PDA

View Full Version : Initial Threat generation

celtus
05-19-2009, 10:27 PM
So, I'm half way thru Ulduar 25 and struggling with initial threat as the dpsers get geared.
Normal rotation = FFF,mangle,Maul,Lacerate+maul x 3, repeat

I MT more than I OT more than I Dps, more than I get to play silly laser chicken (usually just for XT-02 for adds)

I find that my threat problems only exist in the intial 0-6-12 seconds(depending on what gear I have equppped). By about 15 secs into a fight, my rage bar is normally so full that it doesn’t matter which rotation I'm using, I never deplete my rage and my threat is rocketing to the heavens. At that point even the 7K+ dpsers, haven't got a hope in Hades of pulling aggro.

Now, I'm a self confessed loot whore, so besides my Bear (and Boomkin dual spec) set, I have an additional 18 pieces of Bear gear and I switch gear in or out to suit a boss, or our mix of healers on a given night (yep we struggle to get 25 permantly available raiders,often 1 or 2 short or have dual specc'd healers). So when I'm in my Full Stam set ( 52K hp, 31K AC, 40%dodge 5.4K AP), everyone is aware to take it very slowly to start, but I put on my normal bear kit (42K hp, 30.5K AC, 49%dodge 6.3KAP) and my threat still seem to be a logrithmic start for several seconds.

Getting dps to hold for 4 to 5 secs is one thing, expecting them to cool it for 10sec is a whole new ball game.

My Cat gear is hit capped, but my Bear sets, only range from 150 to 200ish. I'm extremly close to the Expertise cap (no parry damage). Should I be sacrificing expertise for Hit? Will the extra hit over come the slow threat initiation? Is that worth more than being parry proof?

Ushebti
05-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Post your armory, and also there this is a post I made about Feral rotations.

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/49702-clarify-inform.html

But Lacerate is first really not that good as a threat-gen. only when it gets to 5 stacks, so I do swipe in those 6-12 seconds.

And get 8% hit or 7% if you are Alliance so your mangle and FFF doesn't miss in the intial aggro period.

celtus
05-20-2009, 02:26 AM
Armory Link

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Aman'Thul&cn=Celtus&gn=Pacific+Phoenix)

Got lots of alternative pieces, but this is the main gear. Got a few cat talents, so I can maintain approx 4K dps on a boss as a cat (depending on usual variables).

Not sure if moving 5 points over into Master shapeshifter is worth it.

Its just the first 10 to 12 sec seems to be the issue, after that threat seems fine