PDA

View Full Version : Axe of the Sen'jin Protector

Gargantax
05-07-2009, 06:44 PM
I haven't seen much mention of the Axe of the Sen'jin Protector and where it rank in comparison to the other Nax / Ulduar tanking weapons. It's mentioned in the 'Best in Slot' thread, but there's not much breakdown on the good and bad of it, expecially for an orc.

Thoughts?

Worth grinding for?

Rhyseh
05-07-2009, 07:31 PM
In short it's not a bad tanking weapon for an Orc personally I haven't compared the two due to the Axe only coming into existance recently and it being below my content level. So I'll compare them now.

First I'll list the stats for me to refer to:

Axe of the Sen'jin Protector
Speed 1.70
143.2 DPS
29 Strength
43 Stamina
44 Defense
19 Parry

Red Sword of Courage
Speed 1.60
143.4 DPS
25 Strength
58 Stamina
38 Defense
26 Hit

So with a Direct comparison Axe of the Sen'jin Protector has:
+ 0.10 swing speed
+ 4 Strength
- 15 Stamina
+ 6 Defense Rating
+ 19 Parry Rating
- 26 Hit rating

The amount of Parry on this weapon is trivial and for the content this weapon would be used in (Naxx) the hit and swing speed on RSOC is far more valuable than the Parry and extra defense. The extra Stamina on the Sword also makes it much more desirable from a survival stand point.

However, the above summary does not take into account the Orc racial of 5 expertise as mentioned by the OP, which in plain form is ~41 expertise rating (if my math is correct, verification is required), which makes a big difference:

+ 0.10 swing speed
+ 4 Strength
- 15 Stamina
+ 6 Defense Rating
+ 19 Parry Rating
- 26 Hit rating
+ 41 Expertise Rating

Suddenly the axe is very appealing, especially when you consider that most tanks aiming for this weapon would be below the 26 expertise dodge cap, thus expertise being significantly more beneficial for threat purposes than Hit rating. However the flip side to this is that the loss in stamina makes it worse from a survival stand point.

So in conclusion FOR AN ORC the Axe is better for threat but worse for EH. For all other races RSOC is superiour in all departments. My reccomendation is to use the RSOC where survival is a concern and the Axe when threat is required, as an Orc at any rate.

Wyleai
05-08-2009, 08:37 AM
I use it for my Tauren Warrior tank.

Frankly getting it is much easier than getting RSOC. You can only run H:UP once per day, have 1 in 4 odds of the right drop, unknown odds that a group mate won't try to ninja it out from you for their 'off-spec' or 'mage tanking' or to d/e... and, if PUGing it, unknown odds that you will make it past the hallway gauntlet...

I've only made it through that gauntlet once, in every other run, I had healers not moving out of the way of the whirlwind. Only made it the last time because, I was there as DPS on my DK, and on a whim taunted him right before he 1-shot the standstill healer, and it worked - so I kept taunting everytime he whirlwinded, and ran until the actual tank got him off me. I guess now that I know that I could tank it easily, but you still have good odds that a healer will be so close to you that they'll get 1-shot at the same time as your taunt goes off... That gauntlet just seems to confuse the average PUG-team.

Is the Axe the best weapon at the naxx-10 tier? Probably not. But its easy to get and will last you through until something better drops in Naxx or Ulduar. And that's what counts - it gets you beyond heroics.

Trullion
05-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Ok so how does it stack up with the Infantry Assault Blade? I already have the Infantry Assault Blade and want to know if this is an upgrade for me. And I guess most importantly will it generate more threat?

As it is, it lowers my dps which says to me that it does not generate more threat. But then I'm still a noob...

Wyleai
05-08-2009, 11:48 AM
They seem close in equivalency:

Item Comparison Tool - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?compare=37179;37401;45204&focus=0)

Blade has the advantage of expertise.
RSOC has the advantage of defense and hit.
Sen'jin has the advantage of defense and parry.

- Expertise is usually the most desired of the threat stats. But the gain Blade gives here might not be worth the things it gives up.

Trullion
05-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Thanks Wyleai!

CKaz
05-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Same question comes up on the Alliance side with
Teldrassil Protector - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45076)
Of course we have no race gaining expertise from an Axe

So generally I imagine this will lose to the well-geared
However it may well serve a purpose early for a lot of Defense and good early weapon through dailies