PDA

View Full Version : Blood Draining - Did we ever get a concensus?

Jericho
05-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Alright picked up myself a new weapon today, and my first instinct was to put one of the new enchants on it.

Accuracy does not appeal to me at the moment. I have no immediate need for hit given the abundance of draenei in our raid group. I have always been partial to Mongoose, but how exactly is Blood Draining for MTing atm? What are the feelings on enchants in general?

I have read the Blade Warding thread and have come to the conclusion that this enchant is just plain underwhelming.

Lizana
05-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Blood draining is a great enchant for progression MT duty. nuff said

Meeks
05-24-2009, 10:48 AM
The enchant is lack luster is clashes with ardent defender. If a hit takes you to around 30% life this enchant can kick you back over 35% and out of ardent defender safety zone.

I'd stick to accuracy, 26 agi or mongoose.

Lizana
05-24-2009, 11:25 AM
That would be great advice meeks if he was just a pally...

Also I have yet to see a single parse from a fight where that happened and it caused a death...

A tick of a HOT can cause cause you go back over 35%... does that mean you dont want any hots cast on you?

Meeks
05-24-2009, 01:11 PM
He has two characters listed, one of which is a prot paladin so I felt that it was relevant.

For hots of course you want them on you. The difference is that hots are not on you instead of something else. Hots also do not automatically trigger at the exact threshold of ardent defender. The other enchants just do better for a lot of classes without providing the potential risks it does for paladins.

Norik
05-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Been wondering about this particular subject myself. Keep waiting for some math guru to post 14 pages of spreadsheets that I dont understand so I can scroll all the way to the bottom of the post and read what the best enchant is.
Finally after months of raiding Naxx I got in on a lucky semi-pug and the last laugh dropped and they insisted I take it over their main tank as I hadn't taken anything all evening. Went with accuracy as the old standby.

Lizana
05-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Lets do some basic math... lets say you have 40k hp as a pally tank, Argent defender kicks in at 14k hp. Even if you had a 5 stack on you of blood reserve, you would have to be hit to 12001 - 13999 for argent defender to not kick in. Lets say on average the boss is hitting for 15k a hit. 2 hits takes you to 10k hp, blood draining heals you to 12k, your argent defender still works.

Lets now say average hit is 20k, now your at 2 hits in blood draining saved your life and ardent defender kicked in.

Lets say the mob only hits 10k average a hit, 3 hits in your at 10k health ardent defender still kicked him and so did the heal...

The chance that you will be hit to the exact range that the heal will bring you above 35%, keeping in mind your healers are already throwing big heals your way to bring you above 35% within the next .5 seconds, is so small that it is really a non factor.

By that logic, the 1 in 999 trillion chance that it will happen so you shouldn't use it, you should not even spec into ardent defender because theres a chance it can be leapfroged, you should never use a fast weapon because it increases your chance to have parries on a boss mob, ect ect...

Ciderhelm
05-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Ignoring the Paladin discussion, Blood Draining, Accuracy, and Mongoose are all very good for tanking as a Warrior depending on what your'e doing. I prefer Blood Draining as a main tank taking the heaviest hits, but I wouldn't get it if I was off tanking.

ItZMuRdA
05-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Ignoring the Paladin discussion, Blood Draining, Accuracy, and Mongoose are all very good for tanking as a Warrior depending on what your'e doing. I prefer Blood Draining as a main tank taking the heaviest hits, but I wouldn't get it if I was off tanking.

Definitely agree here, and I know Blade Ward is currently pretty underwhelming given the fact that the buff is consumed on parry primarily, but you wouldn't even consider including it in that list? I have a couple of high-end tanking weapons atm (everything except Sorthalis), and I'm trying to figure out the best way of organizing my enchants on each one of them. I've been going back and forth with whether or not I should devote one weapon to Blade Ward or not. I currently have it on my Titanguard to try it out, but I'm not sure if I should keep it on one of them, or just keep the other three enchant choices that you mentioned, and not have a 4th weapon with Blade Ward at all. I'm not looking to compare the usefulness of Blade Ward to Blood Draining in a typical MT scenario -- as I definitely prefer Blood Draining there, but I'm just trying to rationalize whether it's worth keeping the enchant on a spare weapon like I do with Mongoose/Accuracy for specific avoidance/threat situations.

I could certainly use some input from yourself or anyone else who has tested Blade Ward against the other 3 competition more extensively than myself as well, and as always thanks in advance for any potential reply.

Jericho
05-25-2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks Cider... My first instinct was to drop Blood Draining on the weapon with the most EH and I would use the most. I am still kind of wary about the low heals per proc but everything adds up in the end.

(and yes, my Warrior is my main and is the MT for our guild. With 10s and 25s trying to actively keep up multiple characters is an exercise is repetitive insanity.)

jere
05-25-2009, 01:40 PM
This is a pretty interesting thread for any paladins considering blood draining:
Maintankadin • View topic - Blood Draining Enchant - TTL Simulation (http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23262)

VEEN
05-25-2009, 02:23 PM
As a druid tank, I was running with Blood Draining on my staff for some time after receiveing Twisted Visage, but have since switched back to Mongoose.

Having said that I have placed Blood Draining on my Origin of Nightmares staff to be used as part of a "stam set", which is used for situations where I am going to take a massive amount of damage and that HP boost is far more appropriate than the agi boost I get from Mongoose.