PDA

View Full Version : DK starter tank Need help with a good frost spec

Spearhead7419
06-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Hey guys i heard this place was pro for getting the best info for tanking. I'M a DK and i have no idea where to start tanking i heard i needed 2500 to 3500 TPS and i want to get as much threat as possible cause my guid wants me to tank maly,naxx 10/25, and other raides we will even be getting ulduar 10 soon so if you guys have any advice please throw it out their. (and i just got my tank gear set finished 3 set val def capped dodged 22% parry 18% 29.4k unbuffed):D

Martie
06-02-2009, 09:20 AM
You start tanking in heroics.

ps: it's not a def cap.
pps: The TPS you need depends on how well your dps does.

Spearhead7419
06-02-2009, 09:23 AM
yeah i know i have been tankin heroics i did naxx last week i just need a decent frost tankin spec mine doesnt seem to be cuttin it cause i lost aggro on maly 3 times last night and it wasnt pretty XD

Theotherone
06-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Maly can be tough to keep aggro on if the squishes are casting the their butts off when he lands; dropping DnD quickly and using Dark Command on landing helps a lot.

This is my Frost Spec - which I've been pleased with; along with the Glyphs; some will argue that Lichborne is waste of a point; but I like it; I don't know why, but I just do. I also like Death Chill for the Crit it gives on HB for multi-target arrgo.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Alexstrasza&cn=Theotherone&gn=Destiny)

Spearhead7419
06-02-2009, 09:47 AM
if your still their Theotherone then why dont you use Hungering cold? just wonderin and and what is your rotation?

Volador
06-02-2009, 09:50 AM
A quick search (little box on the top right of the forums) for death knight frost tank brought up: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/40694-death-knight-aoe-spec-mt-spec-rotations.html

The first post is pretty informative with specs, rotations, and glyphs. The remaining 34 pages is filled with information as well (if you have the time to spend).

Another post pulled up by the same search: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/50701-class-explications-satorri.html
The above post is full of all kinds of information on every tank out there. I highly recommend at least reading the section about frost DKs.

Good luck (and use the search bar!)

Theotherone
06-02-2009, 10:06 AM
I found Hungering Cold to be more of a PvP spec (I know like Lichborne) and thought the point was better placed in Bladed Armor; I was looking to max BA for threat and had to steal points from somewhere. Normally, (not always) when I pull I tend to use DG or Dark Command ("come here"), drop DnD, IT, PS or BS there's a cooldown period 'cause of the DnD, so hit Death Chill, HB (look at Omen see if the damn 3.5k mage is generating some threat, he thinks he's a 3ft tank or if he's not on Omen, then I know he's messing with me and casting off my target and on his own); then I can get into a normal rotation of IT, PS, (Pest if multi; spread the love), BS, BS, Obliterate - pop in an HB or DS if the healers are struggling, drop DnD again since shortened cooldown and watch for anything running at the aforementioned mage who thinks its great fun to see if I can guess his target and pull it back to me.

Anyway, this has worked well for me;I think my dps could be better, but threat is not an issue; rarely do I lose aggro and if I do it's becuase I did the "run back" in uholy and forgot to go back to frost - DOH!

But I'm open to suggestions, I don't pretend to know everything and some contructive advice is always useful.

VerticalEvent
06-02-2009, 10:30 AM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Dark+Iron&n=Ryudia)

Most DK Tanks don't use Hungering Cold, because we also rely on Howling Blast. Howling Blast breaks Hungering Cold. As well, I find DPS get too happy with AoE, that it would be pointless for me to use, even if I liked it. I can Glyph Howling Blast to give the Frost Fever that Hungering Cold would.

Personally, I prefer Killing Machine over Death Chill - Death and Decay is more then enough for me to hold agro with with trash, and my Killing Machine procs once every 15 seconds, versus Theo's once every 30 seconds.

My Rotation tends to be:
PULL: Icy Touch > Plague Strike > Howling Blast > Blood Strike > Blood Strike
(1) Oblitertate/Howling Blast > Obliterate > Obliterate
Oblitertate/Howling Blast > Obliterate > Blood Strike > Blood Strike > (1)

For single mobs.