PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Plating or Def.

Caddy
05-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Hi all!

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thrall&n=Hozz)

I'm considering doing some tweeking to my set.

Regarding my shield enchant, I've currently got Titanium Plating but someone had suggested that I look into the Def. enchant to further increase my mitigation.

Thanks
Caddy.

Dubzil
05-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Defense will give you avoidance, Titanium Plating will give you mitigation.
Titanium plating is alright for trash so you block most all of a hit, but on a boss it won't help much where defense will win.

hbombs
05-11-2009, 10:21 AM
I currently have defense to shield but will be switching to 18 stamina. I believe its the best enchant for the second half of ulduar. the BV really wont do much for you on hard hitting bosses.

Both defense and Stam are better then BV.

clavarnway
05-11-2009, 12:07 PM
With bosses hitting as hard as they do, the avoidance from 20 defense rating is pretty nice, although if there's alot of magic damage flying around 18 stam is nicer. Just feels dirty using a old shield enchant.

morelore
05-11-2009, 12:22 PM
18 stam is strictly less ivalue. If you have any other defense enchants or gems, replace those with stam first. Defense to shield is the best value for the slot enchant, and should be on there (for progression, anyway) until you don't need *any* defense gems or enchants at all.

The titanium plating goes on your block set shield. It's not worth it for progression.

clavarnway
05-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Yeah titanium plating is useless for progression. It doesn't help land Taunts, so it's not as good as hit, and it doesn't really keep you alive - the day that that much BV saves me, I'll donate 10,000g to a noob guild to start off with. :D

Ugron
05-11-2009, 01:05 PM
I dont think that BV is that bad imo better to block the hit then take the full front of it

I mean right now with all the preist shields and the shamans ancestral fort and with critical block i think BV is over looked in most cases i mean 6K? crit blocks arent bad i go with 40block value on my tank shield and my guild progesses just fine no complaints from healers then again i am already at 555def so i just felt 20 more def wasent the best idea

Dubzil
05-11-2009, 01:06 PM
where do you get 6k blocks from?? even in my BV set i get maybe 2k blocks max

Ugron
05-11-2009, 01:13 PM
with shield block up? and on a critical block you only crit block for 2k?

tuffmuffin
05-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Shield Block + Critical Block
And just some quick math to expand on it...
Say you have 1800 BV from your character screen raid buffed, and we'll assume you don't have the Defense/Block Meta, that will mean you have 1385 BV base (1800 / 1.3 (talents))

1385 + 1385 (100% from Shield Block) + 415 (30% from talents) = 3185 Blocked
3185 x 2 (Critical Block) = 6370 blocked.

clavarnway
05-11-2009, 01:49 PM
then again i am already at 555def so i just felt 20 more def wasent the best idea

I'm not being a douche, I just want to point out that saying this is similar to saying "I already have dodge rating, I just felt more dodge wasn't the best idea"...except it's even sillier, because Defense spreads your avoidance around, so you suffer less from diminishing returns. Defense is a GREAT avoidance stat, and even better for shield tanks because we get free block rating.

Rhyseh
05-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Defense to shield is best

Motoma
05-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Or, you get two shields, one with avoidence stats and one with EH.

For instance, right now I use Northern Barrier for most encounters, but I got 20 defense on my Wall of terror, 18 stamina on northern barrier, and once I get Boreal guard I'll put 18stamina on that for my Eh set, and probably change the Northern barrier to blockvalue, due to it's TPS'ish nature.

If you want to settle for one, I'd recommend 18 stamina however. Yes, the value is lower but if you use no defense gems or other enchants elsewhere (except helm and shoulders, obviously), it's the most balanced enchant, but that's just a personal oppinion.

Taoden
05-12-2009, 12:10 AM
If you think of item values in terms of what you can gain from a single gem slot, 20 defense to shield is worth as much as a 30 stam to shield enchant would be. In that sense, it is the best enchant for the slot.

Even on an EHP set, 20 defense is still very valuable because you still need avoidance. With very hard hitting bosses, avoidance buys your healers an occasional break to catch up or save your ass. 20 defense most likely is the best enchant for increasing your expected time to live against most bosses.

Also important is the flexibility that 20 defense adds. Using a higher item level enchant on your shield for defense will allow you to maximize the EHP you can gain from your other gear slots. Maybe you have Gatekeeper - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40370) or something but using a 0 defense ring would put you under 540 defense. 20 defense to shield helps avoid this problem.

40 block value is a gimmick enchant for gimmick gear on gimmick fights. You do not want to use this enchant on any piece of gear that you plan to be tanking any sort of progression boss with. The survivability that it adds is far less than 18 stam or 20 defense. If your guild is progressing "just fine" with this enchant on your shield, it's in spite of the fact more so than because of it. Clearly your choice of shield enchant will rarely make or break your ability to defeat an encounter, but the goal is to give yourself the maximum possible chance to succeed and that includes choosing the best possible enchants available.

pktan
05-12-2009, 12:37 AM
For me, +40 BV to shield enchantment is to increase the Shield Slam Damage. I view this more of a +threat enchantment. Not so much of a defensive enchantment.

Impeesa
05-12-2009, 03:43 AM
18 stam is strictly less ivalue. If you have any other defense enchants or gems, replace those with stam first. Defense to shield is the best value for the slot enchant, and should be on there (for progression, anyway) until you don't need *any* defense gems or enchants at all.

Careful with the broad rules, though. Consider: I am barely riding the line on the defense cap, I am using 3 def/stam gems to stay over, yet I am using stam to shield (and shoulders, for that matter). Why? Well, if I were to swap to def to shield and swap my def/stam gems to straight stam, I'd have a net change of -10 def, +0 stam. In this particular case, socket bonuses made gemming for defense first a much more efficient proposition.

Denaro
05-12-2009, 03:51 AM
I am going for titanium plating as soon as auriaya or Malygos drops my shield :)

Brucimus
05-12-2009, 09:53 AM
It's a good idea to have 2 shields...mix and match match and mix.

veneretio
05-12-2009, 09:57 AM
With balancing one's set with 540 Defense Skill still a cause for concern during Ulduar, I think it's really foolish to not use 20 Defense Rating to Shield. It's one of the best places to put a Defense enchant with only the cloak enchant for Defense being better.

Kataztrophe
05-12-2009, 12:18 PM
As the above stated, as you get more Ulduar pieces you will drop near 540 defense so you might need to stick with 20 def to shield. I only need about 3-4 drops out of Ulduar 25man now not counting hard mode loot, and just was able to get rid of defense gems since it dropped amazingly low.