PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming changes to Jewel Crafting

Warwench
05-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Upcoming Jewelcrafting Change - Wowraid Bluetracker (http://wowraid.com/tracker/b4/t17345044964/upcoming-jewelcrafting-change.html#0)

As someone who just leveled this, ouch. That makes things a lot more difficult. Especially with no hybrid gems.

Means instead of

2 x +27 STR gemsin red sockets and as my "blues" i will have 2x +8 STR/+12 STA

So I actually LOSE 16 STR out of this deal, assuming I have the right colored sockets to make it work ..

so much for the +32 STR JC was supposed to give.

Edgar
05-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Kind of sucks but still one of the best professions.

Optimoos
05-22-2009, 10:55 AM
WOW I just finished dropping like 4000g levelling this profession specifically to never have to worry about meta requirements... f u Blizz.

Esch
05-22-2009, 11:45 AM
WOW I just finished dropping like 4000g levelling this profession specifically to never have to worry about meta requirements... f u Blizz.

That's the problem. Jewelcrafting is the 'best' profession over all for the dragon's eyes & trinket options. I've been expecting a nerf, frankly, but I never would have theorized this as it.

I'm impressed by the elegance of the solution, as the profession still has the dragon's eyes, but will cost folks some of the extra freebies of socket bonuses & meta. At the same time, Blizzard is doing a rare 'refund' to compensate, probably three (3) tokens, so folks can quickly reset from this change. Won't stop the QQ, but that's unavoidable.

All in all, JC is still solid, though I think this pulls it back to being a profession choice instead of 'the' profession to choose.

Hamburglar
05-22-2009, 12:25 PM
If something ain't broke, you can be sure Blizzard will break it.

Lore
05-22-2009, 12:26 PM
You'll still be gaining 33 str over what you would have gained otherwise. The difference is that currently you're gaining 48.

Optimoos
05-22-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't buy the trinket story. The trinkets were not even part of my consideration for levelling JC. Sure, they are nice if your JC is high level while levelling or right as you cap, but if you're switching to JC with any modicum of end game gear, you will likely have better trinkets already.

JC for me was:

1) 3 Powerful gems
2) Match 2-3 socket bonuses I may formerly not have met.
3) No need to gem to meet my meta requirement.

As far as I'm concerned, they can drop the power of the dragonseyes to blue gem or even green gem statistic boosts if I can keep the socket and meta benefits. As has been said many times already, the "power" of the dragonseyes will severely diminish upon the arrival of epic BoE gems, which will negate their current solutions grace and complete the cycle of taking JC from Great, to average, to outright awful. However, as they didn't have the foresight to see JC being overpowered (I cannot believe this wasn't obvious), so I have little confidence they have the foresight to see this outcome either.

TL; DR - I don't mind a JC nerf, just do it differently.

Cookie
05-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Well, I did say in a few other threads that the FOTM min/maxing profession changes every patch, but somehow there's people who insist that it won't -.- "Owned".

Forklift
05-23-2009, 10:24 PM
The problem I have with the nerf is that it came so late. After we had all dropped thousands of gold and hours upon hours leveling and grinding and farming mats to level it. Why couldn't they fix it with the 3.1 release? Hell, why didn't they realize it was overpowered when they first released WLK? A blind monkey could tell you it was significantly better than any other profession for 75% of class/specs.

As for the trinkets, no, they're still some of the best. Monarch crab is now basically third-in-slot after Ignis25 and Yogg10 drops. And the owl is still really amazing for paladins and shamans.

Bayho
05-26-2009, 09:41 AM
I did not foresee this change, either. The reason I initially switched to JCing was because of the vast amount of hitpoints I could get from the trinket + gems, which was really nice as a tank. Now, with another HP trinket that drops and with epic gems coming in the future, it will make the profession underpowered to other professions, unless they implement epic trinkets. The socket and meta bonus was simply a nice convenience, I never thought they would nerf that.

Tankette
05-26-2009, 10:09 AM
I just dumped Alch for JC this weekend. The nerf just doesn't seem like that big a deal to me. Ya, I have 41 stam dragon eyes in some yellow and red sockets right now that I will have to move but it isnt that big of a deal. Maybe I'll use a 27 expertise gem in a red socket or something. My expertise has been so low since I started getting new gear in Ulduar that my threat has dropped a bit.

Korrvel
05-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Every time someone mentions the epic gems that people found in the game files as a reason this nerf makes JC obsolete, I cringe. You cannot get those gems yet. You have no way of knowing blizz won't also make new JC gems available.

