PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get my head around bears

korenwolf
06-02-2009, 06:19 AM
Hi all,

I've tried kitty and I just don't get the buzz from lurking behind the boss smacking it across the back of the head that I get from healing or standing front and center demanding to be hit. So it's bear form for his second spec.

After reading various guides I'm still trying to wrap my head around what I need to be achieving to start tanking the 5-man heroics on my bear. Either I'm reading the wrong guides or the differences from my main (tankadin) are just so huge on stats and gearing that it's just not settling into my brain.

Any hints on the best place to start and what I need to be aiming for to be a functional bear meat shield?

thanks

Astemus
06-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Going from gearing a plate tank to a bear is really one of the most confusing switches imho.

Starting out? If you have blue gear, put it on, if you have epics, put those on. I tried to wrap my head around it starting out and just got a headache. You're basically just looking for the highest stamina leather you can find. You still use the same jewelry and trinkets as a plate tank, minus the parry/block ones.

Simple prio for gear... Stam first, Agi second, Armor third. I'd reccomend trying Rawr, it really helped me get situated with bear gear. But starting out, you shouldn't have to worry about it too much.

Just don't charge into a heroic as soon as you spec bear and expect to perform. I have some guildies who still won't let me forget that. Tank a normal instance, maybe one lower level to get used to the moves in practice. Target dummies aren't very good to practice tanking.

edit. Really, bears have it easiest when starting out, as there's no real requirements other than lolstamlol stacking. Other tanks have to worry about being crit immune.

And this probably isn't the right forum for gear questions, should have gone in the help forum or the gear forum.

Satrina
06-02-2009, 11:08 AM
And this probably isn't the right forum for gear questions, should have gone in the help forum or the gear forum.

Yup.

korenwolf
06-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Going from gearing a plate tank to a bear is really one of the most confusing switches imho.

True but as I said, tanking is my thing so re-learning the challenges is all good.

Simple prio for gear... Stam first, Agi second, Armor third. I'd reccomend trying Rawr, it really helped me get situated with bear gear. But starting out, you shouldn't have to worry about it too much.

That's what I was looking for, there are gearing lists out there but it's trying to get my head around the priorities on the stats, which ones I need to be stacking and which ones I need to be stacking on buffs (from the above it looks like "huge health pool" is the key winner to start with.

Just don't charge into a heroic as soon as you spec bear and expect to perform. I have some guildies who still won't let me forget that. Tank a normal instance, maybe one lower level to get used to the moves in practice.

I'll probably get one of the guild healers to go out with me to play with packs of mobs in the Hills or Icecrown to start with, get the hang of collecting mobs and hanging onto them, then some normals.

edit. Really, bears have it easiest when starting out, as there's no real requirements other than lolstamlol stacking. Other tanks have to worry about being crit immune.

Oh don't remind me, all that effort working out which plate I needed, which enchants and which gems just to get to crit immune before I could start really working things. Of course tanking an all plate party was an 'interesting' challenge.

Thanks for the hints, now to go stack stam
:)