PDA

View Full Version : sbv and resil

towndrunk
05-19-2009, 09:57 AM
im a little a.d.d. so ill try to pose my two questions as best as i can

1 After reading a lot on tanking, i saw a post that recommended a pvp trinket as a good threat boost. It went on to say, that with resi u could drop your def to under 540 is there a set number of res i would need per point i loss to make it up? ie i go to 535 so i would need 100 reis?

2 I mainly gear for avoidance, but after talking to some ppl and wanting to get into pvp i started a sbv set. my question with this is would res help with the mitigation of incoming damage? ie boss hits me for xxxx> i blocked xxx>res x so i only take y damage? or does it not work that way?

Kazeyonoma
05-19-2009, 10:08 AM
res only works for crits, and since bosses can't crit you (you're at 540+ defense right?!) res won't do anything for you.

The threat boost trinket they're referring to is this one:

Battlemaster's Accuracy - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42129)

Gives you a ton of hit, and the on-use is a nice health boost, kinda like a mini-last stand.

towndrunk
05-19-2009, 10:19 AM
ok thanks

Kazeyonoma
05-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Anytime bud.

Superspy23
05-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Resilience also affects damage over time effects. This can sometimes be helpful in PVE but not usually a consideration in gearing because there are no bosses that will wipe you with their heavy DOT mechanic overshadowing any benefits of the more traditional survival gearing choices.

Oh and by the way you would only need 16.4 (not 100) resilience rating to equal 5 defense skill (not rating) points and make up for only having 535 def and still be un-critable to a raid boss. I used the resil chest enchant to get my tank set up to crit immunity when I was just a bit shy.

Rhyseh
05-19-2009, 08:28 PM
The stam, resil shoulder enchant is also useful for allowing you to drop marginally below the defense cap.

damnpatch
05-22-2009, 05:52 PM
res only works for crits, and since bosses can't crit you (you're at 540+ defense right?!) res won't do anything for you.

The threat boost trinket they're referring to is this one:

Battlemaster's Accuracy - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42129)

Gives you a ton of hit, and the on-use is a nice health boost, kinda like a mini-last stand.

If I understood the OP correctly he had a slightly different question than you are answering.
You *can* be crit immune with a mixture of resilience and defense skill.

82.0 Resilience Rating = 1% less chance of being crit
25.0 Defense Skill= 1% less chance of being crit
1.0 Defense Skill = 4.92 Defense Rating.

For example, using Anvil of Titans - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44914 ) you will be uncrittable with a 515 Defense.

Interestingly enough, resilience offers, point for point, more crit reduction than defense, though you obviously lose mitigation of all non crit attacks.

Kazeyonoma
05-25-2009, 12:16 AM
well yes, of course you can combine resil and def to reach your def minimum, but I responded to his question about using the pvp trinket for a "threat" boost.

Resil alone provides 0 threat boost so I assumed he was reading about the dps trinkets.

Kazeyonoma
05-25-2009, 12:17 AM
well yes, of course you can combine resil and def to reach your def minimum, but I responded to his question about using the pvp trinket for a "threat" boost.

Resil alone provides 0 threat boost so I assumed he was reading about the dps trinkets.