PDA

View Full Version : What should I be doing next?

Luj
05-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Hi everybody,

I have been tanking the easier 5 man heroics (UK, Nexus, VH, AN) and Archavon for a while now and I have managed to accumulate a relatively good set of armor. There is still room for improvement, of course, but there don't seem to be the glaring problems (eg, old level 70 tanking trinkets) that I had before.

(For reference, here is my armory page: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Rivendare&n=Lujanera) )

So now I'm wondering what I should be doing next. I'm just a couple of badges away from getting the 80 badge chest armor, but after that I'm a little uncertain about my priorities. Am I ready for Naxx? If so, 10 or 25? Should I instead focus on the more difficult heroics (UP, Occulus, etc)? Something else?

I'd love to find some new things to do that are both challenging and within my grasp. Nice new gear wouldn't hurt, either. What do you recommend?

As a side note, I am currently on a low population server. My guild is fun, but we do not raid nor do we do heroics together on more than an occasional basis. If raiding is the next step for me, I welcome any suggestions on how to get a spot in a raid as a tank.

Thanks!

kroxix
05-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Luj,

I believe I started tanking Nax 10 with the same stats you have. I would say you are definitely ready to tank any heroic and should probably try some of those out and see how they go. If you can get into a Nax 10 group, that would be a great opportunity to see some more purple in your gear set (but don't be blinded by the color purple!).

Other than that, your gear, enchanting, build, etc look good to start some more difficult content. I would suggest the Zul'Drak instances, and even any of the hard ones that you mentioned. Try getting into a Nax 10 group, that'll expand your tanking experience as well as getting you comfortable in that type of environment. Keep running those easy heroics for emblems, though! Just be persistent and even though some content may start to get boring or trivial, just keep at it and you'll see great success down the road.

As to advice on getting a raid spot, actually getting a spot is probably the hardest part. Since your guild doesn't raid, convincing the raid leader from another guild to let you in on their run as a tank can be a little difficult; since the duties of tanking in a raid can be make or break for the raid. Just let them understand that you know what you're doing as a tank, and any experience you have tanking any type of content. If you understand what you need to do on certain fights as the MT or OT, then you'll be able to prove your worth. Once you can prove that, you shouldn't have any problem getting a spot every week. Do some research on your server and find raiding guilds that need a solid tank. Let them know you're available and willing to fill that spot.

I hope this helps!
Krox

Astemus
05-28-2009, 10:57 AM
I was going to check out your gear, but it looks like you logged out in your PVP gear, so it's hard to tell. I hope that's not your tanking gear! If you've got at least 540 defense and 23k HP you should be ok to start raiding. I'd suggest trying some pugs, see if you can get into an OT spot to see how the fights work and maybe get some gear.

Luj
05-29-2009, 01:41 AM
Krox,

Thank you for the response and kind words. Hopefully I will be able to find a raid spot soon and put my new gear to work. Now would probably be a good time for me to review all of the TankSpot movies on the Naxx bosses.

Astemus,

I'm sorry to hear the armory was showing my PvP gear. I'm not sure why that happened. In any case, here are some of the relevant stats:
28k health
23k armor (60% mitigation)
547 def
20%/17%/17% dodge/parry/block
135 hit (4.12% reduction)
17 expertise rating (4.25% reduction)

Most of my gear is iLevel 200. It has all been gemmed/enchanted, though in some cases I have not used the very best enchants available (probably the worst example of this is +18 stam to shoulders).

Jaeden
05-29-2009, 08:43 AM
I'd swap out your +def and +hit gems for exp/stam. I personally like 2% threat to gloves, but your mileage may vary. You might consider swapping your pure stam for the same.