PDA

View Full Version : Agi as a tank stat?

Star Scythe
05-29-2009, 12:56 PM
I was looking around the internet when I found someone try and make an argument that [dark edge of depravity] was Best in slot for DK tanks. Dark Edge of Depravity - Thottbot: World of Warcraft (http://thottbot.com/i45533)

Personally i'll make my own judgement on whether it's BiS or not on my own, but i'll need some info before i can make that call and have to get into a fight with the hunters and druids for a polearm (though hopefully it's one of the swords/axes i'm looking at, ret-a-din tears are a nice bonus =P ).

Does anyone know the conversion from Agility to dodge for DKs? or Agility to armor? and on an offspec note: agility to crit?

Hayate
05-29-2009, 06:01 PM
personally i wouldn't argue if that is a BiS, because the 2h Mace [Hammer of Crushing Whispers (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=46067)] (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=46067)that drops of Yogg Hard mode 10 man is also another BiS item. If you needed the hit, I would say yes, on top of the that 2h Sword has tons of Avoidance, just like Black Ice that come off 10 man Maly, I use that on my DK tanking for a while.

Feanorr
05-29-2009, 06:03 PM
I dont know the formula but the addon Rating buster can show you the agi>dodge conversion (and agi>armor and agi>crit).

But anyway, there isnt much 2H weapon with agi in Ulduar (plus it got top DPS, a lot of stam, 2 gems, some +hit). I dont know if it's "the best" but it's definetly one of the top.

Kerchunk
05-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Does anyone know the conversion from Agility to dodge for DKs? or Agility to armor? and on an offspec note: agility to crit?

Why is crit an "offspec note?" Do DKs not like threat? :)

Per Agility:
2 Armor
0.01% Dodge
0.02% Crit

112 Agility:
224 Armor
1.27% Dodge
1.79% Crit

That's for Warriors. I would assume it's roughly equivalent for DKs.

Satorri
05-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Agility is a great stat for DK tanks, and I keep crossing my fingers that Icecrown tanking gear will have Str/Agi/Stam.

Agility gives melee crit (a bit of a margin less than crit rating), armor (2 armor per pt), and dodge (diminishes, but slightly less than dodge rating). The combination makes it quite valuable for survival and threat, though it splits its value over everything so it isn't competitive on any one stat with other pure stats.

For the (non-hard mode, more universally attainable) weapons from Ulduar there are 2 weapons that I'm seeing as my top choices though they have different focuses:
World Carver = big strength, highest stam, expertise out the wazoo
Rune Edge = big agility, still strong stam, crit/armor pen

(bear in mind I'm blood so that armor pen is delicious for threat)
World Carver, which I now have, is fantastic for health, you do get a decent measure of parry from the strength and high amounts of AP, as also inflated by my talents. Rune Edge trades a lot of AP (because it is only AP, not strength, and a lesser equivalent) but gains a LOT of crit from Agi AND Crit, and in my gear is worth about 1.4% dodge. I was sad in trading ID to World Carver that I actually lost a full 0.8% net avoidance, that said, it is still HOT threat. I also still miss the crit. I will likely try to pickup Rune Edge for my avoidance set, though it is appealing for the crit buffing to Blood.

Star Scythe
05-30-2009, 04:26 PM
i was thinking either Worldcarver or Aesir's edge with a dodge gem and a dodge/stam gem until then, because it will be a while before I'm on hardmode yogg...and they would both be good offspec weapons when i get something a little more tankish, my ID is getting outdated quick... it also looks like the ulduar tank gear is a lot more expertise heavy than naxx was, so i'm not too worried about that...

Satorri
05-31-2009, 06:17 AM
Aesir's Edge is from XT's hard mode. Are you expecting to do that soon? o.O

But I agree that is a sexy sword as well.

Feanorr
05-31-2009, 09:00 AM

It's from XT hard mode yes, but in normal difficulty. Our raid tried it, with no succes yet but we will definitly give it more try next week.

Satorri
05-31-2009, 12:50 PM
We wanted to see what it would be like and did it this week as well. Though at the time we were in a time crunch and didn't want to spend our whole raid working on that. It did seem reasonably achievable, though it was a real pain.

Nunes
05-31-2009, 07:41 PM

It's easy.

And I passed on Aesir's last week despite rolling 100 (We have open roll for 10m and Loot Council for 25m) because I felt bad for the Fury war OH'ing Death's Bite.

Then the next day Worldcarver dropped and it went to a different DPS war.

Star Scythe
05-31-2009, 09:47 PM
easy... depends on your dps and raid members, but after having done it, i can say that if we can have one of the tanks hit his/her dual spec button and go DPS... taunting sparks is easier than running all over the map grabbing adds,