PDA

View Full Version : Mimiron Firefighter Spec (DK)

Krovacs
06-07-2009, 01:38 PM
I was put in an interesting situation last night, in which I was asked to tank the Mimiron Hard Mode encounter (Firefighter achievement) and I'm not really even a tank. I have a full tank set and I have a lot of Naxx tanking experience, but practically no tanking experience at all in Ulduar.

I decided for last night's attempts to go with an Unholy tank spec, because it seemed like that one offered the best magic mitigation. On our best attempts I managed to survive through 4 Plasma Beams, but it was pretty rough.

I was just wondering, for any DKs out there who have tanked Firefighter, what spec do you use? I was thinking if I ever have to do this again, I might try a Blood spec since that would give me the highest effective health.

I was sitting at about 42k HP fully raid buffed last night. My tank set isn't perfect (I'm normally a DPSer) but I think it is still pretty respectable. Depending on how events unfold, I might end up tanking a whole lot more. So anyway, I'm just looking for some general advice on the Firefighter fight in addition to spec advice.

Nunes
06-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Whenever I would do Sarth +drakes, I would spec Spell Deflection / Toughness / Rest in Unholy. I realize Spell Deflection is kinda bleh now, but you have a ~20% chance to take 45% less damage which will take Plasma Blast from like 50k dmg to 25k.

You can also have a Prot war spec into Safeguard (Reduces damage taken by the target of your Intervene ability by 30% for 6 sec.) for when your CDs are down on the 2-3 Blast.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0EG00hZ0xZfghc0c0LIVocouh)

That's roughly the spec you should be looking, can play around with the fillers, I just randomly picked things but you get the idea.

Krovacs
06-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the reply. We don't have a Prot Warrior available to our 10man, so that's unfortunately not an option. Also, for the Firefighter fight, DPS is a huge priority. Ideally, you want to get phase1 down in 2 or 3 plasma blast.

One question though: Would spell deflection even work against Plasma Blast? The wording of the talent says "Direct Damage spell" and I'm not so sure Plasma Blast is considered direct damage, since it is a channeled spell that does periodic damage over the duration of the channel, similar to Mind Flay.

vine
06-09-2009, 05:05 AM
Spell Deflection works on some AoE damage as well, perhaps Blizzard are selective about it. eg: standing in the Scorched Earth on Ignis will proc it.