PDA

View Full Version : How much threat generation gearing is too much?

GornokArygos
06-05-2009, 02:14 AM
Hi, I am currently sitting at 31 expertise and 270 hit ( with hit rating food). My dodge is at 23.67%, parry is 18.6% and block is 25.09 ( 1309 block value). I socket for hit and expertise more so then for avoidance to increase my threat ( I have to tank for a particularly mean feral). At 29.3k unbuffed health do you think i am balanced in my stats or am I gearing too heavily for threat and not enough for effective health and avoidence ? Feel free to look at my armory my character is Dergrage on Winterhoof US

PhilS
06-05-2009, 02:21 AM
What type of content do you raid?

GornokArygos
06-05-2009, 02:26 AM
Ulduar 10 man mostly trying to get into 25 man. I mostly main tank on the bosses and let the pally or death knight pick up adds

PhilS
06-05-2009, 04:20 AM
First of all if you want to tank in a 25 man, be sure that you are not MT every time. Even in 10 mans i think it is necessary that you build a good team of tanks, cause progressing with more than 1 capable tank is far easier.

Second your gear is quite good for starting 10 man ulduar normal modes. Your threat stats are good, but you should start getting some more health and avoidance, if you want to do hard modes there.

For 25 man ulduar normal modes it's the same as for 10 man hard modes. Get a equipment set with more health and avoidance while not loosing all your threat stats.

Last but not least my favourite tip:
Build seperate equipment sets for different encounters/modes/occassions.
max EH, max threat, avg set for farm bosses etc.

Halandir
06-05-2009, 11:57 AM
a simple suggestion is never use hit rating food, always use expertise food :P

Rhinolicious Wormsteak (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42994) ftw!

Kerg
06-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Build seperate equipment sets for different encounters/modes/occassions.
max EH, max threat, avg set for farm bosses etc.

This. There is no simple answer. Best thing to do is... for each encounter, ask yourself this...

Am I more worried about dying?
or
Am I more worried about losing threat?

Worry about staying alive first, IMO. It's a lot easier for your dps to hold back a little rather than to tell your healers to heal better. :) And if you die, it's a wipe. If you lose aggro, you may be able to taunt him back real quick (at worst a dpser gets eaten)... most Ulduar bosses are tauntable.

Then always have some ways to raise your threat if you are comfortable surviving and can afford to give up a little EH/Avoidance, and you are in a fight where DPSers keep pulling aggro off of you. A pair of gloves with +2% threat enchant. A dual spec with Vigilance/Blocking Glyphs. 2-piece warrior T7 set bonus. Block Value trinkets. Expertise food. Etc. Swap on a few of these pieces and/or switch to a high threat spec to gain a little more threat as needed.

Kerchunk
06-05-2009, 02:23 PM
I always say that you can ask your DPS to hold back but you can never ask a boss to stop hitting you.

You should get "enough" threat to hold aggro off the DPS you normally run with, but you shouldn't be stacking it in favor of avoidance, mitigation or health if you are talking about progression tanking.

GornokArygos
06-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Fights like Hodir for example even with full frost resist gear I take a ton of damage during his frozen blows; However do to moonlight and cozy fire buffs threat can really be a problem thus far it has not been a huge problem but it does become an issue for some of my dps. Its a fine line I guess but If you think effective health is more important then threat, I am just wondering what is an acceptable miss percentage because at the moment on bosses I have 0 misses and around a 2% rate of being parried.