PDA

View Full Version : Leveling as a Prot Warrior - need some advice

Malatank
05-29-2009, 10:52 AM
(forgive me for my bad english, it's not my native language)

My armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Warsong&n=Malatank)

I'm leveling as a Prot Warrior since lvl 1 - yes, with a Poor Quality shield and up from there. No regrets so far.

I can do quests without much trouble. It takes longer to kill, but as I lvl'ed a Priest before this toon I'm used to it.

That said, I'm having a hard time tanking some mid-lvl instances. Starting with Blackrock Depths, and now doing Blood Furnace, Ramparts and Slave Pens.

My problem is with AoE tanking. I managed to get over it after some runs of Blackrock Depths, but the others are giving me some trouble.

Some things I do:

1) Thunderclap when I can.
2) Demoralizing Shout always up.
3) Vigilance on the Healer (usually).
4) I don't tab-target, also I turned on Enemy Name Plates and I mouse-target instead.

I just respec'd, and put the extra talent point on Shockwave. Also, I read here somewhere that Cleave is good for AoE threat, so I glyphed for it.

I will really appreciate any tips.

Thanks!

Daavos
05-29-2009, 11:10 AM
vig one of your dps - not the healer.

Spam HS. Only use devesate to apply/refresh sunder

I like to vig melee dps as their threat threshold is 110%, but other players just like hunters or mages because of their damage.

this is the edit part

At your level, there is no right way, or the "only" way to tank. Since you're leveling as Tank use this time to experiment with different specs, glyphs, etc. I find you learn more experimenting then parroting what everyone else does. A lot of error makes you understand why other tanks are spec the way they are.

Wukki
05-29-2009, 08:19 PM
I know you said you don't tab target, but try to get into the habit of doing so. Later on, you may need to use your mouse for other things. Plus, it would allow you better use of your cleave, if you are using it.

Malatank
05-29-2009, 10:51 PM
vig one of your dps - not the healer.

Spam HS. Only use devesate to apply/refresh sunder

I like to vig melee dps as their threat threshold is 110%, but other players just like hunters or mages because of their damage.

Thanks, I'll try that.

I know you said you don't tab target, but try to get into the habit of doing so. Later on, you may need to use your mouse for other things. Plus, it would allow you better use of your cleave, if you are using it.

My problem with Tab-Targeting is that it sometimes selects some mob that's not involved into the fight I'm currently on. I find that clicking is more "to the point" when that happens. Also, I usually have to tap Tab key two times for the target to change, I don't know why this happens.

Of course I can try and practice tab-targeting and keep my eyes open for something like this happens. It makes me free to move with my mouse (something that I do anyways, but when I have to change targets I have to stop).

Thanks all!

Doormat
05-30-2009, 06:47 AM
Hey I'm at about the same point in the game as you are. Leveling as a prot warrior. I mark the kill order, spam tclap and shockwave, and use cleave as rage permits. I use a threat addon (diamond threat meter) which displays threat on all mobs involved in the fight (with their corresponding raid marker). This allows me to know who I'm losing threat on and I tab to them or click and shield slam them.

If you're looking for a spec you can check out what I have.

Malatank
05-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the tips. I tried tab-targeting and actually learned it. It's something with my keyboard I guess, I have to tap it "right", lol.

I'll download diamond threat meter, I use Omen3 actually but it only shows the threat of the mob I'm targeting.

Thanks for the tips!

Malatank
06-01-2009, 07:53 PM
I couldn't find a leveling build for a Prot Warrior. Is there any around the site?

I'm full spec'd prot, but I feel I miss AoE Aggro when I need it.

Khek
06-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Hey Malatank,

I don't tab for the exact reason you mentioned. Oftentimes rooms will be full of little clusters and my tab will end up on a mob across the room, instead of what I am tanking. First off, as one of the other posters mentioned, always vig your highest dps threat. Never your healer. Healers very rarely will put out enough htps to pull from you. I made the same mistake and vig'd my healer (early on) until a warrior told me to do differently. Always ninja your highest dps'ers threat with vig. It will save you. While I would love to put my vig on my melee since their threat is 110%, typically ranged is the source of aggro pull, so I usually have to vig mages, boomkins, hunters, locks, etc. Just watch your omen on the first pull and see who comes closest to your threat. Vig that person. If it changes, adjust.

Next, I use a macro for devastate that helps me -alot-. I'll post the instructions for it here for ya.

1) Type /macro
2) Choose "New"
3) Choose an Icon. I chose the devastate icon to keep it simple.
4) Name your macro. I chose "MoDevastate".
5) Click okay.
6) Click on your macro icon in the macro window.
7) Type these two lines exactly as they are here -

#showtooltip
/cast [target=mouseover,exists,harm,nodead] [] Devastate
* the rectangle above is created by doing [ and ] without any spaces

8) Drag your icon to your bar and replace your old devastate icon with your macro icon. Trust me, it's okay that it's a macro.

* Alternatively if you don't wish to replace your devastate icon with your new macro icon, then you will have to drag that macro somewhere on your bars and assign a key binding to it.

Example: You have four or more mobs to get threat on quickly. You /charge in and drop a thunderclap for instant threat. Some of us follow up with a shockwave. Even still some of us follow that with a challenging shout because AoE happy Boomkins or Mages can pull threat from us in a heartbeat. To keep threat, simply target your main target (skull usually) and shield slam and/or revenge and move your mouse pointer to the next target in the group. Hit your button for devastate macro. Move you mouse pointer over to the next target and repeat until all targets have been mouseover devastated. While you are doing your mouseover, you can continue to shield slam and revenge your main target. You can even put your mouse pointer over your main target and drop a few devastates before moving on to the other targets. Every tank has their own rotation.

Hope this helps.