PDA

View Full Version : Using PVP gear?!?



DKTankaholic
06-02-2009, 08:58 AM
So i have seen on tankspot, and have seen one or two tanks actually do this, using pvp gear to be uncritiable... Is it a combination of pvp gear and pve gear or how would this work, just curious to see what kind of results you have gotten, and what are the def/res cap or is there a resilance cap if ur gonna tank in pvp gear?

Glittersmith
06-02-2009, 09:03 AM
I am using resilience gems in my frost gear to get uncrittable. This is normally a rather bad idea since you loose out on the added avoidance you would have gotten from defense gear.

But if you are desperat about getting those last little points to get uncrittable by bosses and can't get it in any other way at that moment then go ahead.

DKTankaholic
06-02-2009, 09:22 AM
ok so glitter let me make sure i'm getting this right, if you can't get to the def cap by reg gear and are having a problem by gemming, and enchanting, then would be the time to go for pvp gear to get the uncritiable? Just making sure i'm understanding you correctly

Superspy23
06-02-2009, 09:50 AM
ok so glitter let me make sure i'm getting this right, if you can't get to the def cap by reg gear and are having a problem by gemming, and enchanting, then would be the time to go for pvp gear to get the uncritiable? Just making sure i'm understanding you correctly

Basically yes. The easiest way to look at your character sheet and know you're uncritable is to hover over your def skill get the reduction in crit amount and hover over your resilience and get the crit reduction amount and add them together. If they add up to 5.6% then you're good. Resilience raging adds up faster toward reducing crit than defense rating. However resilience doesn't reduce your chance to be hit while also increasing your dodge, block and parry.

For instance, my guild MT has 533 defense which gives 5.32% reduction in crits. He also has the helm enchant with 30 stam and 25 resilience. That 25 resilience gives 0.3% reduction in crits. Add that together and he's at 5.62% reduction on incoming crits. Hes crit immune.

Defense is better but if your just shy of crit immunity then resilience will get you there.

DKTankaholic
06-02-2009, 10:07 AM
AH so if ur already or over def capped (and in my case in the 550's due to my sigil) Using resiliance wouldn't really be needed. Thanks guys that cleared up my quetion

Monteverdi
06-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Also, the PVP shoulder enchant is rather nice, especially if you aren't exalted with Hodir yet.

Yarock
06-02-2009, 11:45 AM
There is also a unique-equipped pvp gem for 20 resilience - but remember resilience does nothing other than reach the crit cap for PvE but point for point it gets you there faster than defense rating.

Rune
06-03-2009, 01:56 AM
As a new tank when I was struggling to be defence capped I found a huge bonus in partially meeting the cap through resilience, because itemisation wise I wasnt forced to use a few inferior pieces of gear which purely had higher defence but seriously lacked in stamina/avoidance etc. Trying to rem the item but there was a cheap craftable bracer I think which had resilience and high stamina where the only other readily available option had a bit of defence and very little stamina, and with the resilience had enough margin to wear one of the craftable rings which was mainly stamina and no def too.

I moved to pure def for making the difference once I could though once I was able get enough proper gear to do so, but it was very useful at that particular time.