PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some constructive criticism.

Sadysmic
06-08-2009, 12:19 AM
I was just recently allowed to start tanking in 10 man Ulduar(still trying to convince my guild to let me in 25 man), and after reading up and talking to the tanks in my guild, I feel I need some outside opinions. I know this is asked of everyone here a lot, but ya'll have been doing it longer than me, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodscalp&n=Sadysmic)

I haven't had any major problems in 10 man, outside of I felt a little squishy on General Vezax, but I'm just looking for improvements wherever I can get them.

Note: I know my Parry gem in my shoulders isn't optimal, I get the design for the 8 Dodge/12 Stam gem tomorrow and it will soon be in there.

Again, any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Stephanius
06-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Your gear should be sufficient, if not overdoing it. Ulduar10 drops are not required for Ulduar25. Your gear looks like Naxx25+Ulduar10 upgrades.

I can't comment on your spec, I haven't really tried blood tanking myself.

It may not be down to gear and spec but beyond that, i.e. spatial recognition, the ability to adapt to the unforseen, communication and reliability. Even if you are fine in each of these points and others one might come up with, it could be that the guild in general or the the raid leader in particular is more confident or more comfortable with the tanks they do take along than they are with you.

If the guild has enough estalished, veteran raid tanks to cover all the tanking it needs to be done, there is not that much incentive for them to bring you in and take a chance. =/

Jaeden
06-08-2009, 02:18 PM
From a gemming perspective, I'd do this:

Replace your +24 stams with dodge/stam, except one more +41(only saw 2, max is 3). Since your exp capped, that will give you a bit more avoidance.

Sadysmic
06-08-2009, 07:53 PM
I appreciate the responses. I knew as soon as I started wanting to tank that it'd be hard for me to get into the position, as our guild already has 4 main tanks(2 Pally's, 1 Warrior, and 1 Druid), but it's something I'm really wanting to do.

But there's nothing really I can do outside of gemming for straight avoidance that I can do with my gear? No very easy upgrades that I could grab? Unforunately I don't feel gemming for avoidance(outside of my one gem to get a socket bonus) would benefit me as much as the stamina does. I've swapped a trinket around and gotten up to 44% avoidance completely unbuffed, at 46% with Horn of Winter. The only thing more I can think of possibly doing is to switch out my Def enchant on my cloak for the Agility enchant.

VerticalEvent
06-09-2009, 03:45 AM
The only non-Ulduar upgrade I see is getting the Platnium Mesh Cloak with Valorous Emblems (which is BiS pre-Ulduar).

If you got the gold, consider buying a few RUned Orbs and have the belt and boots crafted for you (I got my boots made 4 days ago for about 5k, and the belt a week earlier for about 9k)

Stephanius
06-09-2009, 04:03 AM
If these guys get to attend Ulduar25 while you don't, your chances to catch up on them in gear or surpass them to force your point are very low to non-existant. Of course improving your gear to the maximum possible has it's own benefits, but it won't get you a raid slot in your situation.

I appreciate the responses. I knew as soon as I started wanting to tank that it'd be hard for me to get into the position, as our guild already has 4 main tanks(2 Pally's, 1 Warrior, and 1 Druid), but it's something I'm really wanting to do.

To me this seems to be the meat of the issue. There are four established tanks in the guild covering the Ulduar25 tank spots, plus you wanting to tank there.

If a guild has less raid slots than people who want them, a rotation of people to share these slots around makes sense. That should work if there are no issues between you and the other tanks or the raid leader.

It depends a lot on the availablitiy of these other tanks if there is any room. Since they currently cover it without you, the question is if any of these guys would like to take it a bit more easy, or maybe already has all of the drops from a part of the dungeon and may be willing to let you have his slot.

vine
06-09-2009, 04:57 AM
I'm not a fan of Ravenous Dead, I think the points could be better spent elsewhere, perhaps WotN or Epidemic. Your gear looks fine other than being a little low on +hit, but that's not so important with Blood; Still, I'd try and get it above 200 if you can swing some gear around.
Also why are you not using the JC trinket? It's far superior to Essence.

Sadysmic
06-09-2009, 05:50 AM
If these guys get to attend Ulduar25 while you don't, your chances to catch up on them in gear or surpass them to force your point are very low to non-existant. Of course improving your gear to the maximum possible has it's own benefits, but it won't get you a raid slot in your situation...

The problem is not that I don't get to attend, I'm actually one of our main DPS, top 5 usually in fact. The problem is that it's no longer as fun for me as it used to be, and tanking is something that I've always wanted to do, I did it in BC, and now I'd like to go back to it. Getting my gear up to par in 25 mans is going to be the issue, as we have a "tanks get geared first" policy. Mainly I was looking for possible upgrades/changes to spec and gear so that should they decide to bring me along, I'm not lagging behind in that department.

As for Ravenous Dead, I took it for 1 reason, which effects two things. 3% strength increases both the damage I do, which in turn increases threat, and it also increases my parry rating, and at the time I changed my spec around, I was lacking in the Avoidance department. It's working out for me having that little extra damage/avoidance than longer disease up time, as I have never had a problem keeping my diseases applied. Also, WoTN wasn't appealing to me, as the healers that we have are top notch, I trust them enough to keep it together so that I can lose that layer of protection. As for my JC Trinket, it's simply a matter of preference of an equip bonus rather than a usage buff, as gemmed up, it gives the same health as Gossamer. I do however carry it with me for fights when the extra avoidance would be a better choice.

VerticalEvent
06-09-2009, 06:34 AM
After reading that post, it seems like your better off rolling on Plate gear that drops. Maybe talk to your raidleader/guild master about this and they might be able to work something out as a back up tank.

But, I think it is kind of greedy. You want to tank, which means someone has to give up their spot, while you already have a spot in the Ulduar raid. This isn't about wanting to participate with your guild on guild events.

Sadysmic
06-09-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm not sure I understand how that is greedy. I didn't say I was forcing this decision on my guild and raid group. I'm simply expressing my wish to tank, what they do with it is up to them. All I came here looking for was a little advice on gear/spec, making sure I'm headed in the right direction to tank.

Again, I do appreciate the comments, and I apologize if I come off as greedy or selfish, it's not how I intended it to sound.

Stephanius
06-09-2009, 09:32 AM
I don't think you are greedy or selfish at all for wanting to tank.

If you are in the raid anyway to dps, and you are dual-spec dps/tank while some of the tanks are dual-specced tank/dps, you may be able to swap roles with one of them for part of the run. Yet, if you are one of the top dps in the riad the raid dps might drop when you do that swap.

You do have a lot more wiggle room though if you are there anyway. =]

Sadysmic
06-09-2009, 09:58 AM
That is actually how they are setting up the current tanks now, to be dual specced for DPS. My hope is to be able to jump into the DK tank spot, as we don't have one, and there are bosses that I feel would be better suited for a DK than say a Pally or Warrior.

vine
06-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Well the advantage of being a DK is you can have two specific tank specs like Frost and Blood, switch to your dps gear and still top the damage meters ;)