PDA

View Full Version : Prot Warrior Cooldown Rotation

Ahrla
05-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Long story short: my guild broke up just as 3.1 came out, so I had to find a new guild. Eventually I did, and last night I finally, finally got a chance to use my new cooldown rotation.

First, my armory:

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Doomhammer&n=Ahrla)

Here are the cooldown chanages that were made in 3.1:

Last Stand: Cooldown reduced to 3 minutes.

Glyph of Last Stand (Major): Now reduces the cooldown of Last Stand by 60 seconds. The penalty on maximum health gained has been removed, which means I can increase the amount of health I get if I make sure to have Commanding Shout up all the time and if I pop a Nightmare Seed before using Last Stand (although I can only do the latter once a fight).

Glyph of Shield Wall (Major): New glyph that reduces the cooldown on Shield Wall by 2 min, but Shield Wall now only reduces damage taken by 40%.

And there's this old talent, which I've ignored in my builds:

Improved Discipline: Reduces the cooldown of your Shield Wall by 60 seconds

Also, there's my four-pieces T7.5 bonus of increasing Shield Wall's duration by 3 seconds.

So, combine all those things and we get:

Shield Wall that reduces all damage by 40% for 15 seconds every two minutes.

Last Stand that increases max health by 30% for 20 seconds every two minutes.

Shield Block that increases your chance to block and block value by 100% for 10 seconds every forty seconds (no change, I've always been doing this).

Defender's Code that increases dodge by 455 for 20 seconds every two minutes.

Okay, so not exactly up there with Death Knight cooldown rotations, but I could potentially have:

Second Ability
------ -------------------------
0 Shield Block begins
1 Shield Block
2 Shield Block
3 Shield Block
4 Shield Block
5 Shield Block
6 Shield Block
7 Shield Block
8 Shield Block
9 Shield Block ends
10 Shield Wall begins
11 Shield Wall
12 Shield Wall
13 Shield Wall
14 Shield Wall
15 Shield Wall
16 Shield Wall
17 Shield Wall
18 Shield Wall
19 Shield Wall
20 Shield Wall
21 Shield Wall
22 Shield Wall
23 Shield Wall
24 Shield Wall ends
40 Shield Block begins
41 Shield Block
42 Shield Block
43 Shield Block
44 Shield Block
45 Shield Block
46 Shield Block
47 Shield Block
48 Shield Block
49 Shield Block ends
60 Last Stand begins
61 Last Stand
62 Last Stand
63 Last Stand
64 Last Stand
65 Last Stand
66 Last Stand
67 Last Stand
68 Last Stand
69 Last Stand
70 Last Stand
71 Last Stand
72 Last Stand
73 Last Stand
74 Last Stand
75 Last Stand
76 Last Stand
77 Last Stand
78 Last Stand
79 Last Stand ends
80 Shield Block begins
81 Shield Block
82 Shield Block
83 Shield Block
84 Shield Block
85 Shield Block
86 Shield Block
87 Shield Block
88 Shield Block
89 Shield Block ends
90 Dodge Trinket begins
91 Dodge Trinket
92 Dodge Trinket
93 Dodge Trinket
94 Dodge Trinket
95 Dodge Trinket
96 Dodge Trinket
97 Dodge Trinket
98 Dodge Trinket
99 Dodge Trinket
100 Dodge Trinket
101 Dodge Trinket
102 Dodge Trinket
103 Dodge Trinket
104 Dodge Trinket
105 Dodge Trinket
106 Dodge Trinket
107 Dodge Trinket
108 Dodge Trinket
109 Dodge Trinket ends
120 Shield Block begins

This all pre-supposes that I'm perfect on my timing. Also, on certain fights I may want to save the "big" cooldowns for special abilities - like on Deconstructor, I found it best to wait for a Tantrum before popping Shield Wall or Last Stand.

Still, in an ideal rotation, I will have either Shield Wall, Shield Block, Last Stand, or a Dodge Trinket up for 85 seconds out of every 120 seconds.

In order to have the necessary glyphs for this rotation, I gave up Glyph of Blocking, which was 10% more to Block, and Glyph of Revenge, which gave me a free Heroic Strike every time I hit Revenge (this is huge for threat generation). Neither was a big deal while main-tanking, but it became a pain in trash clearing, especially the threat part. My secondary spec is a Fury build I only use for dailies and which, I think, will never be a raiding spec. So what I may end up doing is creating a secondary prot spec with Glyphs of Revenge, Blocking, and Shockwave, to help with trash clearing and the like. I'm still waffling about whether to do that or not.

Last night was my first chance to use the new rotation in a stand-up boss fight. My new guild uses World of Logs, which takes some getting used to and doesn't parse incoming damage in a way that's terribly useful. Still, I was able to gleam some good stuff from it.

The fight lasted 6:40. During that time I had:

11 Shield Blocks
4 Shield Walls
4 Last Stands
3 Defender's Code

I was perfect on everything except my Dodge Trinket.

During the fight, I was hit by unmitigated melee 23 times for an average of 18,600. I blocked 40 times for an average melee hit of 16,170, which seem to indicate I blocked for an average of 2,430. I either dodged, parried, was missed or completely absorbed 61% of all incoming melee damage. I absorbed a total of 221,800 damage, averaging 5410 absorbed damage per hit.

The above doesn't account for Last Stand boosting me to well over 50,000 health and preventing me from being killed.

I looked through past logs and took at a time when another prot warrior in my guild tanked Runemaster. The other prot warrior has slightly better gear since he's been raiding Ulduar longer than I have.

If I'm reading the graph correctly, he tanked Runemaster for five minutes (it looks like Runemaster was the second guy killed). In that five-minute period, he was the recipient of 15 unmitigated hits for an average of 18,550; blocked 22 times for an average of 2,200 blocked; and dodged, parried, or was missed on 69% of all incoming damage. He used Shield Block five times, Last Stand once and Shield Wall once. He absorbed a total of 75,786 damage, with an average of 6890 absorbed damage per hit (his average is higher because his Shield Wall absorbs 60% damage while mine absorbs 40%).

In short, looks like a complete wash. His extra misses are balanced by the greater amount of damage I absorbed and the extra number of times I was standing there with 50,000+ health.

So, I'm not certain if the cooldown rotation is a win or not. At the very least it seems viable compared to "old-school" warrior tanking.

If anyone else has any comments whatsoever, I'd love to hear them, even the "you suck and your rotations suck". This rotation idea is completely my own and if it simply doesn't work, I'd rather know sooner than later.

Whaddya think?

Grombrindal
05-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Well, not really on point here, but do not use Last stand during Tantrum, it hits you for 10% per tick anyway, so it'll just do more damage to you w/ last stand up... so if you must use it use it immediatly after the tantrum.. of course following by enraged regeneration.... :)

Grom

Doormat
05-16-2009, 04:13 AM
I would be curious about tps on the boss. Did you have any issues?