PDA

View Full Version : Raid tank team

Telemachus
05-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I did some searching and if I missed a post, my apologies. I'm curious how many designated raid tanks you carry on your roster. Of course you need backups and I'm wondering what people would consider reasonable. I'm thinking 4-5 total and having a rotation system, but I don't want to bore anyone who thinks they'll be tanking every raid and then asking them to wait list periodically. Thanks for your time :)

Bulk
05-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Everyone will have a different set up of course, but in my guild we have 4 "main tanks" - one each of Warrior, DK, Druid and Paladin. The druid regularly switches to DPS as there aren't to many heoric fights in ulduar that need 4 tanks. On top of the main team we have 3 more players who are mainspec DPS but with very good tank sets & dual spec (I'm one of these).

Because of sickness/not being able to make the raid, I and the other backup tank still get to tank a fair amount and tank loot will always go to us before other players if the main tanks don't need it.

To be honest our guild isn't organised enough for any kind of ration system, we just kind of see who's there on the night and make a choice based on that. Nicely for me I've been tanking a lot more recently thanks to the warrior DPS problems - the druid does WAY more dps than me in his kitty spec so for progression sometimes we'll switch around.

Take from that what you will, but that's what worked for us.

Norik
05-24-2009, 08:35 AM
We carry 3. Pally , DK , Myself (Warrior) and we have two druids that can bear up if needed.
We use a rotation as far as who gets to tank what boss and thats about it. I usually end up on bosses just to the fact I play way too much and my gear is just a notch or two above the other tanks.

Bragoon
05-24-2009, 08:53 AM
3, Pally, DK, Warrior, and a dr00d who can bear up.

I tend to tank solo bosses because im the only one dual specced prot.

the other 2 can go dps.
and have a good deeps set :O

veneretio
05-25-2009, 12:46 PM
3 reliable ones is all you need with a few dpsers that are willing to use their dual spec to tank and will pick up tank loot whenever they can to accommodate that. 4 would be fine too, but there's not really any fights that need that many so you'd always have some of them dpsing.

Fayre
05-25-2009, 12:53 PM
It depends on how often you're expecting them to raid. If you're expecting 95% raid attendance the answer will be very different from (say) my guild where we don't 'expect' anything. We have 3 plate wearing tanks and a couple of bears on the roster, plus a couple of DPS DKs with tanking gear. That's as much as I'd want to support I think.