PDA

View Full Version : Getting prepared

Luthor
05-29-2009, 09:36 AM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Trollbane&n=Luthor)

I wanted the advice of the seasoned tanks here. My guild is doing Naxx 10 tonight and was wondering if my gear is ready for it.

22k Armor, 25k Health, 560 Def unbuffed

Also I was wondering if anyone knew the web addy for a place I can go and print out a list of all wotlk boss fights and strategies that is in a condensed printable format.

Jaeden
05-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Pretty good, but your defense is 20 over cap. I'd recommend changing your enchants to stam enchants where you can and working your Sons of Hodir faction so you can get the shoulder enchants.

If you are still over 540 def, replace your defense gems(starting with any that give +8) with exp/stam.

Optimoos
05-29-2009, 09:49 AM
YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!!!

Wait, what is going on in here?

Bastien
05-29-2009, 09:58 AM
I think you'll be fine in 10-man Naxx.

I would suggest that you regem your parry/def gem(s) with str/stam or maybe expertise/hit. You can afford to lose some defense in favor of threat stats.

I, personally, am also more of a fan of the 0/58/13 (http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=2&tal=0000000000000000000000000005005135203102311333 31232150212030200300000000000000) spec for threat.

Luthor
05-29-2009, 10:04 AM
yeah I like the threat I put out.. ive been offtanking and pulled threat off a better geared tank accidently. My biggest problem is having 5+ adds and locking them down on me really quick before dps goes aoe ape-sh*t on them.. examples like H UP skidis hallway or H occulus elementals. Anything that has a big mix of ranged casters and melee. Its a real workout.

Will regem some things today or get some different enchants, I was aware of the cap being 540 but I didnt know anything over that was worthless. Good advice.

Noone knows of a good print off for wotlk boss fights?

Kelstet
05-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Will regem some things today or get some different enchants, I was aware of the cap being 540 but I didnt know anything over that was worthless. Good advice.
I refer to 540 as being the raid minimum for defense to call it a cap implies that it has a ceiling which it does not, extra defense is not a bad thing. If you need other stats and can free up gemming for that it is helpful. I always shoot for 102.4% mitigation still as well, there's a good macro out there that I pop holy shield and hit the button to see where I'm at.

Just my two cents

Kel

sorednbored
05-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Pretty good, but your defense is 20 over cap. I'd recommend changing your enchants to stam enchants where you can and working your Sons of Hodir faction so you can get the shoulder enchants.

If you are still over 540 def, replace your defense gems(starting with any that give +8) with exp/stam.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/baconroll/defcapmarmot.jpg

Kelstet
05-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Just a couple more things,

In looking at your talents I would pull two points out of stoicism, one for maxing Divine Strength and the other to put a put into ret for 1/2 Imp Judgements (crucial for keeping up with the 969 rotation) glyph of Judgement you may want to replace with Glyph of Seal of Vengeance (which should be what you are tanking with anyway) that little expertise helps in the long run. Additionally until you get your hit rating up to where it needs to be I'd recommend dropping the hammer glyph for glyph of righteous defense. This all together should help you out quite a bit. Drop in over at Maintankadin • Index page (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/) for some more reading as well on the 969 rotation and what not.

Hope this helps

Kel

headknocker
05-29-2009, 10:50 AM
You will likely be fine. Having said that, there are some substantive things that you can do in Naxx and before to improve your life and gear. General points:
- Pally's should not gem for strength, parry, or expertise. Your gems should be either defense, stam, or dodge (or some split of those).
- You're probably holding off on the +40 stam enchant to bracers until you get the upgrade. Reasonable, but I'd still grind H OK for bracers of the herald. If you aren't getting lucky, enchant the bracers.
- Chestguard of the solemn council (wyrmrest rep). I'd actually prefer the good old silver plated battle chest to the icebane stuff you are wearing. It has stam, but nothing else.
- Waistguard of the risen knight (AH) or Living Iron (EoH)
- Greaves of ancient evil/draconic sabaton's (wyrmrest rep).
- Following trinkets. Valor medal (EoH), essence of gossamer h AN, laventhor's talisman H vh
- legs from h VH (bolstered)

You'll probably get more threat out of crusade and conviction than SotP, so check out some of the talent builds for options.

Bastien
05-29-2009, 11:11 AM
- Pally's should not gem for strength, parry, or expertise. Your gems should be either defense, stam, or dodge (or some split of those).

Partially disagree. There are probably better things to gem for. Expertise and hit are good threat stats, but generally we (Pallies) can get enough from gear to do what we need it to do. Strength adds threat and some block value, and isn't really a bad thing to gem. Paladins should never gem for parry.

You'll probably get more threat out of crusade and conviction than SotP, so check out some of the talent builds for options.

/agree 100%

It's been shown that the 0/53/18 spec with Seal of Vengence and 969 rotation produce more threat than Seals of the Pure and Seal of Blood.

Ryethos
05-30-2009, 07:45 AM
With regard to the Angry Marmot "Defense Cap" comment: While funny, and while the term "Defense Cap" is somewhat a misnomer (you do continue to get some dodge and parry from it after you're crit immune), any points in defense rating that put you over 540 defense would be better allocated elsewhere, like into dodge and parry rating directly, or into stamina.

My biggest problem is having 5+ adds and locking them down on me really quick before dps goes aoe ape-sh*t on them.. examples like H UP skidis hallway or H occulus elementals. Anything that has a big mix of ranged casters and melee. Its a real workout.

Approaching a large group of mobs the correct way has much more to do with your success in dealing with them than the raw threat you generate does. As a Paladin, you're pretty well equipped to deal with it so long as you know what to do. I typically Consecrate, taunt pull, Avenger's Shield, HotR, then lay down some single threat abilities, tabbing through to even out threat on all the mobs. For the gauntlet in UP you can also use Holy Wrath to pin the mobs down and deal some damage to all, since they're Undead.

EDIT: I also happen to agree with the consensus above that Seals of the Pure / Seal of Blood is inferior to Ret talents / Seal of Vengeance / Corruption, most especially on multiple mobs, but definitely on single targets too.