PDA

View Full Version : I'm Kinda new and need some Help

gypsyfried
05-28-2009, 02:16 PM
I have a level 80 protection warrior, my Def rating is 570, my question is...I have not yet got a good tanking weapon, I am currently using the Titansteel Shanker ( dagger) only because I am partial to blades instead of maces,, People are telling me I should not be using a dagger but no one can tell me why. just that tanks don't use daggers. i understand that Def, block, dodge and parry are most important to me. I thought that until I got a good tank weapon I should use something with high dps. like I said I am new and most people I ask just call me a noob. Can someone please point me in the right direction as to what I should do?

Kazeyonoma
05-28-2009, 03:50 PM
high dps is important of course, but the reason people are telling you not to use a dagger is because weapons are normalized.

In most of your special moves there is a weapon speed modifier that is multiplied against your AP to determine your outgoing damage. For all 1 handed weapons except daggers... this is 2.4 (I need to double check this, I may be off) but daggers are 1.7. Because of the nature of multipliers, this can lead to much smaller attacks than you expect between equal item level weapons. However, in high speed situations with higher heroic strike uptime, fast weapons (including daggers) will win out over this multiplier, and if the dps between a normalized weapon vs. a dagger is great, then the dagger will likewise win out.

Stephanius
05-29-2009, 04:30 AM
Kazeyonoma explained why daggers as weapon type are not you are going for. There used to be a benefit in using fast daggers since their shortcommings were made up for by higher swing speed and more heroic strikes for warriors. With Wrath tanking weapons this is however not the case anymore.

To get a better tanking weapon, Heroic Utgard Pinnacle, Naxx10 and Naxx25 are your targets. I put your Titansteel Shanker and the first couple of tanking weapons into a WoWhead comparison for you:
Item Comparison Tool - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?compare=42435;37179;37401;39344;40345)

Arkunsun
05-29-2009, 06:18 AM
If you need an easy to obtain tank weapon, just do the Argent Crusade dailies. In a couple of weeks you can get enough champion seals to buy the tanking axe from the tournament quartermaster. It's decent enough until you can get the red sword from Utgarde Pinnacle. These will likely be better than the shanker because they will offer a better assortment of stats for tanking.

Also 570 defense is really high (about 30 over the cap) which means you're likely short on Hit, Expertise and avoidance stats. As you gear up you'll find that the better gear has less and less defense and more Stamina, Dodge, parry Strength etc. So having a weapon with a defense bonus will be better to help maintain that 540 rating.

Astemus
05-29-2009, 06:54 AM
I would never let any tank i knew use a dps weapon for tanking (well, DKs and Druids are special in this case). It's simply not necessary anymore. If you can't hold agro, you are either doing something wrong or trying to hold agro against DPS who far outgear you.

The color of your weapon shouldn't be the only thing you see. Go get a blue tanking weapon from a quest till you can get the sword from heroic UP or Naxx.

Karaja
05-29-2009, 08:19 AM
This comes to mind

Wanted: Ragemane's Flipper - Quest - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=12857)

But like others said run UP, and work on the AC dailies.

Kazeyonoma
05-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Defense past 540 is still the 2nd best avoidance stat in the game, barely 3% less effective than dodge, spreads across your avoidance evenly, and provides block on top of it, thus making it super effective as a stat to get even past 540. 570 is fine as long as your not gemming/sacrificing other stats to keep it this high. Otherwise, more power to ya.

gypsyfried
05-29-2009, 01:07 PM
To Everyone who replied!!!!! thank you for taking time out of your day to help me,, I've learned that once you hit level 80 the game becomes a lot more technical, and to be honest a lot of it is over my head.. Thank you all very very much.

Martie
05-30-2009, 02:07 PM
To Everyone who replied!!!!! thank you for taking time out of your day to help me,, I've learned that once you hit level 80 the game becomes a lot more technical, and to be honest a lot of it is over my head.. Thank you all very very much.

Stop.

It's not over your head, just give it a chance.

Once you hit level 80, progression changes from levels to gearing, and that has it's complicated parts for every class.

For tanks, there is a balance that can be hard to find, but once you know what to look for, it's remarkably easy.
Gear for your content, gear for your fight. In the beginning, gearing up should be remarkably easy, since a tanking epic is generally better then a tanking blue. Once you are all epiced out, see what other gear you have and what the effects are. Pre-Ulduar, you have a lot of leeway, so find your playing and tanking style. See what people like in heroics, see when people object, and ask for feedback.

Once you start hitting ulduar, these things should begin to be second nature to you.

But whatever you do, never, ever assume something is over your head.
Sure, you may not understand things completely now, but in time, you will understand, just don't give up trying.