PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Tier 8.5 4-piece

jok2010
05-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Hi all,

To complete the T8.5 4 piece set bonus, which combination of helm/legs would be better overall? (To simplify this question, I'm assuming Chest, Gloves and Shoulders are BiS, and I'm excluding Hard mode gear).

(a) Helm of the Faceless (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45502) + Conqueror's Siegebreaker Legguards (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=46169)

OR

(b) Saronite Plated Legguards (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45267) + Conqueror's Siegebreaker Greathelm (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=46166)

I see most of the worldwide top tanks sporting option (b) which would give (assuming forcing socket colors with Rare gems, and my math is correct):

+826 Armor
+23 Dodge
+2 Defense

but

-21 Stamina
-16 Strength
-59 Parry
-38 Block

I know the right answer is "Get both! And make two different sets." But... if you didn't want to be a loot whore and you wanted to manage your DKP wisely, which option would you pick for your ideal endgame gear and why?

Thanks.

ItZMuRdA
05-28-2009, 11:57 AM
I would definitely go the route of the Saronite Plated Legguards. Imho (and probably the opinion of many others on this site) they're one of, if not the best itemized piece of tanking gear in all of Ulduar. The EH potential on that one item from the huge armor boost and 2 sockets on an item with already-high stam is really quite exceptional. I find them to be a great piece to use in almost any situation. Not to mention, I find the t8.5 leggings to be particularly underwhelming. Between the two, you're pretty much trading block value for armor, and the armor pretty much always wins out.

Don't get me wrong, Helm of the Faceless is a good item, and it's arguably better than the t8.5 helm in many situations given its full avoidance stats instead of shield block allocation, and eventually (as you said) I'd go for both options. You'll want to have a good 2-piece set for when you don't need the 4-piece bonus as well, and that will probably include both of these items and/or some hard mode items if/when you get that far along.

For the meantime, however, if you need to choose one setup, from both personal experience and crunching numbers on paper, I'd definitely recommend the Saronite Legs as your off-set piece if you want an edge on the vast majority of the encounters in Ulduar between the two options you present. This is the setup that I currently use (although I still have 10-man shoulders since we've been killing Yogg for weeks and have yet to see a protector token drop :(), and I would definitely encourage you to shoot for the same outfit. Pick up the t8.5 legs and other offset pieces if and where you can, but if you want to optimize a primary set of gear to aim for first, I think your option (b) is where it's at.

Hope it helps, gl.

*EDIT: Just clarifying that my numbers and my gear is socketed/enchanted for full EH or Stamina, if you will, so the numbers you've put down for pros/cons of each set may not add up with mine. I'm just going off the basis of pretty much socketing every socket with a +24 stamina gem as the baseline, with the same enchants. That being said, just looking at the stats on the items themselves, I'd definitely say option (b) is the way to go with all else being held equal.

Talisman
05-28-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm going for the legs option, not only because the Saronite Plated are so awesome but because Legplates of Sovereignty are so awesome as well. Freeing up my leg slot from set-bonus tyranny means I can swap between those two for a significant shift from EH to threat. It's an option that increases your flexibility to gear to the encounter and opens the very rare opportunity to really stack Armour.

Going for the Helm means a smidge more avoidance. Yipee?

Superspy23
05-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Something was said recently about trying to re balance shields and block etc. to bring warrior survivability up to par. Could mean that things with block will be a little more valuable soon. Maybe another reason to go with option b.