PDA

View Full Version : Taking someone under your wing...

RialÚv
05-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Well, I recently took a short break from WoW to finish moving into my new house, and just recently got an e-mail from on of our Healers talking about a couple new members.

Now this particular healer is one of my fellow Officers and thus, has a lot of discussions with the administrative side of the guild. Apparently we had a few new members join our guild while I was away. Both of which are related to a current member of our guild, one of our top DPSers.

From what I understand, as they have been labeled "the rag tag group" none of them are particularly great, but at least a couple can be molded.

This is where I come in apparently. Since one is a DK, a class which happens to be a particular fortÚ of mine, I'm to take him under my wing. Which I suppose is fine, the only problem with that is... I'm a tank. Not a DPSer. However according to our last officer discussion, i'm the only one that would have the patience to work with this person :P Our other DK DPSer is just a little too blunt when it comes to explaining things.

So therein lies the problem... I'm sure that I could most likely improve this person's performance to some extent, but with my limited experience in DK DPS i'm sure I wouldn't be optimizing it.

I suppose perhaps to introduce this person the the DK Compendium? That seems to be a very good thread devoted to DK DPSing post patch. Other than that I don't know how much help I could actually be. I'm great at the theory and mechanics side of this class, but the rotations of DPS compared to my own are most likely significantly variant.

Well, sorry for the biblical size of this post, but I figured I'd give you all the Details.

Pesko
05-14-2009, 11:33 PM
you sounds like a great guy, willing to help even as you got no real experience, in this case deep explanation of dps as DK, well.. you poroboly know the main factors of dps as DK, and you can allways refeer to places to seek knowledge such as here, mmo, wowwiki, elitist jerk, or even maxdps.com.
When your padiwan got the main rotation on spot, he should be able on his own to devolop it to his MS, UI, boss, timing etc.
Not sure if i understanded this post completely, but hope you can use it.

RialÚv
05-14-2009, 11:40 PM
Well, I'm the raid leader, so I suppose it's my job to make sure that everything is going the way it's supposed to. And everyone is doing their job to the best that they can. If I can help with that I will.

I imagine that I understand enough about a DK that DPS probably wouldn't be infathomable for me to do, but I'm certain I'm definitely not going to work out all the details.

As far as addons and UI's, I can handle that side of it, or explaining exactly what someone's job is. (since that's my job in the first place :D)

Pesko
05-14-2009, 11:42 PM
hehe true that :) as Raid leader your job isn't to make sure everyone everyone is topping the perfornace, but to make sure they are following tacs and such. that other part is the class/roll leaders job ;)
But.. Its nice to see a raid leader taking a such action :)

RialÚv
05-14-2009, 11:52 PM
hehe true that :) as Raid leader your job isn't to make sure everyone everyone is topping the perfornace, but to make sure they are following tacs and such. that other part is the class/roll leaders job ;)
But.. Its nice to see a raid leader taking a such action :)

Yeah you're correct there. I suppose it's a guild mechanics thing, wherein we don't exactly have Role Leaders, but we do have class officers... fortunately (and this is sarcasm at it's finest) I'm the DK AND the Lock Officer...

But being one of the 1st class officers I suppose gives me a sort of responsibility to make sure the other members are doing what they need to. Everyone in that position fulfills that role well, and I wouldn't want to be the blacksheep.

Pesko
05-14-2009, 11:57 PM
ahh.. now i better understand your consern :)
Sometimes (don't thing anyone can disagree on that) you do fell a bit more connected to a person than others, so you will automatic pay more attention to the persons performance. Just keep lecture him :) Others will automatic pay attention to the person if he goes form ie. 10th to 3rd on dmg meter, plus it will make your selfasteem rice to the skys. :)

RialÚv
05-15-2009, 12:08 AM
ahh.. now i better understand your consern :)
Sometimes (don't thing anyone can disagree on that) you do fell a bit more connected to a person than others, so you will automatic pay more attention to the persons performance. Just keep lecture him :) Others will automatic pay attention to the person if he goes form ie. 10th to 3rd on dmg meter, plus it will make your selfasteem rice to the skys. :)

Well, I'm not lacking in the self-esteem department, if anyone has read my DK Downers blog, that would be why :D I've definitely felt like a benefit rather than a liability.

But I understand what you mean. I suppose there would be a sense of accomplishment when turning someone's DPS around. This one however is going to be one hell of a project tho :P From what I was told his DPS was pretty dismal... BUT that's what respecs, reglyphs, and lots and lots and lots of dummy practice is for.

If I could I'd get him to roll on the PTR Realm, which is where I always suggest testing new specs, and ideas to my guildies. Some do it, some don't.

Pesko
05-15-2009, 12:16 AM
hehe :) projects are all ways good, atleast if your as bored as i am;)
Had kind a look a like project myself with a kid a little time ago.. was annoyed when he ended outdpssing me :D

orcstar
05-15-2009, 04:00 AM
Coming into an established raid guild without prior experience can be pretty overwhelming. Don't focus on the technical side of rotations and spec only but also on the "raiding experience". How raiding can be fun and how individuals can all help making things go smooth.

RialÚv
05-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Coming into an established raid guild without prior experience can be pretty overwhelming. Don't focus on the technical side of rotations and spec only but also on the "raiding experience". How raiding can be fun and how individuals can all help making things go smooth.

Absolutely, that is my biggest focus with our raiders is to make them enjoy it rather than think it's work. Despite it being work, it's a game... it's intended to be entertaining...

So... myself... in vent, at 3AM is pretty goddam entertaining :D