PDA

View Full Version : What to do about an abusive GM

nature
05-27-2009, 01:24 PM
What can be done when over the period of months your guild master has become more and more vulgar and abusive towards guild members? So much so that they're all unhappy with him. Such that long-standing core raiders have begun thinking of finding new guilds.

Despite repeated attempts to address the issues directly with our GM, he continues to offend everyone. Maybe something happened IRL that changed him, or maybe he's been unmasked as a tyrant--but these points are all irrelevant. He's doing real damage to the guild and he can't be stopped through discussion.

I guess what this thread is truly about isn't "what to do", so much as "how to do it". How does one stage a coup to overthrow the GM and cause as little harm to members as possible? Is it right to log on the GM's character and snatch the guild master position for a more respected leader? What harm will come from that? What will guild members think? Is it simply a bad idea?

There are all these questions and no answers to them. I'm hoping you guys can help with the answers, and maybe there are other factors that I havent taken in to account.

bludwork
05-27-2009, 01:26 PM
/gquit and find a new guild. don't stay in a guild if you don't enjoy being there that's a huge nono for me.

Kalbitang
05-27-2009, 01:27 PM
I've seen a few cases (through forums) where a guild decides to ditch their guild leader and/or officers. If it's the Guild Leader, the only real choice you probably have is to collectively quit and reform. Obviously, there are some that might not join you, but that's the risk you run.

Logging onto his character and hijacking the guild seems the worst route to go.

Tobius
05-27-2009, 02:05 PM
First up I guess you need to find someone prepared to take on the guild leadership role themselves. Then it would be a case of either persuading the GM to step down (may not work) or forming a new guild.

I can't think of anything worse then logging on as the GM and transfering leadership to yourself.

veneretio
05-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Whatever you do, do it with as much grace and respect as possible. Make it very clear if you do it that if anyone is disrespectful about the whole ordeal then they will be removed immediately. If it's going to be some kind of GL ninja, make bloody sure you've got a consensus of who should become the new leader.

Shortypop
05-28-2009, 07:47 AM
I was involved in a massive guild drama ages ago where the GM came back after several weeks away demoted the RL (and effective GM) from officer to member with the result that most of us gquitted and reformed, over a year later on a dieing server I effectively disbanded the guild of which I had become GM over a 2 week period, it was the saddest thing I've ever had to do and yet I remain proud of handling a bad situation. My advice stems mainly from that experience.

Important things to do:
- You'll need a new GM and a core of people not only to sign the guild charter but to become officer. Personally I loved signing a new guild charter and I think it's a good way to start again and have a clean break, it means you can clear out the air, rewrite rules and form with a new ethos.
- If you can find a core of people with similar views etc, sort out raid times before you join up.
- Add guildies who aren't online to your friends list, post on your guild forums why you (as a group) are leaving, or send ingame emails; there's nothing worse than a logging on to find your guild a very different place.
- Make it clear that it's everyone decision to leave and to join you but if they do join they will have to agree to guild rules (which may take a week or two to finalise), that way you have a firm footing to start from. Even if you overthrow the GM having just been through that kind of drama can be a good time to re-affirm a guild's ethos.

/gnomehug

best of luck.

ps. if you ever doubt what you are doing is right think of the quietest and yet nicest guildie you know and ask if he would still respect you after the dust has settled :)

Cookie
06-04-2009, 03:04 PM
If he doesn't even see a problem after people trying to talk, there's nothing you can do other than gquit and reform or just find another guild. If most of the people are unhappy, it's probably better to reform under a new GM since that way, you get to play with your friends instead of having to go through the trouble of finding a new guild.

I gquit a few weeks ago over an idiot GM. At first I was unsure since he was the only one causing problems in the guild, and I had a lot of nice friends there. But after leaving, I'm now in a guild with much better leadership/progression, and I still do pugs/raids with my old friends, so it's great. Staying in a guild with bad leadership isn't worth the stress.

Inaara
06-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Leave and start a new guild with the other members. Then blacklist him. MUHAHAHAHA!