PDA

View Full Version : Crusade Vs. Sanctity of Battle

Oniyoh
06-01-2009, 09:24 AM
I am looking to maximize my threat so I am using a higher end threat spec.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Elune&n=Oniyoh&group=1)

I have one of two options: I can stay where I am and just keep crusade for tanking, or I can drop crusade and take the 3% more crit and 15% to my exorcism with Sanctity of Battle. (The only reason why I mention exorcism is because when I toss my shield I also slam the mob with exorcism for an extra threat spike.)

Now I am fine where I am at, but I don't tank to be "fine", I tank for improvement. Could I have some advice and opinions on which to take?

Cardolan
06-01-2009, 09:32 AM
There are two considerations when comparing them.

Is a 15% damage increase to one ability better than a 3/6% damage increase to everything? Almost certainly not; the unmodified damage on Exorcism would have to be incredibly high for it to be the better option.

Is reliability preferable to chance? I'd say yes. I'd rather have a guaranteed damage increase than an extra 3/100 chance that an attack will have its damage doubled.

Why do you want to increase your threat, anyway? Are you actually having trouble keeping aggro or do you just want to look at higher numbers?

Bastien
06-01-2009, 10:04 AM
There's a thread on Maintankin that talks about best spec, best weap enchant, etc....all of the aspects of generating the most threat. It's a giant wall of text, but the author is savvy enough to throw in (and periodically update) graphs that show TPS calculations for different specs, enchants, whatever.

Looking at your Armory....
...hit capped
...expertise capped
...defense minimum
...most likely block capped

The only suggestions I would really have to tweak your threat is drop your +hit gem and 1 or 2 of your +stam gems for +str gems. According to the aforementioned thread on Maintankadin, 0/53/18 is going to be the best threat spec. I personally prefer the 2 points in Pursuit of Justice versus the full 5/5 in Conviction, but that boils down to personal preference, versatility and play style.

Oniyoh
06-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Why do you want to increase your threat, anyway? Are you actually having trouble keeping aggro or do you just want to look at higher numbers?

I am looking to open an option so I can use the glyph of hand of salvation as a cooldown if it is needed. I like my high end threat spec a lot, and I use to have problems with threat, because I had trigger happy mages so I just switched a few things around. But good 6% on most bosses is >3% crit.

Bastien,
I appreciate the advice, but you hardly, if at all answered the topic. Instead you gave me a generic "Look it up" answer without even giving me a link :( :P

I do appreciate it though, maybe a link would help?

But in all honesty I should have probably clarified: I have no threat problems as of right now. I just want to maximize the most out of my current spec.

Helgi
06-01-2009, 12:07 PM
I can't say what is best for you, but I did some playing around awhile back.

I found that Sanctity of Battle produced higher threat in Naxx while Crusade produced higher threat in other raids like Ulduar. I assume that Sanctity of Battle is higher in Naxx because of the free crit on basically ever mob in that dungeon.

I personally use Crusade now, mainly because of Ulduar progression and because the threat I lose from not using Sanctity of Battle in Naxx is minimal.

Holyberry
06-01-2009, 06:22 PM
I use Crusade my self, and my threat and DPS are both excellent. Your talent spec looks pretty solid, but I like Imp HoJ over DG (just a personal preference).

Alent
06-01-2009, 06:51 PM
I don't think you're going to see an appreciable difference after a few Hand of Salvs either way. 20% is 20%. :^/

No matter what you do with your spec, every time you use it you have to ask how far behind you is the #2 threat? Is it a 2 tank situation where you taunt swap? Is threat even an issue because you're on the second or third kill target?

That's too much thought or preparation for a panic button you need to hit without a moment's hesitation. We're supposed to be getting a new one in 3.2 anyway.

headknocker
06-02-2009, 05:39 AM
I toyed with the same basic idea (using the HoS as an extra cooldown). I've been watching my threat lead, and I've never come up with a situation where both I could use it and wanted to use it at the same time. The problem is as much the other tanks as it is DPS. Generally when I most want an extra cooldown is when we're doing a 'pass the insane amount of damage' game between the tanks. It is rare these days that I have a 20% over the OT when that's what's going on (as opposed to he's dealing with adds and I'm beating on the boss). If I pop HoS I'll pass the boss back to the OT before he's ready for it. Its increasingly rare as dps gears up that I've got a 20% lead over them.

Having said, that I haven't answered your question. Basically, you have the max threat spec now. The only thing that you can really do to up your threat is increase strength or block value. You could certainly swap some block value gear in, but that will impact your avoidance, or you can gem a bit more for strength (with a lesser impact). Bliz made a concious effort to separate threat stats from avoidance stats, so you can chose which one you want, but not have both.

Akeber
06-02-2009, 08:51 AM
I put in the HoS glyph the day it became available on my server, and I have used it countless times since. Yes, I glance at omen before I pop it, but there have only been a handful of times where I've wanted to use it and didn't for fear of someone pulling threat from me. In fact, it's my standard 3rd CD for mimiron phase one in 10 man, which technically requires no CDs, but I'd rather use them to be safe.

Bastien
06-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Bastien,
I appreciate the advice, but you hardly, if at all answered the topic. Instead you gave me a generic "Look it up" answer without even giving me a link :( :P

I do appreciate it though, maybe a link would help?

Sorry, I probably wasn't awake yet and focused on "want to maximize my threat".

Here's a link. (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?p=415177#p415177)

Grab a cup of coffee. Enjoy.