PDA

View Full Version : WoW on Vista 64 bit?

dagimp007
06-09-2009, 06:55 AM
ok first off i know everyone hates vista, but i had no other option when i ordered my compputer.... so my question is ..... Is anyone else runing Vista-64bit with wow, i have had it crash on me twice, is that a vista thing or a bad file thing

Stephanius
06-09-2009, 07:41 AM
I run Vista Ultimate 64bit on my game rig and have no problems at all running WoW.

In fact, I have no problem running five WoW sessions at the same time when I multi-box, which is where having more than the measly 3.xGB of RAM that the 32bit OS gives you comes in really handy.

Helgi
06-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Well I can't say for sure for Vista, but I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and can easily have 2 instances of WoW open on the same computer (although I tell the second instance to run off of the two cores that I first instance isn't using).

Having said that I have a friend that runs 64-bit Vista and he hasn't had any problems with it at all.

Keep in mind that both of these machines are self-built machines with vanilla copies of Windows. Dell/HP/Gateway/whoever usually installs extra "special" software that almost always slows down the system and sometimes makes it unstable.

Karatheya
06-09-2009, 09:03 AM
I've run under Vista 64, and now under Win 7 64.

There is a strange crash I have found however. I used to experience random crashes to the desktop when loading my UI (either when switching characters or after a /console reloadui).

Through a painful process of elimination, the mod causing this turned out to be Chatter, the IM-like chat frame manager. I know it stores a lot of info in it's saved variables file (history of old chats), but for some reason it was frequently causing these crashes. I removed it and haven't had a single crash to the desktop since.

So, if you're using Chatter try removing it. If not, your best hope may be to disable one addon at a time, though this only works if the crashes are frequent enough to eliminate one addon as a potential cause of problems.

Otherwise, my experience on 64 bit Windows has been pretty solid.

dagimp007
06-09-2009, 09:24 AM
i just got it and had 2 weird crashes... from the sound of it .. it was a weird randmon thing... and i shouldn't worry to much about it...thanks for the replaies

Cedix
06-11-2009, 02:32 AM
I have been running Vista 64 for over a year now, and never had any trouble with the game. Or any trouble with anything else for that matter...

Dunmail
06-11-2009, 03:23 AM
Runs fine on mine too.
As above WoW reguarly clashes when alt-tabbing from game to desktop, especially when shortly just after loading the game.
GPU is a Nvidia 285, be interesting to see if its wow, Vista or GPU related, I suspect the former two tbh.

Bloodwraith
06-11-2009, 07:08 AM
I run WoW on vista 64 and I've never had a problem with it. I personally don't have any problems with vista.

Heladys
06-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Runs perfectly on Vista64 Ultimate here. Both on my desktop and my laptop.

If you're having constant crashes, think about testing your memory. Memory failures (or memory controllers... worse yet) can cause some really sneaky WoW crashing long before you see impact doing normal operating system stuff or even in other games.

Dunmail
06-11-2009, 09:05 AM
^^ I'd look at mods if you're having sporadic crashes. Not uncommon for a mod to have dodgy code, a memory leak or clash with something else. The one I mentioned seems fairly specific to alt tabbing. Additionally having a look in your case and seeing if anything else is running hot, or a fan is a bit grubby can be a obvious solution.