PDA

View Full Version : Shields in Ulduar

Tacowallop
05-23-2009, 01:00 PM
What would be the best choice of a shield for progression bosses (survival)

Northern Barrier
Wall of Terror
Barricade of Eternity

Specpally
05-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Truth be told, I'd have to go with The Boreal Guard. It has the stats to rival Wall of Terror and it has two sockets (one red, one blue)

Tacowallop
05-23-2009, 01:35 PM
well, dont have that yet i was just wondering which of those three would be the best option

Dhalphir
05-24-2009, 12:35 AM
Survival : Boreal Guard
Threat: Northern Barrier
All-around: Boreal Guard

ItZMuRdA
05-24-2009, 09:29 AM
The Boreal Guard is definitely the winner, but based on your list, I'd suggest using Wall of Terror for where the survivability matters, and Northern Barrier for threat-intensive situations. Once I had both of those (especially after the Stam buff to Wall of Terror), I found myself not using Barricade of Eternity much at all any more. I'd personally hang onto those two, and pick yourself up a Boreal Guard for all around superiority whenever you can, then you'll have 3 good options to choose from depending on the scenario.

Hamburglar
05-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Shieldwall of the Breaker is better in every way over Barricade of Eternity with the new buffs to it. At least in my opinion. :)

ItZMuRdA
05-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Shieldwall of the Breaker is better in every way over Barricade of Eternity with the new buffs to it. At least in my opinion. :)

True, that's a good option if you're still using Barricade. I neglected to mention that actually, it's a pretty solid choice.

I just never find myself needing the broadly allocated stats on Breaker or Barricade any more, I either want the full survivability of Wall of Terror or full threat of Northern Barrier... and I haven't been lucky enough to get a Boreal Guard drop yet, but when I get that it should round out my overall setup quite nicely between the 3. Actually, to be honest, Boreal Guard will probably end up replacing my WoT altogether for raid situations, and I'll just end up using BG and NB. I may just keep Wall with a 20 defense enchant for the pure mitigation purposes in a high block set for soloing old content or something. :P

Cromamos
06-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Item Comparison Tool - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?compare=40400;45707:40119)

This is a comparison of the Shieldwall of the Breaker with a +24 stamina gem (with socket bonus) to a Wall of Terror. Would anyone consider the Shieldwall of the Breaker be favorable to the Wall of Terror?

From my own calculations the effective health comes out to slightly favor the Wall of Terror while the avoidance between the two is negligible. Does the slight effective health advantage edge out the expertise on the Shieldwall of the Breaker? Or are my calculations wrong?

Heladys
06-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Item Comparison Tool - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?compare=40400;45707:40119)

This is a comparison of the Shieldwall of the Breaker with a +24 stamina gem (with socket bonus) to a Wall of Terror. Would anyone consider the Shieldwall of the Breaker be favorable to the Wall of Terror?

From my own calculations the effective health comes out to slightly favor the Wall of Terror while the avoidance between the two is negligible. Does the slight effective health advantage edge out the expertise on the Shieldwall of the Breaker? Or are my calculations wrong?

The comparison fails to actually count the socket bonus on the shieldwall. With a 30 stam gem it has +8 stam relative to the WoT. Granted, it lists the socket as available, but we all know what's going in it.

marklar
06-16-2009, 04:52 PM
he uses the 30 stam gem to account for the 24 stam gem + 6 stam socket bonus...