PDA

View Full Version : How low can we go? Expertise and Hit while tanking

Ulantor
05-24-2009, 07:54 AM
I know we are not in Naxx anymore where we could go crazy with threat stats and say the hell with HP because there was no threat of dying. However, slowly but surely my hit and especially my expertise is being eroded. Drops have just been fail for me in this department, never saw the Maly pants, never seen the Leviathan bracers, or the ring off of Crazy Cat Lady.

Armory Link (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Uldum&n=Ulantor)

I'm down to 23 expertise and 143 hit, and I have the mats or the crafted boots ready and waiting on one more orb. Reducing expertise even further. Starting to feel I should wait to craft them until I get another source of expertise, I use expertise food to bump to dodge cap right now but with the new boots I wont make it.

So what do you all think? What are acceptable threat stat numbers Ulduar for a warrior MT?

Roarc
05-24-2009, 08:25 AM
If threat isn't an issue and you aren't on interruption duties you can by all means drop hit and expertise a bit.

I'm personally often running with hit-capped gear and about 20 expertise.

Regards
Roarc

Dhalphir
05-24-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm down at around 21-22 expertise. My threat overall has gone up due to massive block value on our tier gear, and a substantial AP increase, but I can't wait until I get t8.5 shoulders to replace my Anub'rekhan expertise shoulders, giving me a small increase there, plus allowing me to re-equip my Malygos legs over t8.5, gaining back about 9 expertise.

sicness
05-24-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm down at around 21-22 expertise. My threat overall has gone up due to massive block value on our tier gear, and a substantial AP increase, but I can't wait until I get t8.5 shoulders to replace my Anub'rekhan expertise shoulders, giving me a small increase there, plus allowing me to re-equip my Malygos legs over t8.5, gaining back about 9 expertise.

^Don't know why people are complaining so much about the BV on set items, it's increasing our threat quite a bit. We end up losing hit and exp because of it, but BV is such a buff to our threat that it's mostly worth it. ATM threat isn't an issue for me except on Hodir where I'm moving constantly and dps gets crazy buffs, so until dps catches up to me and really pushes my threat I'll stick around 6-7% hit and my 20-25 exp rating.

Dhalphir
05-24-2009, 07:55 PM
I still like having hitcap, as Shockwave and Thunderclap depend on that, rather than expertise, and the last thing you want to miss is a thunderclap or shockwave when it matters.

thedrawrf
05-25-2009, 08:14 AM
This is a question I've been asking myself as well. For whatever reason, I got on an expertise kick and have 41 right now, and 7+% hit. From what the other tanks here are saying, I guess both of us are good to drop some threat stats for Ulduar. I wonder if this trend will continue in the next raid...?

Kataztrophe
05-25-2009, 03:23 PM
My expertise has dropped by alot since pre 3.1 gear, but my hit is about the same. I keep my hit around 230-ish since I always have a Draenie in my group, but expertise is pretty much just at the cap at 26. If I ever did need more tho, I could switch out a trinket for Norgannon, or replace some 24 stams with +8 exp/12stams.

Kerg
05-25-2009, 05:01 PM
If you're not getting aggro pulled off of you, don't worry about it. My expertise has been going down in Ulduar, but my Hit has gone up to capped at 8%, since Hit is on everything it seems. But I'm focusing almost entirely on EH and Avoidance, because me dying is more likely to wipe the raid than me losing aggro. I crafted the boots. And will craft the belt when it's my turn again for Orbs.

Only issues I have, like someone said above, is Hodir... every now and then someone will pull him off me. But he's tauntable, so I watch for it. And likely if someone is pulling aggro it's because they are not busting the NPC's out of iceblocks like they are supposed to each time. :)

I am running at 8.45% Hit and 15 Expertise (-3.75% To be Dodged/Parried), and 1167 Block Value. And I'm holding aggro just fine.

I would keep focusing mostly on survivability stats in Ulduar if you are MT... BUT as you replace your Naxx epics, build yourself a Threat set. 2-piece Tier 7 bonus is good. Put +2% Threat on a pair of gloves. Swap on a few Expertise pieces to at least get you above 6.5% and Dodge-capped. So... any time you have an issue with threat, you can swap on a few pieces and raise your threat considerably.

Another option (I have both available) is if you are MT, make your 2nd spec a high threat spec like 15/5/51. I use 5/15/51 for most bosses, but switch to 15/5/51 if I need a threat boost. My threat spec also has Blocking and Vigilance glyphs.

If I go full out and switch to my Threat Set and Threat Spec, I can probably raise my threat by 30% or more, without losing too much.

Muykalo
05-25-2009, 05:33 PM
In T8 Warrior Tanking gear set give u more Expertise and hit cap. I have 232 hit and 30 Expertise Then I focus gem to +24 Sta gem that u can check from my Armory. In fact if u don't have Threat generation problem don't worry about it XD (for now because in Ulduar u need more hit but that's not problem in ulduar it has many +hit and + expertise such as Northen Barrier )

Regill
05-26-2009, 06:59 AM
I've been running a 5/10/56 mitigation spec, and in stam / survival focused gear (36.7k hp unbuffed) I'm down to 140 hit, 20 expertise.

Threat is fine for normal boss tanking. It's not high to the point where dps can ignore it though, you need MD and tricks, and some dpsers may need to use threat clears.

I had some trouble when we were working on General Hard Mode, where the ranged can get an absurd buff. However with vigilance, aggro drops the dpsers were able to keep going. I think the warlock was managing something like 9k dps.

The only annoyance I had was rage starvation streaks where I'd run out of rage and have to stop Heroic Strikes, which really crashes threat quite low.

A full threat spec with threat gear, properly done and played will do so much threat, that it is flat out overkill, no dpsers could possibly keep up, even on general or hodir.

Stans
05-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Im at 212hit and 45exp in my current build and Blood spec'd tank. I also have 29.3% dodge/17.5%parry and 33.4k HP with just horn on so I guess it more depends on the gear you have, I don't feel Im losing any stats by having my exp up there, I have a LOT of gear and usually pick the piece between hit or exp based on what has more stam/dodge.

I collect tier gear but I like to not become a 4p bonus junkie like a lot of people are, some non tier pieces are just way better to say well lets DE it cuz Im not gonna lose my 4p! Right now I wear Archaedes legs(no def on them), Ironbark Faceguard, Boundless Ambition, and Breastplate of the Tormented for my higher exp items.

Tarigar
06-10-2009, 09:39 AM
I wish I could ignore 4p tier gear. The bonus it would give warriors is too nice to pass up. I mean a 20% decrease to magic damage, 100% increase to block value and chance to block, every 40 secs for 10 secs. Some fights it is crucial.

I will probably be carrying three sets of gear.

Fayre
06-11-2009, 11:40 AM
My hit's fine (in fact I'm swimming in it) but expertise has taken a real nose-dive. Almost every upgrade seems to nuke it. There are some bits that'll help, like the shoulders from YS or the neck, but I really dislike not being expertise capped and it's putting me off things like the incredible crafted boots.