PDA

View Full Version : Blood - OT/DPS

Deprivation
06-08-2009, 12:39 PM
I've spent the better part of a day trying to research an "OT" blood spec

A spec that would let me tank but still put out solid dps numbers when not tanking.

All I can say is that, Blood tanking could not be more confusing in terms of points allocation. I"m not even remotely close to what any of you are posting about.

I think i'm more confused now about blood tank than i was before reading stickies, forum posts and tankspot.com.

Frost, in my opinion, is clear cut straight up easy to understand...this blood stuff has me baffled. Here is what I came up with, but now I have no clue:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#jciMqI0IcdobssthxZ0xh)

My thinking is this:

Frost:

5/5 Toughness - increase armor for tanking, lends itself to Bladed armor
3/3 Imp Icy Touch - more dmg (for more threat) but reduces melee/ranged attack speed

Both seem solid choices for an OT, and lend themselves to DPS

Unholy:

5/5 Anticipation - not a dps talent at all, just 5% dodge for OT work
3/3 Morbidity - Increases dmg deathcoil (good threat and dps when not tanking) reduces DnD

Again, both seem solid choices for an OT and lend themselves to DPS

Blood - Here's my thoughts:

3/3 - Subversion - Good DPS and useful for Threat tanking, and good reducing threat when not
2/5 - Blade Barrier - fills the other 2 points, and lends itself to 2% reduced dmg when tanking

5/5 - Bladed Armor - one of our skills that conitnues to scale with our gear synergy with Toughness
2/2 - 2H'd - Good For Dps / Good for threat

5/5 - Dark Conviction - seems straight forward
3/3 - Death Rune Mastery - Getting access to death runes can only help both TPS (when tanking) and DPS

3/3 - Veteran of the Third War - More Str, More Sta, More expertise
2/3 - Bloody Stirkes Good for DPS/TPS

3/3 - Blood Vengeance - pretty straight forward imo
2/2 - Abomination's Might - I run 10 man and 5 mans, this seems a good use of 2 points, increase Str

This is where I get stuck a bit, I "like" bloodworms (read, i like it...i don't love it, i don't have to have it or I lose my mind, but i like it), I like Rune tap, I like the idea of Hysteria for 10-man. I'm indifferent about imp Blood Presence, I want my 3rd point in Bloody Stikes. I like Mark of blood.

3/3 - Bloody Stirkes- Just putting that 1 point in Bloody Stirkes I left out earlier
1/1 - Hysteria - I like the idea of buffing a raid member in 10 man
1/1 - Rune Tap - I do like to PVP here and there, and sometimes a "back tank" in 4 horseman
2/3 - Improved Rune Tap

2/2 - Improved Death Strike - Just seems no brainer
1/1 - Vampric Blood - "Oh $h!t" button
3/3 - Improved Rune tap - Just finishing the 3rd point
1/1 - Mark of Blood

1/1 - Heart Strike
3/3 - Might of Mograine - looks good to me for both DPS and Tanking (tps)
1/3 - Will of Necropolis - Strictly an OT decision

5/5 - Blood Gorged - Again, seems like a solid choice for both ways

This leaves me here: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#jciMqI0IsbobksxhxZ0xh)

5 points left over

1/1 - Dancing Rune Weapon - Personal choice, I like it
3/3 - Will of Necropolis - Finishing off from above, it just looks like a solid choice for tanking duties

This leaves 2 points

Sudden Doom - Seems to have good synergy with Morbidity
Blood worms - not mandatory but seems to have some nice benefits solo, pvp, and OT
epidemic - longer diseases

what about

1/3 bloodworms
1/3 Sudden doom

Not that I like hanging talents, but they don't seem crucial but do seem to offer benefits.

I know this is long, but I need to see where my thinking is flawed on this.

Vanthus
06-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I think your spec is pretty good for an OT.

The changes I would make would be to move points out of WotN and into Sudden Doom. WotN probably won't come into play much in off tanking. Sudden Doom also maximizes the bonus from Morbidity.

One point in Bloodworms isn't likely to do much for you either in healing or DPS unless it is a lot better than it used to be.

Your spec is not very different from mine other than just a bit of shuffling on a few points, which is more personal preference, and not a major difference either way.

Deprivation
06-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I think your spec is pretty good for an OT.

The changes I would make would be to move points out of WotN and into Sudden Doom. WotN probably won't come into play much in off tanking. Sudden Doom also maximizes the bonus from Morbidity.

One point in Bloodworms isn't likely to do much for you either in healing or DPS unless it is a lot better than it used to be.

Your spec is not very different from mine other than just a bit of shuffling on a few points, which is more personal preference, and not a major difference either way.

The group I'm running with is mostly r/l friends and we really only do 5-man and 10-man and just having fun. "Fun" is a key element to me choosing some of my talents, as opposed to min/max to the Nth degree. That doesn't mean I want to spec a single point in every single ability available to me either.

Taking your advice of dropping WotN, I started looking back to Unholy:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#jciMqI0IsbodosthxZ0xhhz:GoImcM)

Ravenous dead is another 3% to strength
Corpse Explosion seems way cool to me - it's an ability i miss from my unholy days.

(as a side note, every time I used to use it, I would shout out: "BEEF" on vent...always good for a laugh...not so funny in text, but pretty funny on vent)