Rennadrel
05-27-2009, 05:14 PM
It shouldn't matter if JC is OP or not, it is the most beneficial profession for raiders, not so great of a money maker anymore since so many people picked it up that raid. The nerf to socket bonuses from the Dragon's Eye gems was completely uncalled for, I really don't see how giving meta and socket bonuses from prismatic gems is OP. Honestly, I wouldn't complain so much if they actually provided gems for all classes and specs of each specific colour to match gem sockets, I mean there isn't even a blue socket gem that is worth it for those who use plate DPS, I don't like using 16 AP + 12 stam just to get socket bonuses when I can use 27 Strength as a prismatic for a socket bonus and for the meta requirement.

Neptunes
05-28-2009, 04:11 AM
Sure the nerf of the prismatic gems sucks. However they had to do something about the wildgrowth of all the JC's these days. It was either buff other profs or nerf the most popular one. Now we all know Blizz usually takes the easiest solution....

However I really hope these nerfs will result in people dropping JC or at least think again about starting to level it now...
I have been a JC from the start of tbc and will never drop it. Eversince WotLK came out i seen my income drop by the day. It seems my whole server is now a JC. And that in itself is unbalanced...
So long story short, depending on the outcome of this nerf, I think I will be happy about it

Tankette
05-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Ya, I kept waiting for them to do something to my Alchemy to make it comparable to JC but they didn't so I switched. They could have upgraded my trinket at least or given Mixology a boost. Even with the coming nerf to JC it will still be better than Alchemy.

Rennadrel
05-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Ya, I kept waiting for them to do something to my Alchemy to make it comparable to JC but they didn't so I switched. They could have upgraded my trinket at least or given Mixology a boost. Even with the coming nerf to JC it will still be better than Alchemy.
Thing is that they still hit Alchemy with the nerf bat by reducing the durations which were perfect for raids, who really cares about the material value? Now flasks cost like 15G on my server and the mats are dropping in value insanely fast. When I start playing again, I think I will roll a mage and level with tailoring and inscription since I already have an herbalist and the shoulder enchants are insanely good for even a level 70 they can be considered OP.

kyle46
05-29-2009, 10:26 AM
As much as the nerf sucks for not getting the meta or free socket bonuses anymore that isn't what has me worried about this nerf. I'm more concerned that when 3.3 drops JC will be extremly underpowered due to the new levels of gems. As it stands now you get 17 extra stam per gem so 51 extra stam total. When epic gems become available that will drop to 11 stam per gem which is a 33 stam increase which is signifigantly lower than what the other proffesions will have at that time.

dagimp007
05-29-2009, 11:12 AM
It shouldn't matter if JC is OP or not, it is the most beneficial profession for raiders, not so great of a money maker anymore since so many people picked it up that raid. The nerf to socket bonuses from the Dragon's Eye gems was completely uncalled for, I really don't see how giving meta and socket bonuses from prismatic gems is OP. Honestly, I wouldn't complain so much if they actually provided gems for all classes and specs of each specific colour to match gem sockets, I mean there isn't even a blue socket gem that is worth it for those who use plate DPS, I don't like using 16 AP + 12 stam just to get socket bonuses when I can use 27 Strength as a prismatic for a socket bonus and for the meta requirement.
i dont know how full your relem is... but in mine i am spending 500g a week on saronite and turning it into 1k-2k gold with JC...

dagimp007
05-29-2009, 11:13 AM
only problem i have with this as of right now is that i have to make sure i stack up on my gems since i will have to resocket everything to make stuff work

Lexxaa
05-31-2009, 09:35 PM
i think i read a blue post somewhere regarding compensation for the nerf when it hits, since pretty much every JC has to re-gem their gear over again.

whether that will just be some JC tokens or some badges to buy blue quality gems i dont think anyone knows yet

Genova
06-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Or possible they will come out with epic only JC gems that have meta bonuses.

We can only wish, and hope and dream. Im fine with JC at the moment, crab still rocks face with heart of iron.

Kinetix
06-02-2009, 05:48 AM
If they do this nerf, they should change the sockets that they put on our gear. 8 strength/12 stamina gem on dps gear? F that. What a waste. And I have 3 sets of gear. So just 3 tokens won't cut it.

SNB
06-03-2009, 02:48 AM
People are saying that they don't mind JC being nerfed, but in another way?
How would they have to nerf it then?

With this nerf JC is brought in line with other professions roughly, and in most cases slightly superior even.

But it still gives you more choices especially for DPS, you can still boost a random stat instead of AP/Stam/Spell power.
Stacking extra Strength over raw AP is superior.
Having the choice to add hit if needed (especially in pretty bad gear) is great.

The JC was needed and they solved it in the correct way, you gain the same increase in stats roughly as other professions but you are more diverse in doing so, I can't think of a better way to 'fix' the profession.

Forklift
06-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I can: Do it six months ago. Or even do it with 3.1. Or, you know, have a brain and not have imba JC bonuses from the very beginning of Wrath.

Every retard knew JC was imba. Every single retard. How did it even make it past the testers?