PDA

View Full Version : Am I building the correct set?

Mouse8840
06-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Greetings one and all, I'm here with a few questions, I'll try to be as specific and detailed in what I am asking as possible. If this is the incorrect forum, I apologize - this seemed like the correct place to post but I may be wrong.

To start, here is my armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Draka&n=Sharwyn)

Note that the gem currently in my neck (8 parry, 8 defense) is a temporary gem I was given for free and I simply haven't replaced it just yet. Also, my Hit rating is a bit low but I usually offset that via buff food, and rarely find myself missing once I've buffed up. (I generally eat Snapper Extreme)

That said...

My role within my guild: I am our Paladin off tank, our main tank is generally a Warrior with the other Main Tank / Primary OT being a Druid, I pick up things like Kologarn adds, a guy during Assembly of Iron, lots of trash, all that good stuff. I guess I am the "second" OT so to speak, unless the Druid isn't there and then I become the primary OT.

I've built my gear mostly around set pieces with a decent focus on Block rating, I feel I survive most encounters fine and it seems like I do a good job, I'm a decently experienced player and such, but I always see a lot of posts talking about how a tank should carry two or more sets of gear.

My question, is: Should I be grabbing more EH/AV gear than I currently have? (I looked at this thread http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/47042-best-slot-paladin-tanking-gear-glance.html for a reference regarding BiS EH/AV/T, etc... gear) should I focus on more avoidance and less block? I know during BC a Paladin thrived on Block, but times have changed with Wrath it seems. I compared my avoidance with our Warrior MT and another Paladin who does some OTing when he isn't healing and noticed my Avoidance is a bit lower than either of theirs.

Are two sets of gear REALLY necessary in my situation?

Is my gear going in the right direction?

Threat is never an issue whats so ever, I can pull off just about anyone if I try, and I hold my threat just fine with our top DPSers.

I guess my thing is I'm a bit of a perfectionist, I want to be the absolute best I can be at my class, I want to fill my role and them some whenever possible, and while I feel I've done well up to this point, I cannot help but wonder if I could just be doing a bit better, for all I know I'm just barely getting by and don't even realize it.

I've done my best to do a lot of reading, both here and over at Maintankadin, and I have found a lot of answers to some of my questions but I was hoping for some personal critism I suppose.

Any help is appreciated, thank you for your time.

Holyberry
06-03-2009, 05:45 PM
You are well over block cap (108% avoidance with HS by my half ass calculation). You might want to swap out some of the Def/Stam Mutt gems and go straight stam. Your block is also very high. Block is great for multi-mob tanking and threat, but I prefer dodge and parry for single target mobs. I would say you might want to work on an avoidance set for when you are tanking a single mob or boss. Save the high block stuff for when you are multimob tanking. I don't know about your guild, but we are actually using CC on a lot of mobs in Ulduar, so a high avoidance set would be more beneficial.

Edit: If you consider your self to be a serious tank, situational sets is important.

Mouse8840
06-04-2009, 05:52 PM
I appreciate your advice, I'll start working towards another set and adjusting some of my gems and other things.

Thanks again. =)