PDA

View Full Version : Tank QuickGuide

Helgi
05-29-2009, 05:19 PM
This was posted on my old guild's forums, but that guild has since disbanded (burnt out GM, seems fairly common) and so I thought I would put it here. Just a guild reference sheet to tanking stats. I couldn't find one here after a quick search (granted it wasn't a very thorough search) so I thought I would post it. Maybe if it proves helpful enough it'll get stickied :D

Also, I haven't updated it in awhile, so if anyone finds any conversions that have changed/proved incorrect let me know.

** ALL of the values/coefficients/conversions/etc. below are for characters at level 80 and are BEFORE talents & buffs are applied. Also, these values only apply to the 4 tanking classes: Warriors, Paladins, Druids (Bear), and Death Knights. Some of the math is different for the other classes.

Caps

Defense - Uncrittable
Raid - 540 Defense, 5.6% crit hit reduction, +689 defense rating from gear
Heroic - 535 Defense, 5.4% crit hit reduction, + 665 defense rating from gear
Resilience - 460 Resilience, 5.6% crit hit reduction

Expertise Cap
Soft Cap (Dodge) - 26 Expertise, 214 rating, 6.5%
Hard Cap (Parry) - 56 Expertise, 460 rating, 14%

Hit Cap
Melee - 263 hit rating, 8%
Melee Dual Wield - 886 hit rating, 27%
Spell - 446 hit rating, 17%

Armor Cap
49905 (75% DR)

Warrior Caps
Dodge - 88.129021%
Parry - 47.003525%
Miss - 16.000000%

Paladin Caps
Dodge - 88.129021%
Parry - 47.003525%
Miss - 16.000000%

Death Knight Caps
Dodge - 88.129021%
Parry - 47.003525%
Miss - {unknown}

Druid Caps
Dodge - 116.890707%
Miss - {unknown}

Conversions

Avoidance Stats Conversions*
39.34799 dodge rating = 1% dodge chance
49.18499 parry rating = 1% parry chance
122.9625 defense rating = 1% dodge, parry, & miss chance

Agility Conversions (per 1 agility)*
Class-------------Dodge(%)-----------Crit Chance(%)
Warrior-----------0.013600--------------0.0160
Paladin-----------0.019200--------------0.0192
Deathknight-----0.013600---------------0.0160
Druid-------------0.024000--------------0.0120

Mitigation Stats Conversions
16.26 block rating = 1% block chance
1 agility = 2 armor
2 stength = 1 block value
4 attack power = 1 "absorption value" (Druids, Savage Defense)

Other Useful Conversions
4.91850 defense rating = 1 defense skill
1 strength = 2 attack power
1 stamina = 10 health
1 stamina = 12.5 health (Bear form)
45.91 crit rating = 1% melee crit chance
81.97 resilience = -1% chance to be crit hit
32.79 haste rating = 1% haste
25.22 haste rating = 1% haste (melee haste; paladins, druids, and death knights only)
8.10 expertise rating = 1 expertise
26.232 hit rating = 1% spell hit
32.79 hit rating = 1% melee hit

* Note that ALL avoidance stats have diminishing returns, meaning that the actual value will be less than what is expected. Base (naked) values and values changed by talents are immune to diminishing returns.

Satorri
05-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Nice references. Good info to have. I'm actually not sure if they're so concisely listed elsewhere on the site, though I imagine it will be mentioned very shortly if they already are. =)

jere
05-30-2009, 06:22 AM
you probably want to include the spell hit cap since it affects all tanking classes (taunt, some paladin abilities, DK abilities, Thunder Clap, etc.)

Also add in the conversion ratings for hit and spell hit to go along with that.

Some other good things to consider:

Base stat values (health, str, mana, agil, etc.) -- class based
Naked stat values (health, str, mana, agil, etc) -- race and class based

Gordiggan
06-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Wonderful reference sheet! You have no idea how many times I've had to search for the same cap or conversion info because I wasn't bright enough to create something similar of my own :)

Satrina
06-01-2009, 11:02 AM
There are a few of those that should go into the frequently asked questions post

Helgi
06-01-2009, 11:07 AM
you probably want to include the spell hit cap since it affects all tanking classes (taunt, some paladin abilities, DK abilities, Thunder Clap, etc.)

Also add in the conversion ratings for hit and spell hit to go along with that.

Some other good things to consider:

Base stat values (health, str, mana, agil, etc.) -- class based
Naked stat values (health, str, mana, agil, etc) -- race and class based

Added spell hit cap. I'll add the conversion ratings for hit once I am done being lazy.

Decided not to include the base values, since it varies by class & race. Plus I doubt anyone that isn't bored/crazy will head into Ulduar naked :)

[EDIT] Added the conversion ratings for both melee and spell. Also added the dual wield hit cap, since I suppose it is possible for a Death Knight to dual wield tank.

