PDA

View Full Version : Tank Raid Minimums (all 4 classes)

Lunik
05-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Sorry if this has previously been discussed, but I have been unable to find a thread covering this.

Our guild is currently working on and progressing through 10/25 Ulduar. Recently we had a couple of tanks stop playing the game, so we are down to 2 (myself and a prot pally). IMO, everyone needs to be able to do their job to be able to attend a raid, so, if someone can't tank say, Nax25 with their current gear, they can't just show up and 'dps' and get handed tanking gear in the process. This has lead me to wondering how to guage the gear level of the various tanks as objectively as possible. It will also give prospective raiders something to reference so they know what their goals are.

So. I am our tank lead, and am looking for some feedback in the area of raid minimum stats for the various levels, including 10/25 T7/75 content, and Ulduar10/25. I am having a hard time coming up with numbers without them seeming arbitrary. Any advice or reference is appreciated.

Horaxe
05-18-2009, 05:26 PM
I use WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings (http://wow-heroes.com/) when looking at new recruits or pugs, it's a good "general" overview of their ability to participate in a particular instance. You have to take this with a grain of salt however, because let's face it. Great gear does not a great player make.

Lunik
05-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Well said master Yoda ;)

I have used sites like that, and a few others on a regular basis, but like you said, I have been hesitant to say "This little line has to be at this point for you tank X" Would that be a bad thing? :confused:

Panelo
05-20-2009, 12:27 AM
I have played a tank from day 1 as a warrior, i loved every minute of it and i had talent. but it took me ages to break into the right guild that suited me so my gear was never fantastic, i dont know if anyone remembers the warrior specs from back then but ARMS was considered a dps/pvp spec similar to now and yet i was primarily Arms then into prot to finish off. with this spec i Offtanked and occasionally main tanked ZG + MC more times thn i can remember so although my gear was not great and we had several more warriors that were full prot and yet i was always second tank.
similarly now, i rerolled palatank for WotlK. My uncle playes palatank also and he is ready to raid Ulduar with regards to gear, yet his head is never on the game and frankly has very little instinct and so his guild will not take him.
So i guess my point is, Take in people u know have ability and can handle pressure. as a tank and a raid leader im sure u know how much responsibility you have to the raid and gear is obviously fantastic. but i would always value Skill, class knowledge, awareness and Fearlessness in a player before i ever value their gear.
It is just my oppinion but i hope it helps :)

Lunik
05-20-2009, 05:00 AM
Thank you for the comments Panelo. I agree with you already, and I may not have made my goal clear. Generally I like to go with the feeling of people, and not be such a rules lawyer. However, I do think that having some set numbers down help from the standpoint of being a point of reference from a goal perspective (tank is gearing up, and they know what they are shooting for) and for gauging (in the rough sense) when a tank is ready for certain content.

When choosing members, we try to focus on the person. I never meant for something like this to be the sole determinator.

Harbringerau
05-22-2009, 12:25 AM
I am in the same boat with my guild i am a prot pally and love tanking can solo tank sarth one drake with our decent dps. But with ulduar finding a reliable ot is hard many player think because they can do certain things they think they are ready for ulduar. I have full confidence in my guild but still some of the tanks really need to look into the gear they have and the style they play i am actually trying my third tank for ot which will be a druid. will let you know who it goes.