PDA

View Full Version : Curious @ Titanguard and need advise

Titangrip
05-26-2009, 08:50 AM
Hi guys, I need a little help with my gear. Here's my armory.
Armory

My guild is currently farming Yogg-Saron (2nd kill, but 3 tries only!) and yes, Protector shoulders have yet to drop (Double Conqueror 2 weeks in a row?).

I've been comparing Titanguard against Last Laugh, and wondering why people actually consider it a upgrade. So I asked around and they say that the Titanguard has 8 more DPS, which translates to more threat, does anyone have the link to calculate such stuff? Really appreciate it.

Also, I read in a thread somewhere in tankspot that my ideal Dodge : Def ratio should be 2:3, but as you can see in my armory I have 766 def rating (555 Skill) and 653 Dodge. I was wondering if this was healthy at all.

Do you guys have any comment on my gear? I would appreciate it very much.

Also, I've seen people put 30 stamina and 15 resil on their shoulders, is this advisable?

Cheers!

Lizana
05-26-2009, 09:16 AM
How could the titanguard not be an upgrade

Titanguard has 5 Stamina, 4 Defense, 5 Hit, 7.2 DPS compared to the LL's 1 parry rating...

And I dont think you will find a link so i will just say it, the higher dps weapon with the same attack speed means the weapon hits harder, if you hit harder it does more damage to the mob, the more damage to the mob the greater your threat will be on the mob...

As far as the shoulder enchant, that's for tanks that are maximizing their effective heath at the cost of some avoidance. Its up to you if you think you should drop the avoidance for more EH

Kerg
05-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Titanguard is a obvious upgrade for any class except Orc. Orcs get the equivalent of 41 Expertise Rating for using axes, which is pretty sexy.

Lizana
05-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Hes a NE

Eetabeetay
05-26-2009, 08:56 PM
I know that I personally will be switching to the pvp shoulder enchant once i get enough def to do so. EH stacking is definitely the best way to go for progression.

Rhyseh
05-26-2009, 09:08 PM
I know that I personally will be switching to the pvp shoulder enchant once i get enough def to do so. EH stacking is definitely the best way to go for progression.

The current market price of fish is....

What does this have to do with Titanguard?

Titanguard is a direct upgrade from LL for anyone except and Orc.

In regards to defense rating vs dodge rating I would advise heading over and reading Satrina's post on avoidance diminishing returns:
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f63/40003-diminishing-returns-avoidance.html

In short stacking dodge through things like trinkets clearly becomes less appealing after the 400 rating mark, imo anyway.

ItZMuRdA
05-27-2009, 09:52 PM

Ironically, the 15 resilience from the PvP shoulder enchant is actually more crit immunity than the 15 defense from the Sons of Hodir exalted enchant. That being said, you can dip as low as 536 defense while using the 30stam/15resil shoulder enchant and still be crit immune. That's another attractive aspect of this enchant when Ulduar gear leaves you a bit low on defense.

Durandro
05-28-2009, 04:12 AM
Though it doesn't give you any extra block/dodge/parry/miss. So Defense really is the better stat of the two to be stacking.

And yeah, it's an upgrade.

ItZMuRdA
05-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Though it doesn't give you any extra block/dodge/parry/miss. So Defense really is the better stat of the two to be stacking.

As far as the shoulder enchant? Yeah, Defense is definitely far superior to Resilience, but given the specific shoulder enchant, someone who is sitting at borderline 540~ defense especially, could essentially gain more crit immunity from the PvP enchant than the defense, and then be trading off a small amount of avoidance for 30 stamina. Personally, I prefer the 30 stam enchant for full EH purposes, the resil is just a bonus if you happen to dip below 540, but still stay above 536.

Sorry for derailing further.. but to address the OP, Titanguard is definitely superior to Last Laugh for anyone except for an orc, which is arguable, since it's still a better weapon than LL, but Orc's get their racial expertise to kick in.

Squirrelnut
06-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Any ideas for the comparison between Titanguard and Last Laugh for an Orc? I am an orc and love expertise but feel like I am missing out on the higher Ilevel weapon with the +7.2 dps, +5 stam, +4 def, +5 hit, -1 parry

How do those additions compare with the equivalent of 41 expertise (5exp racial)? Either way I would be over the expertise soft cap but I have always liked trying to get as close to the hard cap as possible.

How is 7.2 DPS and 5 hit vs 41 expertise already over the soft cap for exp? 5 stam, 4 def is just a bonus

Superspy23
06-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Any ideas for the comparison between Titanguard and Last Laugh for an Orc? I am an orc and love expertise but feel like I am missing out on the higher Ilevel weapon with the +7.2 dps, +5 stam, +4 def, +5 hit, -1 parry

How do those additions compare with the equivalent of 41 expertise (5exp racial)? Either way I would be over the expertise soft cap but I have always liked trying to get as close to the hard cap as possible.

How is 7.2 DPS and 5 hit vs 41 expertise already over the soft cap for exp? 5 stam, 4 def is just a bonus

7.2 DPS translates to the equivalent of 100.8 AP. (1DPS = 14AP)

Arklay
06-12-2009, 07:23 PM
well now that u got your answer, this is offtopic, i just saw in your armory that u are using a blue gem 24stam in the Ironbark Faceguard, the bonus from gemming the correct color in the helm is +12 Stam, so, if u put a 8Def Rating + 12Stam Gem, you'll get the bonus wich means +24Stam :b and gain the +8def rating that you are losing at the moment.

And if u are over the def "cap" , and feel confident with your avoidance then put a +41Stam in there and it should do the work too.

Titangrip
06-16-2009, 06:38 AM
well now that u got your answer, this is offtopic, i just saw in your armory that u are using a blue gem 24stam in the Ironbark Faceguard, the bonus from gemming the correct color in the helm is +12 Stam, so, if u put a 8Def Rating + 12Stam Gem, you'll get the bonus wich means +24Stam :b and gain the +8def rating that you are losing at the moment.

And if u are over the def "cap" , and feel confident with your avoidance then put a +41Stam in there and it should do the work too.

Thanks for the tip Arklay, choosing my gem slots wisely has never been one of my strong points.

I'm over the def cap, but currently I use my +41 on my Trinket, Leggings and Belt, thats why I kinda socketed a 24 stam in my head.

Please give me advise on my gem choices.