PDA

View Full Version : Just can't hold AoE aggro

Snirj
05-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi. I'm a bit new to tanking, however I have Offtanked quite a few Naxx runs. When I tank heroics, I usually have a hard time keeping aggro against the DPS. My general rotation is Heroic Throw/Charge > Shield Block > Thunder Clap > Shockwave > Cleave > Revenge > Devastates/Heroic Strike/Shield Slam when available. I make using Thunder Clap/Shockwave first priority when they are available. What am I doing wrong?

Lizana
05-31-2009, 12:09 PM
First off never shock wave while Shield block is up. You want the mobs to attack while you have the increased SBV.

Are you using the glyph of Vig and putting it on an aoe dper?

Also one thing i do, I will charge in, Shield slam one mob, tab target another throw a revenge/Devestate with a heroic strike, Tab and repeat that till i get to the first mob and then Re shield slam and repeat until all mobs are dead

Snirj
05-31-2009, 12:13 PM
No. I don't have glyph of Vig.

Now that you mention tab targeting, I think that may be what I'm doing wrong. It's sometimes challenging for me because I may target mobs that I'm not in combat with. I do it occasionally, but is there a specific amount of time I should spend per mob?

Lizana
05-31-2009, 12:16 PM
You want to build starting threat on all the mobs, enough so the dps doesnt pull. If its a 4 mob pull i try to have my HS and at least one attack on the rest of the mobs by the time my SS comes off cooldown on the main burn target

Snirj
05-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Ok, that's good information. I generall try to mark targets, is it necessary or should I be able to hold aggro with people spamming AoEs?

Lizana
05-31-2009, 12:22 PM
Once you get tab targeting down and can switch between your targets, you should be able to hold threat aoe wise if your a Deep wounds build off equal geared dps.

Lizana
05-31-2009, 12:23 PM
And i just looked at your spec... i would really recommend a deep wounds build. That will help quite a bit with aoe threat gen as well

Snirj
05-31-2009, 12:25 PM
Ok, can you link me one? Or tell me a place where I can find one?

Lizana
05-31-2009, 12:31 PM
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhbZMItrx0zidIzsGo:dANmMz)

Snirj
05-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Thank you very much!