PDA

View Full Version : Def Cap

Luthor
05-24-2009, 07:45 PM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Trollbane&cn=Luthor)

I am trying to get geared for heroics/raids and have quite abit of stamina now but I cant seem to get in range of the 540 def cap. Pls take a look at my gear and point me in the right direction!

Treanie
05-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Personaly, I would swap out the +def/+<other stat> gems for straight +def gems. Not sure if the armory is not showing this, but make sure all of your equipment that can be enchanted, is. You can also build up a good amount of def from enchants. Remeber, 535 for heroics and 540 for raids are the most important numbers to reach. If you have to dump a little bit of stam to get to those numbers, then you should.

P.S. There is no def cap. You still gain benafit from def above 540! 535/540 are just the minimums you should have to make you crit immune while tanking heroics/raids.

Luthor
05-24-2009, 08:16 PM
What straight +def gems are you referencing? Also the enchants was a good idea, I had forgotten how many +def chants are out there and am currently getting them done.

Vindicatar
05-24-2009, 08:30 PM
+16 def gems are thick autumn's glow. also, lose the icebane gear, there are only 2 fights atm that u need to use it, there's better gear out there for new tanks hitting Heroics. gogo the tempered saronite set. and enchant to the max imo, never have piece equipped w/o proper enchants/gems

Blue
05-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Defense gear to get...Wyrmrest Accord rep...boots, chest and cape...wear the tabard, when you do dungeons, to get rep. Check it out...

Harbringerau
05-24-2009, 08:53 PM
I had the same issues with my tank. I have looked at your gear my first point as a pally tank tanking sapp i don't have frost resist gear never have Tanks don't really need it.
I have posted my wowarmory link take a look.

Def and stam gems. some straight defense. Don't forget mitigation dodge/parry and stam.

enchants start with def chants. and stam to help a base hp.

Link : The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gundrak&cn=Harbringerau&gn=Equilibrium)

look for an heroics or go to voa and sarth for your legs.

Luthor
05-24-2009, 09:09 PM
As far as the icebane stuff goes I was looking to get as much stamina as I could out the gate toward raiding and was hoping to gem, chant, gear enough in other slots to maintain them, the frost resist was never an issue I could care less about it. I enchanted all the def enchants I could grab and upgraded thick autumns and changed the meta gem to the pure def and shield block one. So with all my gem's matching their colors and all the enchants I am currently holding at 532 Defense and going to attempt to grab some defense trinkets, in the mean time I am going to gear the belt and chest with the rare chests that were recommended and that should put me at the 540 I need. Lotta good advise in here and I appreciate all of it!

xenogriff
05-24-2009, 11:04 PM
i'm not sure if armory isnt showing it, but considering your a blacksmith, have you also socketed the gloves and bracers?

2 prismatic sockets can help out a lot for gemming for defense

also in regard to your trinkets, since ur 80, there are 3 trinkets with defense i can think of that u can get to up ur defense - theyre all pre bc trinkets so u should be able to solo them easily

1 is from a quest in netherstorm - captain dabiri's something i forget =P
other 2 drop in shattered halls last boss and 2nd boss in shadow labs

any of these 3 trinkets would be better than the AP / chance on attack to deal extra dmg - if ur having issues with threat then i would take a look at ur rotation

in regards to enchants - u dont have the rep for the helm enchant from keepers of time so i would recommend trying to get ur rep up with argent crusade as soon as possible. however u ARE honored with aldor in shattrah, go get the cheapo def enchant for shoulders until u can get the ones from the sons of holdir (which i recommend you do ASAP [note: i notice u havent started on it yet, go get it quick!])

finally, theres a defense weapon that u can get pretty easily in zul drak - its a quest reward for killing ragemane (?) - elite walrus

Muykalo
05-24-2009, 11:40 PM
Essence of Gossamer In Azjol-Nerub It especially suit for Tank at first... ( and I use 'til now)

Red Sword of Courage (http://www.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=37401) from King Ymiron from UP It can fill your Def cap too.

Luthor
05-25-2009, 06:13 AM
I don't know why I didn't remember to socket the wrist and gloves, but I did now and loaded them with 2 thick autumn's glow and now rocking 539 def! Going to go gather the 2 def trinkets and I should be squared away. Much appreciation to all the help guys. Now to improve my stamina back up to 25k lol

Luthor
05-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Ok so I got the trinket from the netherstorm quest and also got the aldor shoulder enchant and currently am rocking 546 def! Time to smash some heroics and eventually raids :D

Arkunsun
05-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Make sure to grind rep with a tabard in those heroics since you'll want the Argent Crusade helmet enchant, as well as the chest from them.

I'd focus on Culling of Stratholm, Gundrak and Utgarde Pinnacle first since they will give you your best upgrades.

Red sword of Courage
Royal Crest of Lordaron
Paldrons of the Collossus
Horn-Tiped Gauntlets

Harbringerau
05-28-2009, 12:17 AM
How many EoH have you got? if you have enough get the shield would be more beneficial for you as a tank.