PDA

View Full Version : Determined to start a guild,but having issues

geniuspear
06-09-2009, 04:27 AM
Hi,im a lvl 65 horde warrior currently and leveling him as prot so that i can start mt-ing when i hit 80.I had 2 lvl 80 mains and had done up to 25 naxx so raiding wasn't exactly new to me for the dps aspect.
However i had some issues would like to address as i know some of you here could be the leader of successful guilds and could prolly guide me out :)
Im planning to lead the guild with a couple of RL friends who had zero wotlk raid exp.They are just starting to leveling their chars ( paladin and rogue all dps ) and i doubt they could dish out decent dps at 80.
We were leveling at a pretty fast pace and hope to start full time raiding in 2 weeks.
However main issue would be,since i will be the tank,both my friend wanted to be dps,so i would need to recruit healers,OT and more dps before we can start right?
Would it be better to pug for decent gear before we start recruiting or can we just start from scratch.
Is 10 man naxx doable with entry level gear like basic heroic stuff and some profession gear?They would be reading up elitistjerks alot for rotation and stuff so i believe they can prolly deal normal dps ( maybe 1.2-1.8k ).Is that even enough?
Since im relatively new to the guild thing and all my previous guild practice rolling,is it advisable to just do normal roll,or can i try DKP systems etc.
Lastly,should i be MT4life or can i spec arms/fury to dps sometimes lol

Fayre
06-09-2009, 05:19 AM
Crikey that's a lot of questions.

My suggestion would be to go PUG Naxx10 when you're ready for it. Heroic gear is fine for that - and you can help your friends learn a few tricks on the way. In the PUGs you can look out for new guildies and build it up that way - its far better to find guild members who you know and trust rather than inviting people who whisper you from trade, anyway.

Good luck.

Heirbiscuit
06-09-2009, 05:36 AM
I agree with Kayella on the invite from PuGs vs trade chat issue. It works out better after you've seen each other in action. You'll find tons of unguilded decent players while tanking your way to lvl80.

I co-run a small guild started for 7 RL friends. We just abandoned our attempts to go for 25s, because it was not worth it for us. My advice would be to decide if you are really determined to run a guild. You might find a home with another small guild of like minded people. Having 2 lvl 80 raiding toons before, I'd hope you have friends to turn to, unless you server jumped. They should be able to help you fill you ranks, or find a new home. Either way, Good Luck.

-Heir

dirt
06-09-2009, 05:43 AM
I suggest Pugging also. You need to get you and your friends feet wet so to speak. But for people w/ zero raiding exp, its a big learning curve even from Heroics. Pugs are hit and miss as I'm sure you know, but best case scenario is you pick up some more peeps for your guild or find regulars to run with again.

On the guild side, that's going to be tougher. A lot of work involved, my only advice there is don't set the bar to high or you may be disappointed.

Good luck to you.

smashidin213132
06-09-2009, 08:07 AM
I had made this previous post on the forums

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f94/49918-guild-help.html

Even on my server not just guild problems but as a GM I'm in aussie on US server a lot of the majority of aussie people are in already made guilds and to find them is hard enough it's like a drought right now.

With that posted link there it had a lot of views no posts tho sad =( would like some opinions on it.

Kalbitang
06-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah, you'll have to pug for a while, if you want to be a raiding guild. Unfortunately, most people want to join an established group that plays well, rather than help build something up from the ground up. Can't blame them, either.

I would try to keep things simple at first, too. There's no sense in doing DKP if you can't even down a single boss. Level up, start doing heroics, and then try to get into a 10man Naxx.

As for doing DPS, it really depends on how much you can build up the guild. Will you have other capable tanks in the guild? Then they won't need you to always be tanking. But if no one else is available, you will be tanking.

Chro
06-10-2009, 11:46 AM
As someone who was an officer in a hardcore raiding guild back in the day, and now an officer in a semi-casual guild now (to give you my perspective), I'd ask why you want the hassle of having your own guild?

To me, it sounds like you and your friends would be much better off looking for a guild that can support you, helping you all to level up and then gear up, rather than trying to find another seven or 22 people who want to start with a brand new guild.

Just my 2cp.

shez
06-10-2009, 09:56 PM
I've been an officer of a 25man raiding guild for 2 years as well as a founder of my current guild, leading a guild is not easy. If you and your friend has 0 raid experience i'd suggest you start with raiding with an established guild and gain some raid experience (and some gear). If you really insist of having your own guild, you'll need to have an experienced core to start with.

Recruiting will be hard if you start with naxx which will mostly be alts or very casual player.

Should you MT forever? It depends whether you like it i guess, i find it quite stressful sometimes, you need to attend every raid and cannot make any mistake cos any mistake made by the MT can wipe the raid and is very easy to spot. Although wotlk is easy mode now its not as stressful as bc.

geniuspear
06-11-2009, 08:44 PM
i tink some of u misread my post.i had raid experience up to 25man content b4 uldar.and we dun nid any help lvling and gearing b4 any raid since i been doing tat like the 3rd time.
the reason y i wanted our own guild is its always a goal ( or a dream ) to be able to manage a guild as i always enjoy doing that since the d2 days.
i was jus wondering hw did most guild started to get stronger or the main issue would be marcoenvironment like population of ppl with gear/progression of realm etc.

shez
06-11-2009, 09:50 PM
i guess start with 10 man raids expand to 2 groups, then start 25man, i'm not sure about your server but its very hard on my server to recruit good players, esp my guild isn't top 3 on the server.

like i said, its hard to recruit people to start with naxx, and as fresh 80 you gear would not be good enough for ulduar.

so depends on your goal (10/25man? is progression important?), it might take quite a while to build up a core raiding group.

We were lucky to have about 15 core members when we start our current raiding guild.

If managing a guild is your dream you should go for it, but be prepared to spend a lot of time on it, recruitment, drama, etc

Gear won't be an issue for you, most people would have naxx10/25 gear and even ulduar gear, even for fresh 80, people would be full epic in 1-2 weeks.

atm, our main issue would be low on attendance sometimes, we do have about 15-20 people at 100% attendance but on a bad night, or progression night its just impossible to swap out fail people.

We were at 1 stage ranked 7 in udluar progression when we killed general, but we haven't been able to get a good group to kill yogg.

Good luck with your new guild :)

p.s. you might want to start recruiting now

GravityDK
06-12-2009, 04:43 AM
I don't think starting a guild should be considered lightly. It's much easier to join an existing one. Leave the admin and drama to someone else :)

If you are determined, as you say, to do it anyhow, then the above advice is all sound.

ps. running a guild isn't "fun" in its own right. It's a means to an end. There are other ways to achieve that same end, though.

Lyco
06-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Running a guild is like a fulltime job. Be ready for alot of headaches, drama, and difficult choises.
It can be fun when you survive the initial part and create a stable playerbase. But it might take alot of hard work to get to that point!