PDA

View Full Version : Why is my DPS low?

adamb10
06-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Armory Link - The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning%27s+Blade&n=Strongblood)

A World of logs parse for Kologarn 25 that I was DPSing - World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/QtqOye0McEtmDusa/sum/damageDone/?s=2383&e=2615)

I think I can be doing better DPS in general. With my current gear I should be able to pull 4500-5K but as of now I keep hanging around 3500-3800. I dont know if it's my rotation, my gear or what.

Here is my rotation as arms:

Rend
MS
Overpower
Execute/MS/Slam, I will use the execute proc over MS(even if it's off cd). If execute didnt proc or MS is on cd then I slam
Overpower
Execute/MS/Slam I will use the execute proc over MS(even if it's off cd). If execute didnt proc or MS is on cd then I slam.
When rend falls off I bladestorm
Rend
repeat rotation above
> Boss @ 20%, full time execute spam

As for gear I'm hit capped, have around 40% crit buffed in a raid. I know I can use a new trinket and get the gloves enchanted/socketted(which will happen today). 32 expertise, 141 haste.

So how can I improve my DPS and actually compete with the other dps'ers in my guild?

Thanks. :)

shez
06-10-2009, 10:51 AM
whats your armor penetration at? it looks a bit low from gear for me though it says 0 on armory. our arms warrior did 6700 dps at kologarn, and i know he's stacking arp, pretty sure he has over 50%

do you use heroic strike? i'd add heroic strike in it as a rage dump

Tonylicious
06-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Kologarn should be giving you very inflated DPS numbers given that Bladestorm will be hitting both arms and the body. Its possible that you were standing for a portion of the fight in a 'bad' position, there are several places you cannot hit the arm from. The best place to stand is typically right in on the tank on the body, you should be able to DPS either arm or the body from there without moving (also without being target by eye beams).

Firstly the easy fix. You should be 3/3 for Imp MS and as you're already 6 expertise value over the dodge cap the 2 points in Weapon Mastery are wasted and can be easily switched over.

Secondly your rotation is close, but seems a little off. And I'm sure you know its less of a rotation than a priority. This is the one I use which may or may not be the most optimal. It does however yield me 5-6k DPS on nongimic fights.

OP (<5 seconds remaining on TfB, will overwrite at 3 seconds)
Rend
Sudden Death Execute (>30 rage)
MS
Sudden Death Execute (<30 rage)
OP (>5 seconds remaining on TfB)
Slam

Bladestorm use varies widely. Save for AoE if the encounter will have any, if not use it when Rend has >6 seconds remaining and you have no SD/OP procs and you've just MS'd.

Lastly, though you didnt really ask, gearing.
Your second DPS trinket is pretty much as bad as it can get. Almost any blue physical (maybe even a caster trink if its passive is crit! :eek:) DPS trink in a 80 normal/heroic 5 man will be an upgrade. First one that comes to mind is from the raptor boss in Heroic DTK. I assume you're using Ruthlessness for a similar reason as I was until recently, you have no other decent options. Just want to make sure since you may have been unclear on the expertise 'cap' for physical DPS (26 w/o Weapon Mastery).

Also as was mentioned above, ArP is generally your best scaling stat up until the soft cap (if you're using a Grim Toll/Runestone its passive ArP + 10% + proc% = 100%). The gem in your shoulders should be Str/Crit and boots should be Str/Stam (if you're intent on socket bonuses). Noticed you were a JC, if you decide to pop prismatic gems in I'd put one in your chest/legs/boots to get maximum benefit from socket bonuses.

Sorry for the essay, work is dull. Hope it helps.

adamb10
06-10-2009, 11:40 AM
My armor pen is 25.01%.

My guild has had very bad luck on trinkets. I dont have the gold to shell out for Darkmoon card Greatness so I'm stuck with random drops. :p

I mostly chose Kologarn because there is no buff that inflates my dps like there is for Hodir and XT somewhat. I have parses for Freya, mimiron and others too.

adamb10
06-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Well I adjusted my spec to get out of weapon mastery and put those 2 points into imp. MS.

Muffin Man
06-11-2009, 11:21 AM
My guild has had very bad luck on trinkets. I dont have the gold to shell out for Darkmoon card Greatness so I'm stuck with random drops. :p

Actually you're an alchemist... so you should be using this Mighty Alchemist's Stone - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44324) until something drops.

Also, if I'm reading this wowmeter right, the fight went 2.5 minutes. And you had 44 rend ticks for 57.9% uptime. Even when you're switching from arm to body and back you shouldn't be going so long without reapplying it.

Your damage break downs also seem skewed, probably from having so many execute phases from dps-ing the right arm down. So Kologorn might not be the best fight to break down. Although clicking though a few of your other boss fights, your rend uptime is consistently low as is your damage contribution from MS/OP.

Kologorn specific, you can inflate your dps (in a good way) by using sweeping strikes when you're on the right arm, the extra hits *should* be hitting the body. Also keep up rend on both the right arm and body. (Just set the body as your focus target so you can watch for rend falling off). Rend is more dmg/rage than a slam and gives you a semblance of aoe to keep up meters wise =p.

adamb10
06-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I have this really bad habit of reapplying rend even when it's still on the target, thus losing a GCD and OP proc. I was guility of it alot in that raid. :p As for MS/OP I imagine it has to do with my priority of things. I almost always try and use OP when it procs before MS(when it's off cd) and execute. I do give priority to execute over MS when OP isnt proced. And slam, I hate the ability(because of it's cast timer) and thus is always last in terms of priority.

nomopofomo
06-12-2009, 08:37 AM
download elkano's buff bars to track your rend and tfb/sd procs

shez
06-13-2009, 02:02 AM
I just tried arms today did 6.9k dps at thaddius...this is my damage break down

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis (http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/mf87h3iwgeeluawZ/details/28/?s=1317&e=1725)

I'm not very experienced in warrior dps this is the third time i dps since wotlk, but my "rotation" or priority was

rend up all the time,

1. OP
2. execute
3. MS
4. rend

i used to bladestorm everytime its up,but i tried this today

Bladestorm use varies widely. Save for AoE if the encounter will have any, if not use it when Rend has >6 seconds remaining and you have no SD/OP procs and you've just MS'd.when heroism is up i tend to just spam slam and overpower if its up

gear is 3472ap, 32% crit, 41%arp unbuffed, and way over hit capped which can't be helped (limited choice of gear, only getting left over dps gear atm)

hardest thing is rend, i either reapply too early or totally forgot about it :( and refering to my post earlier, about heroic strike, i ddin't use it at all was sometimes rage starved