whatever you are fighting. So before you head into heroics, make sure you have 535 def rating. Before raids, make sure you have 540.