PDA

View Full Version : Quick theorycraft question on Stamina and HP

Corto
05-13-2009, 03:42 AM
I've done a few searches but haven't found a direct answer to this; but if you know of one please let me know. I'm sure I'm missing something blatantly obvious, but for the life of me I can't think what it is ! :confused:

I've never done much theory-crafting but decided to look a little more into some numbers and started by looking at how your total HPs are calculated (well, you have to start somewhere !). Obviously, ignoring things like food/buffs/etc; what I've found from various sources so far is:

*) 1 Stam = 10 HP (apart from first 20 stamina which = 1 HP each)
*) Protection Warrior talent Vitality 3/3 = + 6%

But that would mean a Prot tank with 2120 Stamina would sit at around 22.3k HP; when the actual number in reality is closer to 30k unbuffed.

I'm sure I'm being stupid here and overlooking something really obvious; and maybe it's the late night I had last night(!); but could someone point me in the right direction please ?

Stengel
05-13-2009, 03:51 AM
Base health.

My draenei warrior has 9611 health completely naked,unbuffed and with 6% stamina bonus from Vitality. A only 167 stamina.

Corto
05-13-2009, 03:57 AM
Base health.

My draenei warrior has 9611 health completely naked,unbuffed and with 6% stamina bonus from Vitality. A only 167 stamina.

Ah, of course !
Just checked and according to WoWWiki, Warrior base health at L80 is 8121; so that plugs the gap nicely (I'm a troll, so no other racials to consider).

Thank you very much for the help.
:cool:

jere
05-13-2009, 05:11 AM
Something else odd about the health equation is that it also subtracts out 180.

so the general health equation looks like this:

Base_health + Talent_Multipliers*10*Stamina - 180 + Health_Enchants

Corto
05-13-2009, 05:26 AM
Something else odd about the health equation is that it also subtracts out 180.

so the general health equation looks like this:

Base_health + Talent_Multipliers*10*Stamina - 180 + Health_Enchants

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks both.
:cool:

Corto
05-13-2009, 06:14 AM
... posting a supplementary question here to avoid clogging up the forum up too much with daft questions ...

What I eventually want to gain is a fuller understanding of are some of the key measures of tanking gear, in order to make better-informed decisions about various gear sets.
i.e.
to understand the maths behind decisions like those in the rather excellent best-in-slot guide (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/46235-best-slot-warrior-tanking-gear-glance.html). At the moment I do OK going on a basic understanding of certain stats (and "gut" intuition), but want to learn more.

What I really want to find are the mathematics behind determining whether ItemX is a better piece than ItemY for the major tank gear sets (EH,Avoidance,Threat,Block).

I do realise that there are tools already available (e.g. http://www.tankspot.com/index.php?pageid=Calculator); (http://www.tankspot.com/index.php?pageid=Calculator%29;) but I actually want to understand how they work and so far I've been unable to track down explanations. The closest thing I've found is this article: TankSpot - Effective Health (http://www.tankspot.com/index.php?pageid=EffectiveHealth) which I think is now out of date (it doesn't provide the same answers when numbers are pumped through it anyway).

What I'm most interested in are current formulas that relate to:
- Effective Health
- Avoidance
- Threat
- Block/Trash sets (not sure if this is specific enough an area to have straightforward maths behind it).

I've searched here, WoWWik and EJ and haven't found recent posts explaining the maths involved in determining these figures, so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.
:confused:

/Edit - an example to illustrate what I'm looking to discover:

Protection Warrior Shields for Effective Health:
Best-in-Slot is certainly Boreal Guard, but which would be second best in practice ?
- Using the calculator, a gemmed Shieldwall of the Breaker would give you the next highest EH score (the extra stamina just out-weighing the additional armor that the other contenders offer.
- But Northern Barrier has more armor as well as higher defense.
- The Wall of Terror has similar mitigation stats to the NB, but has greater strength and dodge.

I suspect that in terms of an Effective Health calculation the preference would more-or-less be the order they're mentioned here (perhaps swapping WoT with NB due to the strength contributing to increased block value?); but I'd really like to be able to put together some sort of mathematical "proof". I guess some factors are dependent on variables (e.g. attack speed / dodge ?); but I'd be happy picking some reasonable constants for the purposes of this exercise.