PDA

View Full Version : Dk Expertise? (Tank/dps)

Oit
05-20-2009, 04:19 PM
I know that the hit cap is 8% spell being 17%
I've been told that to remove dodge i need 26 expertise, and to remove parry it's 57 expertise.

Now the simple question is how effective is expertise, knowing that a solid half of my 'abilities' are in fact spells, Does expertise play that big of a roll?

I read some where that up until 26 expertise, you actually have a higher return from expertise then you do from hit, so which should i go for first, hit cap or expertise dodge cap? I'm not really sure how this stat effects us and i cant find a solid reference as to how or why.

As for the dps side of it, is it worth stacking Expertise up to the 26 dodge cap, instead of stacking say str instead?

Esch
05-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Expertise to the 26 skill level is worth it all the time. It reduces parries, outright negates dodges, improving your melee hits. Being hit capped isn't the same as Expertise capped, as a mob can still parry/dodge until you're at the appropriate Expertise level. The higher return of Expertise is that until you hit 26, you negate both dodge and parry... afterwards, you're only negating parries.

Given that parry is estimated be from 12-18% depending on who's numbers you quote, most folks settle for the soft cap of removing dodge at 26. Note most major DK damage sources are melee based (Deathstrike, Scrougestrike, Obliterate, to name a few).

DK spell hit is a little wonky, as there seems to be some middle ground between the 8% melee hit and 16% spell hit. I don't see Bloodboil, for example, missing when used in aoe pulls, and I see comparable parries to spell misses overall. Satorri posted some numbers, but I didn't see them in my cursory search.

Oit
05-20-2009, 04:44 PM
So what you are saying is it is true that until 26 you do get higher returns from expertise then hit, My Tank set is currently like 5% hit and 20 Expertise, Would it be better to get hit capped or expertise 'dodge capped' first?

Telix
05-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Note most major DK damage sources are melee based (Deathstrike, Scrougestrike, Obliterate, to name a few).

Generally you're right, but just as an aside I'd value Expertise slightly lower for Frost Tanks. A greater proportion of Frost's damage is from HB/FS, neither of which is affected by Expertise. Having said that - unfortunately all the Ulduar upgrades I've seen seem to have more Expertise rather than Hit.

Oit
05-20-2009, 10:46 PM
ok so I assume that I'm on the right track with my tank set, my dps set is both hit and expertise cap(something close to spell cap, 14 odd %) will having expertise gems instead of say str help my dps or am i just pretty much just trading one stat for anouther?

Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thrall&n=Oit)

vine
06-02-2009, 05:08 AM
Pro Tip: Don't log out in PvP gear