PDA

View Full Version : Def Rating

bagatur
06-09-2009, 06:25 PM
my warrior has 546 def rating but isnt in full on epic got my first piece of T7 and was looking at the rest of the set and with the chest and legs i will lose 67 points in def rating how do i make it up without wasting gem slots and enchants on stuff i dont need

solocommand
06-09-2009, 06:39 PM
You shouldn't ignore gem and enchants for defense rating. You most likely are not going to be able to reach 540 defense from gear alone at or below T7 (if ever).

If you need to reach the minimum defense rating to be crit-immune and cannot do it from gear alone, you most certainly need defense in those gem and enchant slots.

I've got gear from Ulduar 10/25 and still need to add gems and enchants at some times to stay defense capped. The highest rated defense gear might be good for reaching the cap, but you will lose out on other stats as well, such as block and parry.

TiKrazeeeNeg
06-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Honestly, that's the way things go with the higher level gear. You're going to lose Def rating for higher stats in other areas, and you will need to gem and enchant for Def in some cases.

how do i make it up without wasting gem slots and enchants on stuff i dont need

Well...def is something you need...so it's not really wasted. It's just the way it works.

I refer to this post (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/46235-best-slot-warrior-tanking-gear-glance.html) quite often to figure out/remember which items I'd like to get, and which gems enchants to get to make sure I'm meeting specs I need. Hope this helps.

sicness
06-09-2009, 07:23 PM
The biggest help to defense rating when gearing in Naxx is Seal of the Pantheon from regular Halls of Lightning. Otherwise you have to gem/enchant for it 'til you get the gear that has the defense you need.

Salloman
06-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Has anyone else noticed how tanks seems to be the only role really obsessed over gear. I am long time tank gone dps... i know, i know:P

I can honestly say, while all classes/players obsess over gear, tanks do it with finality. Just in my general search for a gear guide for a mage, its small and limited to BIS and they are full of opinions, so interpretation is excepted.

BUT, Tanks its orderly and professional. We have great, top ten (or so) in slot guides. Pre-naxx gear guides and easy-to-get gear guides. BIS for different encounters for all tanking classes. We have easily 10X the chatter over pieces of gear than most other classes in my opinion. Or that could just be the culture of Tankspot:P

And the underlying reason I can think of is Defence rating. And our "required" minimum. To be uncritable, however we can get it done and still get x, y and z benefit.

Will you have to re gem or re enchant because of one piece... YEAH, most likely. Will it throw things outa wack for a while? Yeah. Will you be back to square one sweating the def cap again and again, thinking of wonderful and creative ways to get it to where it should be? Yeah.

Is it a bit of a balancing act? Yeah. Thats tanking! Accept it, love it, learn it. Be the tank!

Molohk
06-12-2009, 12:29 PM
my warrior has 546 def rating...

I just realized OP (and some replies) keeps talking about "defense rating". I don't know if there is a confusion of terms, but just to clarify:

You need a minimum of 540 defense skill to become uncrittable against raid bosses, which means you need to get 689 def rating from your gear.