PDA

View Full Version : New warrior tank

Duinard
06-01-2009, 02:05 PM
alright im a lvl 78 human warrior, i am a new tank and have been doing decent hardly losing aggro. im still working on getting geared so dont look at me and say "why does this kid have dps trinks?" my answer will always remain the same... im a new tank coming from arms.

Anyways im looking to know all of the basics and important things of warrior tanking.

and most importantly, the best rotation for me.

Lizana
06-01-2009, 02:15 PM
TankSpot's Critical Guides & Articles Library - TankSpot (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/)

Go here, read guides, come back with any exact questions you have after that...

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/46925-defensive-stance-warrior-information-compilation.html

too

Duinard
06-01-2009, 02:19 PM
is devastate a good way to pick up threat... or just sunder? and for TC should i just use to pick up aggro or fit it into my rotation

Lizana
06-01-2009, 02:24 PM
TC always on bosses or if your AOE tanking, Shield slam is a better way to "pick up" threat. Always devastate, no need to ever use sunder if your speced for devastate. But keep in mind devastate is your least threat move as part of your tanking priority

Duinard
06-01-2009, 02:24 PM
i found this and its close to what i do now, the only big difference is that i use TC to help pick up multiple targets

Shield slam
Revenge
Concussion Blow
Shockwave
Devestate
Thunderclap
Heroic Strike

I wasnt specific, i put TC in the beginning of the rotation just to get aggro on me

cen1
06-01-2009, 02:29 PM
You'll want to use devastate, as it also does damage on top of sundering armor.

And for thunderclap, I use this quite often, both single target and multi-target tanking. Reducing the bosses swing timer helps a lot and an essential tool in multi-mob tanking.

I am one of very few warriors in my guild, so I have a little added responsibility as far as keeping debuffs like thunderclap and demo shout up as much as possible. Depending on your raid setup, this might be delegated to someone else.

Duinard
06-01-2009, 02:33 PM
what i ment when i said "is devastate a good way to pick up threat... or just sunder?" i didnt mean should i use devastate or sunder armor, i meant should i use it souly for the purpose of some threat but mainly sundering armor

Durandro
06-01-2009, 02:34 PM
When you have the rage spare, make sure you Heroic Strike or Cleave (in AoE situations) with every single swing. If you don't, then...don't.

My priority tends to be Shield Slam (especially if it Procs from Sword and Board), Thunderclap, Revenge, Shockwave (when you have rage to spare), Concussive Blow and then Devastate (especially good for getting S&B procs). Though it depends on the situation.

Also, I quite often start a fight by using Heroic Throw, Charge, Thunderclap, Demoralising Shout. Though again it depends.

cen1
06-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Basically devastate has become a baseline ability... it's kind of like your anchor. Although it does not do the most threat, it opens the doors to other abilities and can be used to keep your rotation moving. You want to use devastate when all of your high threat generating abilities are cooling down (Shield Slam, Revenge, Shockwave, Conc. Blow), and to proc Sword & Board... and of course to keep the sunders stacked.

Duinard
06-01-2009, 02:38 PM
i usually start with TC but i never really thought about demoralizing shout to start

cen1
06-01-2009, 02:42 PM
I usually open fights with heroic throw, thunderclap & demo shout... Depending on the boss I'll also hit shield block so my first shield slam is a big one to give me a healthy threat lead in case of a trigger happy dps...

Duinard
06-01-2009, 02:47 PM
yeah... my biggest problem is that i want like 2 or 3 sec tops to get started b4 dps really start hitting hard, it seems when i have a dps causing decent threat right when i start i have trouble keeping aggro for a few seconds, causing early commotion even though i normally pick up aggro quickly if any is lost...any suggestions

cen1
06-01-2009, 02:55 PM
yeah you'll want to work on your opener then. I like throwing Tclap & Demo up early so I don't get insta-gib'd by some fluke or the healers weren't ready.

Biggest thing I can suggest is to either state that you need an extra sec. & hope the dps respects that, or you can maybe change the way to open up.
Heroic throw is awesome, also charging when you can can give you that much needed rage early on. Shield Slam, Revenge, and start right into your rotation...

Again shield block might benefit you at the start to get a big first shield slam, and perhaps even catch a S&B proc and get another one in early.

Duinard
06-01-2009, 02:58 PM
sounds good, what major glyphs and minors should i use

cen1
06-01-2009, 03:02 PM
so far yours look okay... I would drop the enduring victory glyph, that's not helping you at all.
Think of what perks you would like...
I like the Tclap radius glyph, also glyph of revenge & heroic strike are also good.
You may want to check out the last stand & shield wall glyphs if you feel you'll need those cooldowns often.

Duinard
06-01-2009, 03:14 PM
yeah my laptop is at my friends house right and im waiting for him to get off work so i can get it but when i do ill prolly have glyph of revenge or HS