[EDIT 2] Added the conversion for Savage Defense, since a coworker who plays a Druid gave a hard time about not loving Druids.

jere
06-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Gotcha. I though it was more of a reference list kind of thing. Didn't realize it was more of an Ulduar prep thing. My bad!

Looks good.

Helgi
06-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Gotcha. I though it was more of a reference list kind of thing. Didn't realize it was more of an Ulduar prep thing. My bad!

Looks good.

Well, not just for Ulduar, for anything really. I was just thinking that it would be more useful to people who were trying to get the last point of something (like dodge/defense/etc.) out of their gear/enchants/gems; not someone who wanted to know what their stats are when naked :D

I suppose I could be wrong though, if enough people reply saying that they want to know their stats without any gear I'll post it.

jere
06-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Nah, you should be good without that info. It's only useful for determining things like avoidance after diminishing returns and other theorycraft type stuff.

FuzzyFezz
06-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Alright this might seem like a silly question to some, but I'm fairly new to druid tanking. I've tanked 25-naxx and 10-Ulduar on my paladin, but I'm still working on leveling my 54 druid and wanted to get ahead of the game on stats. One thing I'm a little lost on...is the Survival of the Fittest talent intended to eliminate the need for so much defense for bear tanks? It says 6%, which is more than the 5.6% crit reduction listed on the def stats. I understand that there is more to stats than crit reduction alone (such as stam, avoidance (dodge for druid, since there is no parry or shield block)/mitigation, attack power for threat generation, etc.), but I'd rather not focus too much on defense rating if I can gem for other stats when I get into outlands/northrend. For leveling dungeons I imagine that being uncrittable isn't as necessary but it would be nice to no wipe on lower level dungeons because I was underprepared...but for future reference at 80 especially, is there a different defense cap for druid tanks talented for Survival of the Fittest? I heard something about it once when I needed to switch to resist gear and lost my pally's def cap, but the druid tank in my guild said they were uncrittable and it didn't matter. I admit I am a little lost in the sauce, so please be gentle correcting me :p

jere
06-02-2009, 02:55 PM
There is no amount of defense needed by druids if you have survival of the fittest. You can ignore defense at that point if you like (well it still gives some avoidance I guess, but there are better stats for that).

If you didn't talent survival of the fittest at all, your defense minimum is the same as every other tank 5.6%.

If you only took 1 point, it is 5.6-2 = 3.6% from defense/resil
If you took 2 points, it is 5.6-4=1.6% from defense/resil

Satorri
06-03-2009, 04:59 AM
Survival of the Fittest is WAY too amazing for a bear for just that reason. If you ended up getting some defense from necks/rings it will still help a bit since it will buff your miss and dodge, but the talent is PACKED full of bear value.

Each point is +2% to all attributes (notably Str/Agi/Stam), +11% to armor in Bear Form (on top of your already 370%), and 2% reduction to your chance to be crit (246 def rating's worth!!!).

FuzzyFezz
06-04-2009, 05:59 AM
There is no amount of defense needed by druids if you have survival of the fittest. You can ignore defense at that point if you like (well it still gives some avoidance I guess, but there are better stats for that).

If you didn't talent survival of the fittest at all, your defense minimum is the same as every other tank 5.6%.

If you only took 1 point, it is 5.6-2 = 3.6% from defense/resil
If you took 2 points, it is 5.6-4=1.6% from defense/resil

Thanks, I had heard that but wasn't quite sure if it was true. Any feral (whether bear tank or kitty dps) should have it if nothing for the stat boost, I'd think. Now my concern I guess will be going for stam or str/agil, along with the much needed dodge. I think I'll pass on def when I can, since 16 dodge rating provides much more dodge than def does (otherwise why would any tank use straight avoidance rating if defense rating provided the same or better avoidance stats?). I'm looking right now at the combination between LW and JC, since both can provide a significant amount of stats for any role...the +90 stam LW bracer upgrade and the +41 stam JC prismatic gems are very tempting...my JC pally tank has had slightly over 31k hp unbuffed (40k raid-buffed), but I'm interested to see what numbers I'll be able to see with a JC/LW druid tank combo...

Helgi
06-04-2009, 01:51 PM
For a feral tank, Agility is definitely a huge stat:

Provides Armor
Provides Crit (good for Savage Defense)
Provides Dodge. If you look at the Agility -> Dodge conversion, Feral tanks get WAY more dodge from agility than any of the other tanking classes. I think it is only slightly less than what you get from dodge rating too.

It used to be that Druids just stacked agility and stamina. Now, strength is also a valuable stat as it contributes much more to your threat than it used to, and it will also boost the amount absorbed by your Savage Defense.

Defense is basically a waste of a stat. The only time I would ever get defense as a druid is if a ring dropped that had some defense along with dodge/hit/expertise.