PDA

View Full Version : Swordshattering v. stoneskin gargoyle

Bays12
05-29-2009, 03:57 AM
Was curious about which way to go. Avoidance, with 4%parry(swordshattering), or 25 def and 2% stam(stoneskin). I see majority with stoneskin but 4% parry seems really nice. Anyway, was curious about you all's take on it. Also, I was fiddling around with some talents and I think that the talent choice 10/10/51 would be really good.. I do not know how to link talent calulators correctly but here is what i came up with. Death Knight - Talents - Thottbot: World of Warcraft (http://thottbot.com/death_knight/t#ea/gF/eo,ykxnYY6).
There should probably be some changes in unholy to maximize dps better moving talents around but I don't have the numbers. Was interested on you all's take on it and yes I purposely put talents into toughness to increase atk power. :) I know the cookie cutter build is 0/10/61 and have researched for hours but since I am not 80 yet with a DK, was wondering about you DK vets out there and your end game experience.

Jaeden
05-29-2009, 08:27 AM
The reason you see Stoneskin on weapons is because without it, it is difficult to reach defense cap without gemming/enchanting everything for it(this may be different in Ulduar, but I'm keeping my garg enc).

My current spec, which with the exception of a couple movable points is regarded as one of the highest dps unholy builds until you are in Ulduar gear:

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Malfurion&n=Nuadda&group=2)

This is one of the actual cookie cutter dps builds. Taking 5 points in toughness isn't worth it for a dps, bad cost/benefit ration.

Molohk
05-29-2009, 08:41 AM
I agree with Jaeden, swordshattering is definitely a nice enchant, but the flexibility you gain from the extra defense in stoneskin is hard to beat. If you don't have any problems staying above 540 defense without the enchant, and you are already have high health, there's no reason not to take swordshattering, but I'm guessing you need a lot of gear to get there (I certainly am not even close, wearing 213-219 gear).

Regarding Unholy DPS specs, the 0/10/61 spec is pretty good, but it takes really good gear to make the most of it. Until you get to that level of gear, you do want to invest some points in blood to buff your damage. In your spec, I'm not sure toughness is better than putting those points into 2H spec and maybe Epidemic or BcB, you're also skipping Unholy Blioght and Wondering Plague which are part of what makes Unholy the AoE powerhouse. The spec posted by Jaeden is pretty solid, I'd probably just take a point out of dirge or bladed armor and put it into ghoul frenzy.

Jaeden
05-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Yeah, 0/10/61 is the top dps spec once you are in full T8 quality gear. Until then, mine is better.

I was actually thinking of dropping Bone shield for Ghoul Frenzy, but I'm wanting to do some dps tests current and with the change before I commit.

Just need the time :P