PDA

View Full Version : Ready to tank Naxx 25?

Tankinthis
05-20-2009, 05:24 PM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Cho%27gall&n=Tankinthis)

harder hitting bosses in naxx 10, Patchwerk, Gluth, Sapphiron, Maexxna when enraged, and the short enrage time Faerlin has before dps can kill an add, can drop my health pretty fast and this has me worried about stepping into heroic naxx, would i be fine MT in naxx 25 or should i stick to 10 mans for more upgrades?

Kerchunk
05-20-2009, 05:30 PM
You're fine with good healers. Don't take slackers to heal you, though because it's going to be tough the first couple times. :)

headknocker
05-21-2009, 04:07 AM
You'll be fine. Also bring a good off tank. You'll end up playing the fights a bit differently on 25 man until you get geared (or sometimes after). Examples from above:
- With maexxna you'll probably have your OT taunt and bubblewall/shieldwall before the second enraged web wrap as you will probably burn your cooldown on the first one.
- With Gluth, you'll probably have a 3rd OT/plate wearer on the zombie chow
- Faerlin, you'll have a priest mind control the adds so they sacrifice themselves

You will probably have a bit of trouble with patch unless you have really rocking healers until you've cleared the first two wings (spider/plauge) a time or two and geared up your raid.

You've probably gotten used to never having to use your emergency buttons, put them back in the rotation as you gear up. We may have fewer of them than some classes, but a 2min cooldown on bubblewall generally means 2 uses a fight as you're progressing.

Lordstr
05-21-2009, 06:31 AM
I have a question about you spec.

Why did you get Reckoning 5/5 and skip over Toughness?

with 5/5 in toughness increases armor you get from items 10% and reduces fears and stunes 30%

edit. We are in smillar gear but you are a little better but I have over 2k more armor then you that reduces damage taken by amost 2.5%

edit 2: Here is my armory page The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Area+52&cn=Decent&gn=Final+Element)

headknocker
05-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Oops, I should have checked talents as well. You definitely need toughness, can drop reckoning, only need 1 point in spiritual attunement and need to add a point in improved judgement. You also don't need benediction. Lordst's as good a baseline as any, though for max threat the SotP points would produce more in Crusade.

Lordstr
05-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Oops, I should have checked talents as well. You definitely need toughness, can drop reckoning, only need 1 point in spiritual attunement and need to add a point in improved judgement. You also don't need benediction. Lordst's as good a baseline as any, though for max threat the SotP points would produce more in Crusade.

I was hoping someone would look at my spec and let me know how I was... I am OT for my guild in 10 man Naxx, and they are going to try out Maly the Flame L.... in Uldum. Do you think i would still have the gear for that?

headknocker
05-21-2009, 12:24 PM
So with Flame Levianthan, your HP and damage scales to item level (the actual stats don't really matter). You should be fine, but a little more 213 gear couldn't hurt. Since the stats themselves don't matter you can cheat a bit by doing things like the icebane girdle and chestguard which have an ilevel of 213. Only try that if you can't get it done with the gear you have (unless its already in your bank). You may struggle a bit with the follow on bosses, but you'll gear up and should be able to do it.

In general pally's shouldn't gem for expertise, so swap with stam, dodge/stam, or def/stam gems. Get +22 def to chest and free up a bit more gear for stam gems. Even if you lose the socket bonus, pure stam or dodge/stam will be your best bet in most slots for Ulduar.

Lordstr
05-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Thank you for letting me know. I will have to wait until after the raid tonight because i get no time from getting off of work before it starts.

Tankinthis
05-21-2009, 02:45 PM
I have a question about you spec.

Why did you get Reckoning 5/5 and skip over Toughness?

with 5/5 in toughness increases armor you get from items 10% and reduces fears and stunes 30%

edit. We are in smillar gear but you are a little better but I have over 2k more armor then you that reduces damage taken by amost 2.5%

edit 2: Here is my armory page The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Area+52&cn=Decent&gn=Final+Element)
I took reckoning to help when soloing and i have never had a boss chain parry because of it and 5 talent points for 2% less damage taken seemed a bit steep for me, although if it really is i big help i would respec for it.

I have a few questions about your spec as well, you have two points in imp judgement, and i was told that more than one was a waste, is this false?

You skip divine guardian and this is a talent, that to me at least, is a big help with less damage taken, on top of having to cast sacred shield less often.

I also rarely have a problem with threat, should i still put points into conviction and heart of the crusader?

Leeah
05-22-2009, 09:17 AM
I have a few questions about your spec as well, you have two points in imp judgement, and i was told that more than one was a waste, is this false?

Two points in Imp Judgement isn't needed, one point makes your tanking rotation go much more smoothly, with no pauses waiting for cooldowns on your key abilities, allowing you to keep building threat steadily as well as maintaining your self-buffs at all times. Its known as the "96969" rotation. Basically spending one point makes your Judgement become a 9 second cooldown, allowing it to fit neatly in with other key spells which are all on 6 or 9 second cooldowns. Ten, or eight-second Judgements throw everything out of order, and you will find this can cause problems when DPS classes are going nuts, and you are just randomly mashing keys trying to get threat, any threat.

I use, Holy Shield, (Avengers Sheild on initial pull) Consecrate, Judgement, Hammer of the Righteous, Sheild of the Righteous, and lately have been throwing an Exorcism in as well, as its a longer cooldown I use it in place of a Judgement, then next rotation around I'll Judge instead. Theres a good guide, not sure if I can link or not, I just Googled "Paladin Tanking Rotation" and found Tannyr's Guide.

headknocker
05-23-2009, 09:30 AM
2 points in judgement doesn't help you, but I suspect he took it as a 'I needed to burn the 10th point somewhere to get to the 3rd tier talents' choice. Its either that or benediction and neither produce much return. The 'stock' pally spec is:

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=2&tal=0000000000000000000000000005005135203102311333 31232151130050000300000000000000)

Some do divinity rather than divine sacrifice. Some take points out of conviction for PoJ (I do). You should have toughness.

Tankinthis
05-23-2009, 01:34 PM
2 points in judgement doesn't help you, but I suspect he took it as a 'I needed to burn the 10th point somewhere to get to the 3rd tier talents' choice. Its either that or benediction and neither produce much return. The 'stock' pally spec is:

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=2&tal=0000000000000000000000000005005135203102311333 31232151130050000300000000000000)

Some do divinity rather than divine sacrifice. Some take points out of conviction for PoJ (I do). You should have toughness.
I've respeced and taken the talents suggested here.

thanks for all the help, but i still have one last question, i'm having a problem finding the best answer option mentioned in the how to fully utilize the armory R&S forum sticky, was this feature removed?