PDA

View Full Version : Multiple add tanking, Am I too squishy?

Ominousone
06-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Greetings all. Been reading for awhile but new to the forum. I recently dual spec my DK with a Frost tanking spec, and have managed to acquire a decent set of gear. My problem is when tanking multiple adds I think I'm taking more damage than I should. Boss fights arent bad as Im popping Cool downs, but I usually reserve them for boss fights. I guess my question is, is it normal to have to pop CD's when tanking trash? Im talking olny heroic dungeons here and maybe 4 mobs at most. Your help is appreciated.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Arathor&n=Ominousone)

GalaMoridin
06-09-2009, 09:49 AM
You want to be careful about positioning. If you are getting hit from behind avoidance is useless and DKs are avoidance tanks. You want to keep the pack in front of you and backs towards your group if possible.

Could be that the healer isn't responsive enough unless he said you were squishy himself. It's easy to get worried and pop a CD just before I heal was going to land that wouldve kept you up anyways.

Positioning makes a big difference though. Especially since you want to get a good HB off.

Molohk
06-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Your cooldowns are short enough to be able to use them smartly during trash, in fact you should be using your CDs when you expect large bursts even for trash, unless a boss pull is 1 or 2 minutes away. CDs are part of your mitigation tools, there's really no reason to avoid using them unless you run the risk of not having that CD available when needed the most.

I use IBF and VB all the time when I pull large packs, it makes it easier on the healers and therefore allows my raid to move faster through trash.

PS: You're wearing dps gear in your armory, so I can't really advice you there.

Molohk
06-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Gala is right, some packs are very tricky for positioning and I have to constantly move to adjust. Avoiding taking damage from behind is key.

Ominousone
06-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the input. I think that may be my problem. I always make sure the pack is between and my group, but I think I may not be making sure there all in front of me. In terms of avoidance, is that something I should gem for over stam, or just wait for better gear to come along. Thanks again for the input!!

My armory should be correct now.

GalaMoridin
06-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Once you are at 540 defense, I would gem for stamina till about 28k HP unbuffed. That should be fine for Naxx. Once you can get there with gear/enchants only, always gem for dodge over parry. Dodge has better returns then parry and is a more versatile stat. You may want to start to tank sets as you collect gear. One for max health and one for max avoidance, some of the pieces may overlap.