PDA

View Full Version : Frost tanking - questions

Feanorr
05-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Hello there,

I recently got some agro problem with my current blood tank spec - burst agro problem to be more exact; i.e. I dont generate enough threat at the start of a battle or when adds pop (like in thorim arena). So I used a Frost spec and my problem was solved. I am not sure that my agro is better on the long term, but it is definetly quicker; quite usefull on some fights. I dont know if I will permanently switch to frost or keep it as a second spec (i.e. 2 tank spec) but anyway I had some questions about it.

Here is my spec and glyphs: here (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0EZhxx0AbIoc0iost0xh:kTaMmV)

As you can see I left 2 point unspent; I hesitate between 2hand spec and scent of blood. And if I take scent of blood should I max it by lowering bladed armor to 4/5.
I could also not take morbidity and take both 2H spec and scent of blood, but with the 10 sec reuse on HB, I feel more confortable with it for AOE; especially that, with my spec and gear, HB can miss (I dont have Virulence and I am far from being spell hit caped).
About that, am I right to think that a crit cant miss? i.e. if I use Deathchill for HB, I cant miss with it? That's one of the reason I took deathchill, to be sure to not miss the first HB (and that it crit) in AOE (another reason is to have an even better burst agro by using it with FS at the start of a fight).

tks for any help

Niniel

Lectux
05-29-2009, 10:55 PM
if you speced for deathchill i suggest you use it when you are pulling so you a good crit to start off ur tps. if your frost, you 'can' skip scent of blood and i suggest you get acclimation for sexy spell resistance and stuffs.

so you might come up with this ;D. If i'm wrong can anyone else comment on my mistakes please. i didnt put in the glyph's since your's are probably good :x

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight=0055020000000000000000000000305050003 5003310230025131351005000000000000000000000000000&glyph=000000000000&version=9767

Feanorr
05-29-2009, 11:28 PM
if your frost, you 'can' skip scent of blood and i suggest you get acclimation for sexy spell resistance and stuffs.

Well, the only fight in Ulduar where I can see a use of acclimation is Hodir (not sure about yogg saron since I didnt do it exept for phase 1). So I wont spend 3 talents points for 1 fight.

sillypuddy
05-29-2009, 11:34 PM
if you speced for deathchill i suggest you use it when you are pulling so you a good crit to start off ur tps. if your frost, you 'can' skip scent of blood and i suggest you get acclimation for sexy spell resistance and stuffs.

so you might come up with this ;D. If i'm wrong can anyone else comment on my mistakes please. i didnt put in the glyph's since your's are probably good :x

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight=0055020000000000000000000000305050003 5003310230025131351005000000000000000000000000000&glyph=000000000000&version=9767

/agree

Undeathguy
05-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Hello there,
As you can see I left 2 point unspent; I hesitate between 2hand spec and scent of blood. And if I take scent of blood should I max it by lowering bladed armor to 4/5.

Don't take scent of blood over bladed armour IMO, because in my experience you generate enough runic power anyway without having scent of blood giving a heap more, you just don't have time in rotations to dump that much.

I could also not take morbidity and take both 2H spec and scent of blood, but with the 10 sec reuse on HB, I feel more confortable with it for AOE; especially that, with my spec and gear, HB can miss (I dont have Virulence and I am far from being spell hit caped).
About that, am I right to think that a crit cant miss? i.e. if I use Deathchill for HB, I cant miss with it? That's one of the reason I took deathchill, to be sure to not miss the first HB (and that it crit) in AOE (another reason is to have an even better burst agro by using it with FS at the start of a fight).

tks for any help

Niniel

You want to take morbitity, because when you're tanking trash or heroics, having D&D up really makes a difference, and it minimises downtime between pulls and helps to pick up more adds like on noth plaguebringer, you can icy touch a skeleton and D&D where annother will walk, making it come to you.

I suggest something like this
it gets rid of things like killing machine which arent really nescesary, and adds runic power mastery, making RP dumps easier.

If you run without a windfury totem then try something like this
which gives the raid a 20% haste increase which can help out, but doesn't stack with windfury.

MouseDK
05-30-2009, 12:57 AM
I tank the arena as UH and run frost on most other fights. I would say Morbidity is completely unecessary as Frost. Your spec for Frost is not what I would go (I run 12/52/7 I believe) but the choices are mostly flavor.

Satorri
05-30-2009, 04:50 AM
Looks like solid advice so far, but with a couple points:

1.) Totally agree, don't stinge on Bladed Armor, none of the others match it point for point when it comes to tank threat.

2.) Don't bother with Morbidity. It's half wasted since you won't be DC'ing much, and the only way to make use of the other half is DnDing on CD.

For your spec above, I'd drop a point from Scent of Blood to finish off Glacier Rot. I feel you on Thorim, I actually swapped tanking duties because the pacing is very awkward for DK cooldowns to pick up stuff that joins one by one. I tank the hallway at high speed, and my warrior teammate takes the arena and smashes everything in the face with his shield.

Frost is great burst, and great burst at range, though with the longer CD on HB you'll want to find a way to A.) delay it's use until you can tag 2-3 things at a time, and B.) slip Oblits in while you're switching around targets to get Rime procs for more aoe threat.

Feanorr
05-30-2009, 10:22 AM
The link was not the good one; I corrected it: that's my current spec (with 2 points unspent):

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0EZhxx0AbIoc0iost0xh:kTaMmV)

Frost is great burst, and great burst at range, though with the longer CD on HB you'll want to find a way to A.) delay it's use until you can tag 2-3 things at a time, and B.) slip Oblits in while you're switching around targets to get Rime procs for more aoe threat.That's why I like to have morbidity, to switch between DnD and HB; but it's true that the fight where it's usefull are limited.

I will try without it I see how it work.

Tks

Lectux
05-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Wrong link again... by the way, i for one like the acclimation. You should test out our specs and see if it helps if it does not, come back here and post your problems (losing agro, bad tps/dps, etc etc)

;D

Feanorr
05-30-2009, 03:28 PM
ok I dont know what's going on with mmochampions talents calculator but it kept showing the wrong one so I replaced it with one from wowhead; sorry.

So that was the spec I was talking about. Now I replaced Morbidity by scent of blood, and took 2H spec. I didnt got a raid to test it yet, though.

Lectux
05-31-2009, 12:19 AM
I hope we were of help to your tanking :), tell us if anymore problems occur.